Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling a little uncomfortable

Feeling a little uncomfortable

So I got clocked pretty good while sparring the other night. By the time I got home and showered, my eye was swolen up tight and I couldn't open it. D@mn, I haven't had a black eye in about five years. Guess I need to work on slipping a bit more.

Anyway, I work in a government office and wear long button up shirts mostly to cover up my tats and stuff. Now I've got a sh!tload of meetings that I can't skip and my bosses keep stopping by my office to discuss work issues and I have to sit here while everybody looks at my world class shiner.

I'm feeling a little out of place here. I wish I could work at a kung fu school to support my family.

Has anyone else been embarrassed as a result of a fight or sparring session while at their desk job?
    Last edited by Hard Fists; 06-29-2006 at 04:47 AM.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    not me but I've got students who have.

Ming Yue, who posts here, actually got approached by DSS because someone reported her as being possibly in a bad situation due to the bruises on her arms when we all started Pong Lai.

I have one woman who trains pretty hard and when she first started her arms were black and blue for weeks...and otherwise tinted from the Jao...she had to cover up due to her job. she's also gotten one black eye that luckily wasn't an issue because she didn't have anything important coming up.

now, she'll ease up a bit and will wear face mask for sparring if she has a big event coming up.

if you start catching grief for it, talk to your teacher and he or she should understand when you might need to ease up a bit.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I don't mind the grief so much, it's just weird when people come by and ask me what happened. It's kind of hard to play low key around here. I guess it is kind of funny, my division director just left my desk after a 10 minute long anecdote of his college boxing years.

eh...well, if you're not being told it's 'unprofessional' then just relax in to it and revel in the legend that will grow about how much of a bad ass you are.

the worst black eye I've ever had was three years ago when this scrawny but very hard edge dude cracked me right on the edge of the orbital socket...had to come back to work at a private school that week....
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Nothing to be embarassed about. Wear it like a badge of honor. If someone asks about it, just tell them that you got popped pretty good while sparring and invite them to the school to try it out.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

as a person who is prone to self injurious behavior i have complete sympathy. When i did judo i managed to dislocate my shoulder ( and relocated it a week later landing from the same throw that initially hurt it), sprained my ankle, and broke a rib (all separate injuries). Going to work all banged up became pretty common and ppl were always making a huge deal out of it. you get sick of explaining the stories. Now in this kung fu school my fore arms are always bruised from sam sing and it gets so hot in my office i put my sleeves up and then comes the barrage of questions. i have to say it is funny when someone tries to out do my story with one of their own (plus it gets the focus off of me).

So whats the solution? this is what you do. just say the first rule about fight club is... then pause look side to side suddenly flip your desk and sprint for the exit. if you cant flip the desk you can abruptly sweep all the stuff off of the top of it and jump on top of it and then sprint for the exit. i think both have the same kind of impact. (of course after they fire you there will be more time for training.)

{snort} lol at BSR...funny

I used to work three separate jobs when I went to sparring regularly. Not many people showed for class often so I sparred the instructors alot and got banged up on the regular. a decent amount of chaffe (sp?) and cuts and bruises as head gear was optional then. But I never got questioned for it, or at least not in fear of the affect it would have on my employment.

Probably since all three jobs I worked for my Sifu.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceSteveRoy
    So whats the solution? this is what you do. just say the first rule about fight club is... then pause look side to side suddenly flip your desk and sprint for the exit. if you cant flip the desk you can abruptly sweep all the stuff off of the top of it and jump on top of it and then sprint for the exit. i think both have the same kind of impact. (of course after they fire you there will be more time for training.)
    LOL-Got it

Quote Originally Posted by BruceSteveRoy
    Just wait until they call you into the office to discuss these "issues" and then beat the crap out of yourself. Subsidize your training with corporate sponsorship (like they did in the movie).
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hard Fists
    Has anyone else been embarrassed as a result of a fight or sparring session while at their desk job?
    Who you kidding? You love it

You've become "that" guy . There a guy in every office like that...always injured from sports or martial arts.

the last tavern I worked at, we had so many people come in for work all lumped up that we actually had to make a rule, "don't come to work with a black eye."
    Mainly applied to the servers, but another manager is a little dumb ass, always drank too much combined with a stupid mouth and insufficient skills, he came in with 'doubles' (2 shiners) more than once lol. He could be a nice guy, but you know, we probably all know or have met someone like this at one point or another.
    Master...Teach me kung fu.

When my oldest son was 2 years old he accidentally hit me below the eye with a 3” action figure giving me a black eye. I worked as a Correctional Officer at the time so everyone at work just “assumed” I was tagged by an inmate. I didn’t mind correcting them, but one Lieutenant asked me if I gave the guy a good wooping! I replied, ‘NO! I let him off easy!” He was stunned for a moment before I told him it was my 2 year old, LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina
    Who you kidding? You love it
    Yeah, I guess I do. The sweat from training took a lot of the swelling away so doesn't look to bad today anyway. Have a good weekend.