Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oldboy

I like the parts when he was in the room, smiling...that grin was chilling.
    "Don't Focus on the Fingers or You will miss all the Heavenly Glory!"

Morbicid-"Maybe some moves are made just so that, if u somehow manage to pull them off in a fight, u get some serious bragging rights.

Many famous fighters have done this (roy jones jr, chuck norris, Morbicid, etc)"

Now that we've all said how sick it was...

We should let those who haven't seen OLD BOY know that it was shown at Cannes and was very well received.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Just got through watching it.

Awesome.

Not your typical revenge flick, and all the better for it. It takes the genre and your expectations and then totally mindf@cks you.

Awesome.
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

Thumbs up

awesome werent the words i was thinking when i got done watching it, but more power to you man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Just got through watching the second movie in the trilogy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. It was also quite good, but not as good IMHO as Oldboy. It was certainly less of an "eye rape." The pacing was kind of similar, with most of the really crazy stuff happening in the last half. The story is also quite twisted, just not as twisted as Oldboy.

Thematically, I can see how they relate. Apparently, revenge is messy and maybe futile.

Some really intense action, with a couple of moments that are borderline sickening.

I can't wait to see the third installment.

Ooops, I just checked and now realize I got the release dates mixed up, as Oldboy was second and Sympathy was first. That makes more sense, as I had felt after watching that Oldboy was, to me, evidence of more refined directing. There's some interesting ways some of the scenes are shot in Sympathy, but in Oldboy, the way many of the scenes were shot seemed to better capture a feeling, if that makes any sense.
    Last edited by dwid; 06-30-2006 at 08:59 AM.
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

Audition

Going back to Audition again, the noises that woman made near the end, whilst doing what she was doing to the man (really trying to be vague so that people who haven;t seen it don't find out the end!) , it was horrific! I tried covering my eyes, then my ears, then had to leave the room, but could STILL hear the noises. And I still hear those noises...
    Great film, but the noises, the noises......
    Oldboy, also made me feel quite sick, but was great. Not seen Lady Vengeance yet, but hoping to see it soon.

su lin

Please answer a question(sorry im drunk)

What is scarier, audition or oldboy and does audition have fight scenes.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Quote Originally Posted by jethro
    Please answer a question(sorry im drunk)

What is scarier, audition or oldboy and does audition have fight scenes.

I have to admit, I am pretty scared to ever watch an "asian extreme " movie again.
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!

Scarier

Mmmm, I think Audition is maybe more psychologically scary, although Oldboy manages that too. Audition doesn't have any fight scenes , but is very chilling IMO .
    THe scene where Oldboy is picking everyone off near the lift is awesome

I loved the story and choreography in Oldboy. The movie was stunning. but it just got a little too odd at the end for me.

And wtf was going on with that guy at the end who is just throwing him around? If that was a real person, as it actually looked like, a stuntman was probably killed.

It was great!Really bizarre story, that I kind of guessed might happen when watching, ut was really hoping it wasnt going to happen! Has anyone seen the sequel to Ong Bak? Saw it the other week, it was really quite impressive, but not entirely sure what I thought

is that the "tom yum goong????" movie. It looks inceredibly stupid and good, is it the one where he takes down everyone and then he fights that FUHKING SWEET capoira stylist?

yep ,thats the one. It has a lot to do with elephants! There is a capoeira guy he fights who is quite impressive.Basically it's kind of one long fight with the odd bit of dialogue thrown in! Think its the kind of film that will look fantastic on the big screen.

hope that it comes here!

It'll probably be out on dvd before too long! Not sure if there are any trailers online yet?