Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Oldboy

Casting call

Some one here should audition.
    oldboy remake casting call

After years and years of rumors, starts and stops, and everyone from Justin Lin to Steven Spielberg at various points attached to direct a remake of the South Korean revenge thriller Oldboy, it looks like this thing is really happening.

So you've heard Spike Lee is directing, and Josh Brolin is starring. Now they're filling in the rest of the roles. Take a look at this casting call that came my way. It has a full list of character names and descriptions, which gives you an idea of what this remake might look like...

OLDBOY

Feature Film

SAG-AFTRA

Director: Spike Lee
    Exec. Producer: Spike Lee
    Producers: Nathan Kahane, Doug Davison, Roy Lee, John Powers Middleton
    Co-Producer/Writer: Mark Protosevich
    Screen Play: Jo-Yun, Chun-hyung Lim, Chan-wook Park
    Casting Director: Kim Coleman
    Casting Associate: Jackie Sollitto
    Casting Assistant: Keisha Richardson
    Callbacks: Aug. 12, 2012 (Sunday)
    Shooting / Start: October 1, 2012

SUBMIT ELECTRONICALLY

[WALLACE SHARKEY] Male, 60ish, Caucasian. Joe's well-tailored, slickster boss.

[DONNA HAWTHORNE] Female, Mid 20s, Caucasian. Joe's ex-wife and mother of Mia. Once a homecoming queen, now a stripped down hardworking single mom.

[DAVE BERMAN] Mid 40s to 50s. African-American. Shlubby, but very welthy businessman. Joe hits on his much younger girlfriend.

[ASIAN WOMAN] Female, Early to mid 20s, Asian. A mysterious exotic beauty sitting at the bar observing Joe. MARTIAL ARTS EXPERIENCE A PLUS

[CHUCKY] Male, Mid 40s, Caucasian. A free spirited likeable human teddy bear who sports loud vintage Hawaiian shirts. Joe’s best friend.

[BROWNING] Male. Caucasian. Small in stature. A career criminal with pockmarked skin.

[CORTEZ] Latin male. 50s. A bullishly strong street thug/criminal.

[JAKE PRESTON] Male, Mid 30s to mid 40s, Caucasian. A clean cut tough looking former cop; the no-nonsense host of the TV show "Unsolved Crimes."

[ADULT MIA] Female, Early 20s, Caucasian. A musical prodigy on cello. Sensitive, intelligent, beautiful but humble. CELLO EXPERIENCE A PLUS.

[GRACE] Female, 50s, African American. A drug addicted nutcase in the Mobile Hospital.

[JOHNNY] Male, Mid 40s to 50s, Caucasian. A disheveled, schizophrenic man who is on the street near the Mobile Hospital unit.

[A BURLY MAN] Male, 40s, Caucasian. Muscular and serious with close-cropped hair.

[THE CHECKPOINT] Male, 40s, Open Ethnicity. A serious looking sort (probably trying to hold down two or three jobs to support his family) who is sitting at a desk in the underground parking garage.

[EDWINA BURKE] Female, Late 50s to early 60s, Caucasian, distinguished-looking. She is from Evergreen Academy where Joe attended school. She is tough, smart, and very much a lady, but a lonely one.

[SECURITY GUARD] Male, 40s to 50s, Caucasian. The guard at Evergreen Academy that patrols the grounds and takes his job a bit more seriously than he needs to.

[AMANDA PRYCE] Female, 14, Caucasian. Adrian's younger sister. She is pretty, yet shy and a bit awkward-looking.

[YOUNG JOE DOUCETTE] Male, 17, Caucasian. A young Josh Brolin.

Do note that the lone Asian character on this list is simply called "Asian Woman" and is described as "a mysterious exotic beauty" who happens to know martial arts. Yeah, can't wait for that.

I'm not crazy about this remake, but to be honest, I'm not totally against it either. I'm sort of in the middle, and this casting call just makes me say "bleh." Because no matter what happens, Park Chan-wook's original Oldboy is still a crazy insane kickass movie, and nothing changes that. Let them do what they want.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Samuel Mutha****in L. Jackson!!!

Samuel Jackson, Bruce Hornsby join Spike Lee's 'Old Boy' remake
    By Steven Zeitchik
    August 17, 2012, 10:35 p.m.
    Williamsburg, Virginia—

EXCLUSIVE: The English-language remake of Chan-wook Park's cult favorite "Oldboy"already had some big-time names, what with Spike Lee directing and Josh Brolin in the lead role.

Now the revenge drama is getting two more notables: Samuel L. Jackson and Bruce Hornsby.

Jackson has come on board for a small but critical part in the new film, according to a person close to the production who was not authorized to talk about it publicly. The actor will play the man who is being tortured by the hero (Brolin) in a key revenge scene.

Fans of the original will remember the scene as perhaps the most visceral and disturbing of the film. Protagonist Dae-su Oh exacts vengeance on a man who once guarded him by extracting his teeth one-by-one with the claw end of a hammer.

The new film, which begins shooting this fall in Louisiana and New York, won’t go with the tooth removal, instead inflicting a different kind of torture (we won’t spoil it here, but it’s plenty painful).

Jackson and Lee recently appeared together at the BET Awards in this spoof that quickly went viral. The actor of course also recently starred as Nick Fury in ""The Avengers" and will soon be seen in a movie about as anticipated as "Oldboy"--Quentin Tarantino"s"Django Unchained."

In a separate development, Hornsby has joined the new ”Oldboy” as the film's composer. The piano virtuoso has a longstanding relationship with Lee; among other things, he composed the score for Lee’s basketball documentary "Kobe Doin' Work" and the auteur's new"Red Hook Summer,"giving the spiritually themed coming-of-age story a melancholy and wistful spin.

In an interview in his hometown of Williamsburg, Va., this week, Hornsby (more on him and his eclectic career shortly) told The Times that the musical ideas for "Oldboy" are beginning to percolate. "I'm working on a few things and I'll send them to Spike soon," he said. "The 'D' word has been spoken to me by him," the musician added, referring to a dark tone. "But I think the score will also run the gamut."
    I remember Hornsby well from when he played with the Dead after Brent died.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

An update...

James Ransone Replaces Nate Parker in Oldboy
    Source: Variety
    October 16, 2012

James Ransone is set to replace the formerly attached Nate Parker in the Spike Lee-directed remake of Oldboy, Variety reports. Scheduling conflicts are cited as the reason for the swap.

Ransone, who previously worked with Lee on Inside Man and who just starred in Sinister, would reportedly play a doctor that works with Elizabeth Olsen's character.

Josh Brolin stars as the lead character Joe (Dae-su Oh in the original) who is captured and imprisoned in a hotel room for over two decades (15 years in the original) with no understanding as to why. When he is suddenly released, he's told that he has just four days to determine the reason for his imprisonment.

Sharlto Copley will co-star as the antagonist and Samuel L. Jackson is expected to make a cameo appearance in the film.

The film will be based on the manga series by Garon Tsuchiya and Nobuaki Minegishi.
    Jackson is only making a cameo? Mutha ****er!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Jackson is only making a cameo? Mutha ****er!
    yea jackson will be playing the role of "the warden" if you guys remember from the original thats the guy who got his teeth pulled out with a hammer.

Oct 25

Josh Brolin Emerges From The Official OLDBOY Poster
    Todd Brown, Founder and Editor

Spike Lee's spin on Oldboy hits theaters screens October 25th, at which point the dissection of how much the film is a straight remake of Park Chan-wook's violent opus versus how much it calls back to the source manga (as producers have promised it will do) versus how much is totally new (ditto) will begin in earnest. But for now? Now you can cast your eyes on the official theatrical one sheet.

OLDBOY is a provocative, visceral thriller that follows the story of an advertising executive (Josh Brolin) who is abruptly kidnapped and held hostage for 20 years in solitary confinement. When he is inexplicably released, he embarks on an obsessive mission to discover who orchestrated his bizarre and torturous punishment only to find he is still trapped in a web of conspiracy and torment.

Co-starring Elizabeth Olsen and Sharlto Copley, OLDBOY was directed by Spike Lee, from a script by Mark Protosevich (I Am Legend, The Cell, Thor). The film was produced by Roy Lee, Doug Davison and Nathan Kahane.

Rather than going the all-too-common photoshop route with this one FilmDistrict have used a still shot from the film itself with the text in Brolin's actual handwriting.
    still very skeptical...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    still very skeptical...
    soon as i found out this wasnt a hollywood remake my skepticism went away and i had a more wait and see reservement.. but this trailer has shown me that this movie will be bad ass http://screenrant.com/oldboy-trailer...railer-remake/

no octopus?

I am looking forward to that hammer fight. That's a big scene to measure up to.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

josh brolin has said the octopus eating scene is in there.

I can't get behind a remake of Oldboy and I don't care who did it.
    The original was awesome and still is.

One of THE best multiple attacker fight scenes ever put on camera EVER!!!!

Check it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRBwvIX7Sao

this is just the fight scene and holy crap, what a fight scene!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

just watched the original, need to wash my Eyes!!!

Why? Tears of joy?
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

A feauterette for the New film

You can watch it here: Oldboy

Unnecessary sub-par remake

I want this just for the box.
    Chinese Bootleg DVD Marketing Needs a Little Work
    By Matthew Yglesias

China is well-known for its bootleg copies of Western intellectual property, but it seems that the marketing aspects of the industry still haven't perfected their work:

In the American context, I would say that's an unnecessarily harsh review. For better or for worse, American audiences are habituated to watching English-language films and are unlikely to check out a Korean movie. The remake is perfectly enjoyable. On the other hand, I'm not sure why a Chinese audience would want to see it rather than the original.

Matthew Yglesias is Slate's business and economics correspondent. He is the author of The Rent Is Too **** High.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Did anyone watch Spike Lee's remake?

I cannot bring myself to watch it after having watched the perfect original. Hollywood also remaking The Raid - i mean WTF? Chris Hemsworth is mentioned as possible lead?!!?!?! UGH