Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Qi-Gong Psychotic Reaction: DSM-IV

Hybrid View

Qi-Gong Psychotic Reaction: DSM-IV

Does any of you know what is this "Qi-Gong Psychotic Reaction: DSM-IV " and what are de symptoms?

thank you,
    Jorge

The DSM IV is a standard psychiatric reference textbook for doctors. Psychotic reactions vary according to the patient.

The following link will tell you about the book:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSM_IV

Also:

http://www.appi.org/dsm.cfx

And this one about psychoses:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychosis
    Last edited by scholar; 06-18-2006 at 07:35 AM.

politization

The extent of psychoses is exaggerated in the present system because of abuse and psychological aggrandizement on the part of government. The mainland party, like the Soviets before them, uses psychiatric diagnoses as a way to discredit foes (in this case falungong). Mental health facilities are non-existant and as result, for the few cases that do exist, go untreated and unresolved, laying the blame on qigong!

Qigong fraud is also rampant with people claiming to cure mental diseases with their brand of yangshenggong.

you need to keep the DSM in perspective.

It serves several basic functions.

One is to give a similar diagnosis foundation for mental health professionals across different countries, cultures, etc...

However, if you are talking about its uses in the US....

The BIGGEST use and important aspect of the the DSM is its use in diagnosis for patients being seen in a professional setting where INSURANCE or 3rd party copay is involved.

Basically, the therapist/doctor will always choose a DSM disorder that (A) fits the patient's complaints the closest and (B) is one that the patients 3rd party payer as in Insurance, Medicare, Medicaid, or whatever - will cover and pay for.

You will NEVER see a patient in a psychiatric facility with a disorder from the DSM that is NOT one that the insurance company pays for.

Putting it into perspective :

Adolescent Adjustment Reaction - a VERY common diagnosis for just about any adolescent in any treatment facility.

Defined as :

"An adjustment disorder is defined as an emotional or behavioral reaction to an identifiable stressful event or change in a person's life that is considered maladaptive or somehow not an expected healthy response to the event or change. The reaction must occur within three months of the identified stressful event or change happening. The identifiable stressful event or change in the life of a child or adolescent may be a family move, parental divorce or separation, the loss of a pet, birth of a brother or sister, to name a few."

Now, if the adolescent in question has insurance or a family with money and insurance, they are diagnosed as having Adolescent Adjustment Reaction and spend time in a treatment facility.

If they don't have the insurance, have a family that is loathe to use psychiatrists, or don't have money, AAR all of a sudden becomes delinquent or some such behavior and the kid ends up in front of a judge and then in juvenile detention.

Amazing how money works

So, is there some politics in a Qi Gong Psychosis - yes. It CAN be families trying to get a person out of a cult...but it can also be families trying to get the strange one that got stranger some help.

Every instance is different. But....at the same time, keep in mind that if you have gotten drunk TWO times in the past year, according to the DSM, you may have an alcohol abuse problem. (the two times do NOT exclude New YEar's and Labor Day)

well ... i can see by your reply that you dont take DSM-IV very serious but ... did any of you read the "Qi-Gong Psychotic Reaction" chapter? Even if they exagerate i would like to know what are the symptoms ... i dont want to buy the book just to read that chapter ... so if anyone knows what are the symptoms in the book i will appreciate very much if you share the information.

thank you all for the reply,
    enjoy,
    Jorge

Hi alquimista,

I'm still looking for a better link, but try this one for now:

http://www.spiritualcompetency.com/dsm4/lesson3_5.html

Quote Originally Posted by GLW View Post
    Basically, the therapist/doctor will always choose a DSM disorder that (A) fits the patient's complaints the closest and (B) is one that the patients 3rd party payer as in Insurance, Medicare, Medicaid, or whatever - will cover and pay for.

You will NEVER see a patient in a psychiatric facility with a disorder from the DSM that is NOT one that the insurance company pays for.
    Uhhh ... you forgot the doctor function. (A) makes the doctor the most money and (B) gets the doctor the most $$$ from Insurance, Medicare, Medicaid, etc.

Nope. Didn't forget it . It is just a GIVEN.

Back in the day when I worked in Psych hospitals and then as a counselor, I actually ran into only two honorable psychiatrists.

One would only admit a patient to the hospital when they were truly dangerous to themselves or other people. Her patients came in and were always in the locked ward for being dangerous or were on suicide watch. She used drugs in those cases liberally...so she could get them stable enough to go home and then did all of her real therapy in one on one sessions and group therapy...and she did her own groups.

We saw about 2 or 3 patients for her in a year and none were ever hospitalized for more than 2 weeks...and the amount of drugs she used decreased to a level that kept them safe but also left them lucid.

The other worked mainly with adolescents. He used the hospital to mainly keep the kid from becoming a run away statistic and living on the street. He rarely had a patient who was in locked ward - unless it was a kid who got into a fight and the hospital rules required the transfer.

Two out of 30+ - not a good percentage.

i know that mawali ... i just wanted to know how western psychology classifies a Qigong Deviation ... just as simple as that ... i dont want to use it ... i dont care if its foolish or not ... i dont care if it´s useless ... but now i know what it means if someone come to me with a "Qigong Psychotic Reaction" from is psychiatrist ...

Enjoy,
    Jorge

In America or at least California it is for the most part illegal to lock someone up in a hospital against their will. They must be documented to be a clear danger to themselves or others. It is not illegal to be nuts!!

It is typical that the proof required for a mental health warrant for committment is "dangerous to themselves or others"

However, that is pretty broad and open to interpretation. I have seen the dangerous part applied - in rality the danger was to the bank book or stocks...or that the family member was going to be cut off due to the 'crazy' one...and I have also seen those that were truly dangerous or suicidal NOT be committed because of having a lawyer or just flat out no one would start the process.

It is a horribly flawed system.

But, the benefit of the doubt lies with the psychiatrist and such when the hearing comes off. The judge issues a committment warrant, the person is put in the hospital for observation, there is then a committment hearing and the person is either released or committed for a period of time (usually 90 days in Texas..and then a re-examination takes place at those intervals).

But once in the hospital - such things as anger, despondency over being in there, bewilderment over bieng there, feelings of betrayal for their family member that had them committed - are all taken as proof of needing to be there. While this may be true, In 5 years in the field...before I left it, I only saw TWO Patients come in on warrants and leave directly from their hearing. One was due to insurance and no bed space at the county ward - strange how he was deemed not so dangerous when they had no space in county and no way to pay for him otherwise. The other had a good lawyer and his wife had done this thing repeatedly. He was most pleasant and simply refused to talk with the staff about much of anything...on his lawyer's advice.

I saw several asian patients come in for depression...and NONE of them had therapists that knew jack about their culture or how important their family would be in treatment.

a link to Qigong deviation

One point of view

pincha aqui:
    http://www.hkjpsych.com/Culture_bound.pdf#search='qigong%25pdf'

Quote Originally Posted by mawali
    One point of view

pincha aqui:
    http://www.hkjpsych.com/Culture_bound.pdf#search='qigong%25pdf'
    thank you mawali ... its a good link

Enjoy,
    Jorge

This explains so much...

...well, not really. I just wanted to post this somewhere.
    Global Update
    Mental Illness: Far More Chinese Have Mental Disorders Than Previously Reported, Study Finds
    The New York Times
    By DONALD G. McNEIL Jr.
    Published: June 15, 2009

The burden of mental illness in China has been seriously underestimated, the authors of a new study say. More than 17 percent of Chinese adults have a mental disorder, the study concluded — far more than the 1 to 9 percent reported in studies done between 1982 and 2004.

To do the study, published in the journal Lancet last week, researchers at Columbia University and major psychiatric hospitals in Beijing, Shandong, Zhejiang, Qinghai and Gansu screened 63,000 adults with questionnaires, and psychiatrists interviewed more than 16,000 of them, often in local dialects. The research was financed by the World Health Organization, the Shandong provincial health department and the China Medical Board of New York, an independent medical foundation begun in 1914 by the Rockefeller Foundation, which supports medical education and research across Asia.

The most disturbing aspect of their research, the authors said, was that, among those who had a diagnosable mental illness, 24 percent said they were moderately or severely disabled by it. But only 8 percent had ever sought professional help, and only 5 percent had ever seen a mental health professional.

People from rural areas were more likely to be depressed and have alcohol problems than urbanites, the study found. Mood and anxiety disorders were more common in people over 40 and among women, while alcohol abuse was much more common among men.

Although the authors did not reflect at length on the role of China’s economic rise, which has led to mass migrations of poor people to the cities, they acknowledged that they were measuring some effects.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene,

I do agree that the mainland has undercounted the millions who have psychological problems and it is made worse by the refusal to diagnose or even consider it a problem. Modernity will even create worse problem because China does not recognize psychiatry as a 'real' field in that the population looks to demons, spirits and such as the cause and no real solution will be found.

The present solution is to blame qigong for such ills and this is made worse by political ideology compounded by socioeconomic distress.