Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Define Successful Sifu

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha
    I'd have to disagree with your conclusions about giving it away. No accomplished kung fu student every gets anything of value for nothing, yet the payment may not be in terms of money. There are some things money can't buy.

Are we still talking about what makes a good Sifu or are we now talking about how to build a successful Martial Arts Business?
    In not sure that you read my earlier post where I said:

"I think if you give students too many options, charge too little etc you devalue what you are selling. The key is to make the kung fu accessible in terms of time, money, effort but don't just give it away or the students won't respect you and what you have to teach."

So I'm not just talking about money. I suppose if we equate money with "life energy" which in a very abstract way it is, then the "life energy" put in through training and the "life energy" put in through money are not that different.

But there needs to be some level of sacrifice in terms of time, money and effort on the part of the student or they will not value what they are learning. This is just human nature. We do not value what we can easily obtain.

Fu Pow

Thats sensible.

Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pow
    In not sure that you read my earlier post where I said:

"I think if you give students too many options, charge too little etc you devalue what you are selling. The key is to make the kung fu accessible in terms of time, money, effort but don't just give it away or the students won't respect you and what you have to teach."

So I'm not just talking about money. I suppose if we equate money with "life energy" which in a very abstract way it is, then the "life energy" put in through training and the "life energy" put in through money are not that different.

But there needs to be some level of sacrifice in terms of time, money and effort on the part of the student or they will not value what they are learning. This is just human nature. We do not value what we can easily obtain.
    well it certainly seems like money has got alot to do with how much u teach ur students. it shouldnt even be about money at all. student pays monthly fees and thats it, no extra charges for new technique or new form.

on ur last point, it is true we do not value wat we easliy obtain, but i still dont see the connection where u charge them money for it

you can easily make them work harder for it.

for your information fu pow, my sifu doesnt teach us according to our money contribution.

One who genuinely cares for his or her students above all else

Ron Goninan
    China Fuzhou Zhenlan Crane Boxing Australia
    White Crane Research Institute Inc
    http://www.whitecranegongfu.info
    A seeker of the way