Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ive been doing some chain punching in sparring

I agree with most of what's been said so far. If I may offer my insight into chain (chase) punching...

1. During sparring we're taught to only CP when we're in close range. This seems obvious but some people get into a bad habit of trying to force a CP when they're out of range and just blasting air without following up with a more long range strike (ie. arrow punch or front kick).

2. When you are in good range to use CPs, mix it up with both leveled and low chain punches (sinking w/ your horse). This can further disrupt your opponnent not knowing where to cover high or low when your blasting with your punches and then follow up with a different strike as I described in 1.

3. For us, CP is never the initial attack or I should say counter-attack. It's usually the next technique in a series of combinations of other techniques.

Keep in mind it's all tactics when using CPs as with any techniques. Also maintain the balance of keeping it simple but also giving your opponents different looks.

Quote Originally Posted by BowFist
    1. During sparring we're taught to only CP when we're in close range.
    Bowfist,
    What do you define as "close range"?
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

Cool

OK --Ok i will set the record straight once & for all!
    Im new herre so untill now its not known the right way to so called chain punch!
    Lets start at the begining!For sh--ts & giggles lets for the sake to learn it right
    imagine --for this moment only --YOU know not any martila arts!I am teaching you here & now!
    If you stand in front of me with 2 phone books & I full twist punch--you step back a bit with 1 foot!
    If I start the chain punch you step back 1 per hit I do!This is do to
    the fact the energy grounds!It gows down the body & becomes NULLFIED
    Now if I vibrate-shock -wave-split-ect---you drop lke apile of bricks!
    If you have seen the old films of Yushaiba doing Akido--he wees a hakima for a resogn!Most try to do what he dose & no luck!Lift the hakima & see the placement of feet in conjuction with the internal energy is now deployed!
    If you walk up to a wall slow & touch your nose to it!It will not hurt!
    Run fast & make noise to wall contack--it will break-& more arise as well!
    Now the same wall just as you make contact there is a 4.5 quake--
    your nose just shatterd! Now just on impact the wall from a diferant quake
    splits & now pieces fall & knock you out!Same wall it did nothing!

Now for the so called chain punch!The w ay 99% are doing it is a basic way to so the level of intent--yes shock-wave ect will make a differance!But here is a ( BIG ONE) Insted of pulling on the chain(dont yank my chain from phrase)Revers the direction & split the energy with hip torque & advancing foot
    steps--see that it provides a totaly new affect & the attack is down or flys so far back he wont want to try again!!!REVERCE IS THE TRUE ANSWER!Go in peace my students & feel the FORCE OF THE CHAIN!
    Dojosai
    Milojai

The method of straight blasting I've seen is by Paul Vunak. He understands the straight blast's place in combat. It's a disorienting technique to be used quickly to gain a strong entry for trapping techniques.

I also agree with others that you can't really blast correctly with gloves. Or without going full contact. Otherwise, how can you get the desired reaction. The blast is good for disorientation and unbalancing, but simultaneously, the person needs to be feeling pain in the face to get the proper reaction.