Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ive been doing some chain punching in sparring

Ive been doing some chain punching in sparring

since I train some jeet kune do Ive sparred with jeet kune do gloves for the first time, and me and my instructor mixed boxing up with chain punches/straight blast. And I actually found use for it and it looked like nothing shown in those wing chun sparring clips where they try to punch thropugh each others arms at the same time. the trick is to block/cover up your opponents blasts first than retaliate or move sideways at an angle and attack, not try to outpunch them at the same time like in thsoe clips with no movement/footwork. I still havent seen a single clip on the internet of good chain pucnhing in a sparring match.

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronim
    since I train some jeet kune do Ive sparred with jeet kune do gloves for the first time, and me and my instructor mixed boxing up with chain punches/straight blast. And I actually found use for it and it looked like nothing shown in those wing chun sparring clips where they try to punch thropugh each others arms at the same time. the trick is to block/cover up your opponents blasts first than retaliate or move sideways at an angle and attack, not try to outpunch them at the same time like in thsoe clips with no movement/footwork. I still havent seen a single clip on the internet of good chain pucnhing in a sparring match.
    Chain punching...
    The most of that ( I have seen) is done like a cat trying to catch a fly in the air.
    Mostly done like continuously launching punches. The head leaning backwords and all attacks are far out of range. Most chainpunchers are simply running behind their own punches and try to hide behind them.

The idea is to get the first punch to the target!!! THAN you can continue with another attack and another and another etc... Right distance, close to your oppnent. The idea of stepping out sidewards isn't Ving Tsun. Block and hit simultanously or hit instantly without waiting for your oppnonent to come out to you.

Question. I have seen JKD gloves and noticed they are very large. How can you make a good chainpunch anyway?
    A clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease (Sun Tzu, Art of war)

www.wslvt.com
    www.vingtsunkungfu.nl / www.vt4um.eu

I still havent seen a single clip on the internet of good chain pucnhing in a sparring match.
    There's a good reason for that.
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

IMO chain punching has it's place. It is a way for us to actually move and punch continuously simultaneously, but to me this is only for a short period of time, as you will accomplish nothing really effective chasing someone around the room and chain punching them. The idea as far as I understand is to hit/stun them with a few punches as a set up (while in extreme close range not boxing range) for a take down or whatever else comes of it.

When I was sparring more regularly, I used it often, but when the footwork wasn't there to compliment the punching, nothing effective was ever accomplished. All of the aspects of Wing Chun way must be incorporated together, not just one, to be effective IMO.

James

I also kicked him as he backed up after my chain punches. Roundhouse kick to the gut.

Quote Originally Posted by sihing
    IMO chain punching has it's place. ............................

When I was sparring more regularly, I used it often, but when the footwork wasn't there to compliment the punching, nothing effective was ever accomplished. All of the aspects of Wing Chun way must be incorporated together, not just one, to be effective IMO.
    James,
    The chain punch can be useful I guess, but as you so correctly indicated it tends to be used ineffectively.
    I think it's because people just want to hit, and often do so well before they have earned the right to do so. Using chain punches as an entry technique is one of the biggest mistakes one can make IMO.

the trick is to block/cover up your opponents blasts first than retaliate or move sideways at an angle and attack, not try to outpunch them at the same time like in thsoe clips with no movement/footwork.
    I'd be interested in a little more detail on the block/cover aspect of your comments. I'm thinking of something more like a western boxing exchange.

the trick is to block/cover up your opponents blasts first than retaliate or move sideways at an angle and attack, not try to outpunch them at the same time like in thsoe clips with no movement/footwork. I still havent seen a single clip on the internet of good chain pucnhing in a sparring match.
    As far as WC principles go...he's trying to chain punch down my centre? I'm going to put something on my centre and then step to the side and in. Two objects of matter can't occupy the same space at the same time.

Best,
    Kenton
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

I've seen the chain punch misused so many times that I almost don't care to discuss it. I can't stand it when I see someone running at someone chain punching like pneumatic pump.

The first punch accomplishes setting the spring and stunning the opponent. The arm helps accomplish this so the punch is not just a punch but a structural attack that sets the stage for the other hand to punch, which may or may not accomplish the same thing. This frees the first hand which springs into whatever tool is needed for the moment i.e., a finger in the eye or fingers to the throat or index finger above the sternum, etc. Whatever flavor you feel like tasting.

But to repeatedly chain punch at someone is not a good idea.

Come keep, go throw.

"Chain Punching" is not a WCK technique, per se...

There is chaining and there is punching. Chain punching is simply a way to "chain" punches together--to make them flow like water. The CP drill is also a kind of sub-form and an exercise that incorporates many of the core movements/concepts in the system.

"Chaining" is a method for placing a sequence of very closely spaced strikes and clearing actions together--strike goes out, clear goes back, on the centerline. The purpose: To learn the *basics* of controlling and attacking the centerline.

It is used for simultaneous offensive and defensive purposes, and often as a finishing move, most often seen with punches but used with palms, spear hands and chops as well.

The general action of occupying the line with both hands, attacking on the line with one hand and withdrawing on the line with the other while keeping both hands close to the opponent is consistent with much of how Wing Chun operates with many of the hand actions.

The CP drill helps beginning students learn how to occupy the line--clear the line and attack on the line all at the same time--it helps students learn how to punch, how to let the joints loosen up and how to generate WCK arm power and energy.

Within these movements you can see centerline occupation, attacking the line, bi-directional energy, hand replacement, clearing and hitting, etc.. But this does not mean that you can be an overnight terror using CPs.. You have to have the "meat", skills and attributes to make any WCK trap, control, strike, or series of strikes “work”.

It is sad that Chain punching is what the whole world thinks WCK is.. This is because "chain punching is what "white belts" do--it's ALL they do...

Nothing wrong with punching, nothing wrong with Chaining but as I said.. "Chain Punching" is not a singular technique--to be used as a "running egg-beater attack" or technique to be taken as is, unless you have nothing better..

Most folks also clearly have no idea how to sync their body mechanics and their "chaining" together.. The hands spin around at a million miles an hour with no body connection and/or they use the "running egg-beater attack" with full body momentum as they “run” in; This is not how one applies body connection and body unity with “chaining”..

In short there is no such thing as "chain punching" in and of itself as a stand alone "cure all" WCK technique o doom
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Quote Originally Posted by Meklorien
    ...This frees the first hand which springs into whatever tool is needed for the moment i.e., a finger in the eye or fingers to the throat or index finger above the sternum, etc. Whatever flavor you feel like tasting.
    I would not try to complicate the fight, (wich is in this case in my favour) with eye thrusting fingeratacks or 'difficult' attacks as described in your post... Why not simply hit him again, and again. Multiple punches are not neccesarily chain-punches...
    Keep it simple...
    Last edited by Dave P; 06-18-2006 at 01:34 AM.
    A clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease (Sun Tzu, Art of war)

www.wslvt.com

Like what I think a few others here have described, I was taught that the main point of practicing chain punching – apart from just developing a beginner's speed, arm/shoulder strength and coordination – is to instill the idea of ongoing continuous attack. Many beginners, including me, stop short and lose any advantage we might have just opened up. We're supposed to learn to keep going with an ongoing flowing attack which can include high and low straight punches, hooks, uppercuts, kicks, knees or whatever. It doesn't have to just be a bunch of fast little jabs delivered in a circular motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapten Klutz
    ... high and low straight punches, hooks, uppercuts, kicks, knees or whatever.
    And what kind of martial art are you practicing?

www.wslvt.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dave P
    I would not try to complicate the fight, (wich is in this case in my favour) with eye thrusting fingeratacks or 'difficult' attacks as described in your post... Why not simply hit him again, and again. Multiple punches are not neccesarily chain-punches...
    Keep it simple...

Poking someone in the eye is not complicated, nor is pinching the throat. Simply hitting someone repeatedly is one-dimensional and in my experience highly limited. I've been repeatedly hit and all it accomplished was to upset me. A palm to the kidney dropped me, as did a poke to the eye.

I've been straight kicked in the face and it only made me upset. A well-placed slap to the left kidney about made me pass out from the pain.

It's all in how you view your thing though. There are times when rapid hitting has its place. Not for me though. I've found that structure, economical timing and accupressure are much more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave P
    And what kind of martial art are you practicing?
    Wing Chun. Why?