Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another New Home for AMA

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

Another New Home for AMA

Started to just say this on the 'can't get a break' thread but want to start off on the positive.

After a couple of weeks looking I've found a new place for the school.

Going to make a big, big jump and make a step towards doing this full time by jumping into a much bigger space.

I just put a deposit down on a 2000 square foot space in a small shopping strip. We've been operating in 840 sf for 21 months now and while we've managed it we really fill the room with 10 people.

We'll have 1600 of training floor space and 400 sf for offices, bathroom and changing rooms. I'll finally have an office to meet with new students instead of a corner. The layout is long....20' x 80'. That actually allows for partitioning and running 2 classes at the same time....down the road of course.

In the meantime...we'll all be able to do the same form at the same time for the first time in a while.

There are 3 other businesses in the building:

Play It Again Sports - specializing in buying and selling used sports equipment
    Yoshida's - a sushi place
    Asian Affairs - an asian market.

Traffic count on the road is 25,000 cars/day. The other 3 businesses have all been there for 5+ years...I think the asian market has been there for over a decade.

Gonna make the move July 1 and then start busting ass on marketing for September.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Good luck!
    A unique snowflake

Congratulations!

Great news Oso! Sounds like a good fit with the other business`s already there. Look forward to another Grand Opening. BTW, what road?
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

sounds like a prime location.

you should do well for yourself. enjoy the new space.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Congrats. Enjoy the new space and the increased enrollment that will surely come with it.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Oso,
    You probably know more about running these types of things than me, but here are my observations about successfully run ma businesses:
    1) They have payment methods done by a 3rd party. There are automatic payments withdrawn from the person's bank account or credit card. This way you rarely have to collect or deal with payment, and it flows in every month.
    2) Kids programs make money.
    3) Accessability to the facility is important. That is, having many different available times for training.
    4) Having a real business plan is great, and will help keep your vision.
    5) Don't be afraid to use a sales process when people walk in the door. That doesn't mean make people feel like they're at a used cars lot, but there's nothing wrong with logically leading people down a path, either. If you believe in what you do and it's good for people, why not?
    6) Offer a wide variety of goals for people, from just feeling healthier to competing.

my .02
    MTV-Get Off The Air-Now

Thanks everyone...I'll take all the luck I can get at this point.

yu shan: it's on the same road as the old rec center where I taught.

Oso,
    You probably know more about running these types of things than me, but here are my observations about successfully run ma businesses:
    1) They have payment methods done by a 3rd party. There are automatic payments withdrawn from the person's bank account or credit card. This way you rarely have to collect or deal with payment, and it flows in every month.

I'm 1/3 going there. The new plan is this:

Monthly tuition - no contract: $85/month
    Quarterly tuition - paid in advance: $225 ($75/month)
    Annual Tuition w/ contract: $65/month.

Our goal is to get students to move to the quarterly tuition and no contract.
    But, if someone wants to save a little more and agree to an annual contract then we are ready to do that.

FYI, I'm now 1 mile down the road from a TKD school that charges $125/month.
    Maybe I could charge more, but I don't want to.

2) Kids programs make money.

I have a fledgling one and will probably look at a transported after school program in the future.

3) Accessability to the facility is important. That is, having many different available times for training.

Limited at this point because I have a 9-5 as well. But, after this summer, I'm going to negotiate with my primary to try and have a lunch time class.

4) Having a real business plan is great, and will help keep your vision.

working on that.

5) Don't be afraid to use a sales process when people walk in the door. That doesn't mean make people feel like they're at a used cars lot, but there's nothing wrong with logically leading people down a path, either. If you believe in what you do and it's good for people, why not?

That may be my biggest sticking point. I consider myself the only true 'traditional' school in Asheville. I hope to make that my niche.

6) Offer a wide variety of goals for people, from just feeling healthier to competing.

already there. plan to expand that with a separate San Shou style class as well as other goal oriented classes.

my .02

Thanks.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Smile Hi Oso,

I like your price structure. I have a quarterly payment thing too. It's easier IMHO for accounting purposes which is basically keeping all records and receipts in a shoebox until tax time. But that only work for a business that is expecting less than $30,000.00 income in Canada. Otherwise it's better to do it properly (GST no., the whole nine yards).

I think selling product (ie uniform, Video, Mag, Energy drinks, etc...) as a way to help increase revenue is also something to think about. I know it's a tough call but business is business. Of course, hosting seminars and special events are good too.

Good luck with the move

Warm regards

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Robert,

Thanks. It was actually something lkfmdc said that helped me zero in on the tiered price structure.

I sell water and clif bars and gatorade as well as uniforms and weapons as needed.

I intend on picking up KFTC to sell in the school as soon as I think I can unload 12 issues a month.

and, one of my newest students wants one of the big century bagstands that I have so I'll be able to do ok reselling that.

now I actually have a space big enough to host in my own school instead of borrowing space....when you want to come down?

Congratulations Sifu!

Great news and I hope this brings many more good students your way!

Lemme know when you need the mantis mural and I'm there.

Thanks, C.

Dunno what we'll do exactly on the inside. It's basically white now and I think I want to stay brighter than where we went last especially since the only windows are at the very front.

The last graphic you did for me in full color is going to go on the windows on either side of the door....I was able to stop the completion of the order for the new sign for the current building but he had printed the decals already but it's going to work out great.

basically moved in.

had two classes this week.

the room is still basically long an narrow but we're definitely feeling the increase in space. it doesn't look it in the pictures but it's 60+ feet from the blue folding mats to the door and 19.5' wide.

I've also talked to people about classes every single day since we've been there...whereas I'd go weeks between talking to prospective students.

signed a new kid this week and maybe his mom as well and have an appointment for another new person Monday.

the floor is super sticky though. worried about knees. might even go so far as to put some baby powder on the floor...

anyone else ever dealt with too sticky a floor?

Reminds me a little of the place I had. But I had his and hers bathrooms a little less than halfway down. I carpeted the front and put my desk, display cabinets and a couch and coffe table there for guests.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you. Nothing beats owning your own business.

Hope this helps!

For concrete floors? yes! Home Depot sells a finish that is ment for garages that works very well. It goes on like paint with a roller and long handle; drys in about 8-12 hours. It costs about $20 per can. You might need 2 cans to your your floor. Can't remember the name of it off the top of my head, though, sorry. But the Home Depot guys should be able to help you find it. You could put it on after your last class on Saturday and it will be redy to use for your next Monday class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

HLL: Thanks. We've still got a lot to do to make the front more appealing. Another rug and a better retail display for sure. I'd wanted to leave the back area open a bit for using the dumbells and such w/o disturbing the main floor but may not stay with that.

There is a 400 sf area behind the door at the back where the bathroom and my office is as well as shelves for student gear backs and stuff. Want to develop the office area nicely and have a small sitting/tea area back there too.

Becca: it's a vinyl tile floor so I can't really refinish it.

I just had my good friend, teacher and mentor from the jujitsu school come in today and tell me he thinks he has a bunch more used mats to give me and I may be able to mat the whole thing soon!