Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu in Denver

Quote Originally Posted by PlumDragon
    The So Rim school USED to have a branch school in Englewood near University and Orchard. This is actually where I trained. It was called Tao of the Scholar Warrior and was a phenomenol school. Unfortunately this school no longer exists. They had problems paying rent so teamed up with a choreography place called Warrior Quest (a ninjitsu school that is not part of the bujinkan). The rest is history...It is however possible they have opened another school in the area since Ive moved. If you want to look further, search in Boulder for a school called New Tradition Martial Arts, I think it is called...it used to be called Jungs School of Old Martial Arts run by Chul Woo Jung. Contact me offline and I can provide you with a packet of lineage and history, etc.
    http://www.sorimkungfu.com/

They have Lin Pan Zhang lineage.

Internal schools

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    Other than White Dragon, there's also a fantastic Wah Lum school, some first rate Silate. There's Tai Chi in Westminster, San Soo in Arvada, and Wing Chun in Edgewater.
    Do those White Dragon schools or that San Soo school have a web page at all?

Anyone know of some good internal schools, particularly on the west side of town?

I've found these two:

Sin Lung Kwoon
    http://www.enetworkmarketing.com/tan...angshoutao.swf
    (This one seems like it's just what I'm looking for - curious to know if anyone has any experience with it.)

Taoist Tai Chi Society
    http://colorado.usa.taoist.org/index.html

I've been studing TKD in Golden for the last two years and am desperate for something different.
    Last edited by QuackenBush; 11-27-2006 at 12:38 PM.

Do I open my mouth now... or should I wait?
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Quote Originally Posted by norther practitioner View Post
    Well you've certainly got my curiousity up. I've done a lot of searching on this board before posting, but yet I still have no idea what you're alluding to.

Na. Say it; you definantly know more about internal schools in the area than anyone else on this board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by PlumDragon View Post
    ..... All the Shaolin Do stuff...
    Kent, simply do a search on the board about shaolin do on this board and make a decision to go check them out for yourself, there are a few schools around the Denver area.

Welcome to Denver! Some info: There are two White Dragon (Pai Lum) schools in the immediate area, both under Long shr Galiano. One is in Arvada, the other in Thornton. Cost is $20 per week. And yes, both are indeed affiliated with the Ft. Collins school as well as the one in Longmont.
    The times I was in the area and watched a little of the classes @ Becca's school, it looked pretty good, but a bit different from what you've learned so far style wise I'd assume.

Well you've certainly got my curiousity up. I've done a lot of searching on this board before posting, but yet I still have no idea what you're alluding to.
    Not alluding to much as far as scandle type stuff. Just some observations, haven't really posted much in the last year or two, as I discontinued my training about a year and a half ago now.

I studied Northern Long Fist (a little of a conglomeration of a few different Northern Forms) for a few years with Christophe (his school is off of Mississippi between Fed. and Bway).
    He's one hell of a forms teacher, and has produced some very good fighters (I didn't do much on that end with him). Christophe's main thing is Yang taiji, but is certainly a very compitent teacher in regards to the NLF. MK has seen me do my forms that I learned from Christophe and is fairly respected around these parts (for what I don't know ) for his opinion.
    I learned a bunch of long fist forms, tan tui, a few northern staff forms, a few northern broadsword forms, etc... we did a decent amount of two person drills as well.

Starchaser107's (who also hasn't been around these parts in a while) wife studied a little hung gar about 3 or 4 years ago from the school on or near Federal and I seem to remember him thinking it was pretty good. Shoot him a PM and see if he responds.
    There is the Wah Lum school, but you said you've already visited that school so I won't go into that.

Internal wise, The Taoist people as described by one of my older kung fu and taiji sisters after seeing some of their taiji, "They do old people taiji."

I've heard a few things about the Tang Shou Tao people, but don't know too much about what their doing so I'll refrain from comment. I'd recommend going to their school and checking them out. Go check out Christophe's school too, there are a few different things going on their taiji wise now from what I understand. There is a good bagua guy I saw, no idea if he's still teaching or not. I'm going down to Denver sometime this week and will find out who is still teaching and where when I'm down there and will comment more.

I doubt you'll want to drive up to Boulder, I'll skip that stuff too.

I agree with ~ 90% of Plumdragon's evaluations of the schools he talks about but mostly from comments from others (which have been respectable sources).
    Last edited by norther practitioner; 11-27-2006 at 08:24 PM.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Hey NP! What's up man? What are you up to these days?
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox View Post
    Hey NP! What's up man? What are you up to these days?
    Moving to Aspen in a few weeks.
    practice wu de

lucky man!
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

I used to live in Aspen. What a great place. You going to be a ski bum or do you have real work there?

When I was there in 1993 (13 years ago! ) I worked at the Breeze ski rentals right at the base of the Gondola. Man I had some good times there.

Ajax Mtn. is a great mountain but for me Highlands and Snowmass were my favorites.

I recommend the ski bum life to any and everyone for at least a year.

Typical Aspen day:
    1. Wake up hung over.
    2. Ride your bike or take the bus to work.
    3. Hang out with your friends all day (aka work)
    4. On your breaks go skiing or snowboarding.
    5. After work go grab a 12 pack and hang out with your buds.
    6. Go to Su Casa for Margaritas
    7. Let the night happen. Sometimes we would go to a club called the Tippler right at the base of Ajax. It's not there anymore but there were so many fights in that place we used to call it the Crippler. I actually saw a guy get smashed in the head with one of those thick glass beer mugs. Crazy fun.

Have fun man.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

I know the mountains fairly well, I figure it'll take me a few years to get to know them like I know the Vail resorts. I actually have real work there. I'll be the new P. County Engineer. Office will be in and around ABC, across from the airport. I got a place to live in Snowmass for the time being.
    practice wu de

That sounds like a fantastic position! Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by htowndragon View Post
    about the hung gar school

they used to get whipped with a stick on their legs if their stance wasnt right.

but a lot of people quit due to the training so the teeacher became a lot more laid back
    haha, yeah - that sounds like Sifu Ha :-) I don't know that I would call him laid back these days, but moreso yeah :-)

about the white dragonschool in arvada what do the teach exactly?

also dont bother with sd lol unless you wanna learn to fight like this

http://www.vidoemo.com/yvideo.php?i=...-denver-part-1

http://www.vidoemo.com/yvideo.php?i=...-denver-part-2

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Wow, this is an old thread...

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    about the white dragonschool in arvada what do the teach exactly?
    Well, they teach White Dragon Kung Fu. Alot of the beginner material is kempo-ish but they train hard and build a good foundation--good group of guys. Once you get to the soft-fist form about 6 months in to training, it becomes more Kung fu-ey. I spent a lot of time conditioning when I was there (limb knocking, wooden dummy, iron hand).

In the last year or 2, theres a new place in Evergreen teaching several different arts...
    Last edited by PlumDragon; 12-21-2009 at 07:47 AM.