Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heart rate?

Heart rate?

What is your target heart rate during your training?

What type of training?

Are you improving cardio or trying to burn fat?

I like to keep mine above 1 and lower than about 190.

I've been told by my fitness trainer that my ideal heartrate for warming up muscles and fat burning (ie not serious cardio which would be burning lean mass too) should be about 70% of my max heartrate by my age. I'm in my 30s so apparently this is between 127 and 137 or so.

Please note I haven't studied this at all, so I'm just going by memory of what I've been told... which is kind of like: this geezer down the pub said the husband of his cousin's ex-boss's former beauty-therapist's dog's groomer said to ...

What can I say, I'm bored at work and can't concentrate cos I'm sick.

It's important to check you're heart rate during any type of training.

That was it!???

What are you asking? Everyones target is different and some people are aneorobically working and some are aerobically working. Some people are older some people are younger. Some people have low resting heart rates and others do not? Be more specific if possible?

Basically I would like to know how often Marshall Artists check there heart rate.

I only check it when I'm on the runnung machine/elliptical trainer.

I try to keep it to between 130 and 140.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Heart

My scenario is clearly unique among humans.

My resting heart rate is 48. My doctor is from Taiwan and declares that Ba Ji is the culprit for my olympic heart rate. I train up to 180 for hard core anarobic training and around 170 for aerobic. I am 36 years old and must confess to training in Japanese meditation aimed at lowering the heart rate for lack of detection in infiltration techniques.

As for what to do for Martial arts? look at the word for definition.
    Martial means invariably combat which taxes the heart body and soul. Train the max as much as you can, and pray for the winds of fortune.

The best is the Ba Ji training that takes my 48 to 180 in a short time and holds it... then drops off to 160 and then returns to the combat height.

I design Martial drills around this. One punches to Chinese Wrestling to western boxing all the way to stretching.

My fighters find it hard to out muscle me and hard to out will me even though i am an old man that should be easy to beat.

The lord god whoever or wherever has been far too kind to a worthless combatant.
    Last edited by Sifu Darkfist; 07-11-2006 at 10:44 PM.

I am 35 and a woman. My resting is low. I train between 130-165 for aerobic work. I keep it in the higher end. I don't bother with it for sculpting/aneorobic work. The lower you are in the range the more calories from fat are burning...IMHO a calorie is a calorie and it all balances out. If you are working that hard to pay attention then things usually fall into place.

Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Darkfist
    My scenario is clearly unique among humans.

My resting heart rate is 48.
    Uh, my resting heart rate last time I seriously checked was 37. That's using a Polar HR monitor, putting it on first thing in the morning before getting out of bed. Sitting around on the couch after HIIT training these days it'll often drop to the mid-40s without me consciously trying to lower it. IIRC there were other people on this forum with HRs similar to mine.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Toby

Then my theory on the conditioning of Hearts connection to gung fu is pretty much on. Oh and that makes US unique among Humans, research it you will find it to be true. My regular doctor is a cardiologist and describes these numbers as comparable to olympic trained hearts.

I got him to suggest the explosive moves returning to regular activity trains the heart beyond normal aerobic activity

Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Darkfist
    I got him to suggest the explosive moves returning to regular activity trains the heart beyond normal aerobic activity
    I agree with this statement. Read this. That's what I attribute my low heart rate to. That and genetics. MA training helps, but HIIT is my primary cardio training.

Oh, and 2 people with low HRs who do MA isn't of statistical significance .
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

formula and plan

The latest Cardiac studies show it is not healthy to maintain a heart rate > 85% of your max for more than 5 minutes at a time. The premise is that the fight or flight is dependent upon a quick start and short duration.
    Something else to look at is recovery EX: your max HR is 160 bpm , at 80% say 135 bpm if you maintain this for 10 minutes then slow your TM speed to say 3.0 then measure your heart rate every minute to see how many BPM it decreases for up to 5 minutes say 160 bpm then 60 seconds later 150 then 135 etc this is a good way to measure heart health the greater the decrease in the 1st 2 minutes the better the recovery. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !