Thread: Training in China (Epo)

Training in China (Epo)

I'm going to train in China for about a month very soon. The school I've been looking at was Epo.

I was wondering what you all thought of it?

Also if anyone has any general travel tips. This will be my first time traveling to China.

as far as i know the prices are ridiculous and the training not so great. just because the school is big and famous it doesnt make it good. it depends what you are after. on this board there is also the yantai school, or the chan wu school.

Epo? Never heard of it.

They are many good kungfu masters in mainland china but many of them were unfamous.

Some of them also still bear the old thinking & dislike foreigners, taiwanese, hongkongers & oversea chinese.

If you can't find what you want in mainland china, you could still try taiwan & hongkong.

Epo is GM Liang Yiquan's school

Liang Yiquan was named as one of the ten most prominent martial artists in China. If you want to know more about him and Epo, read my article The “ONE” of the Top Ten: Shaolin Grandmaster Liang Yiquan in our Shaolin Special 2003 or The Guardian at the Temple Gate: Shaolin's "Top Ten" Grandmaster Liang Yiqian in our Shaolin Special 2002.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

China

I guess going to China to train could be a good idea. I don't know how much you will learn and retain in a month but at least it will be fun.

Carry lots and lots of money.........and bottled water!

Thanks Gene, you've been an absolute huge help with this.

BoulderDawg I know I wish I could stay longer. My time and wallet don't permit me to do so at the moment.

Epo gallery

The title of this is a little misleading as it's really only a photo album, not some 'show' beyond the typical daily show. There are a dozen pix if you follow the link.
    Martial arts show staged at Shaolin Epo Wushu College
    By Xue Meng (People's Daily Online)
    14:56, May 30, 2012

Students practice martial arts at Shaolin Epo Wushu College. (People's Daily Online / Xue Meng)

Dengfeng, May 30 (People's Daily Online) As a serial event of the 11th "Experience Henan Online", journalists from more than 60 media visited the Shaolin Epo Wushu College in Dengfeng, Henan province on May 29 and watched martial arts show performed by college students.

The college, founded in 1977, has become one of the earliest professional martial arts schools since the founding of the People's Republic of China. It covers an area of 100,000 square meters and has excellent teaching environment.

The school has been authorized as chief secondary school by the Education Bureau of Henan province and named as "Henan Province Sports Reserved-Talents Training Base" by the Henan Provincial Sports Bureau.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Travel Tips

You could read this article: A little trouble in Big China

New doc from RT

Shaolin Documentary on girl student from Epo.

Ancient kung fu school teaches girls to ‘toughen up’ with martial arts (RT DOCUMENTARY)
    Published time: 24 Jul, 2017 09:41

One of China’s top martial art schools is now teaching girls how to train with their fists, knives, swords, and other weapons.
    Shaolin Epo Wushu College in the Shaolin Mountains is among the country’s top martial arts schools. Located near the famous monastery where monks have practiced kung fu for centuries, it’s now home to around 8,000 students, some as young as three.

The boarding school was once limited to male students, but now teaches girls the rigorous training regime their fathers learned for generations before them.

The girls practice in the same Spartan conditions as their male counterparts, and all children are encouraged to ‘toughen up’ with modest dinners and once-a-week parental visits.

Students are expected to pass each exam in order to keep their place in the prestigious school, and boys and girls alike are tested at the same level.

“The bar is set high and there are no allowances for any who fall behind,” said director Aleksandr Panov. “So, despite the hurdles along the way and the unrelenting schedule, every girl soldiers on, determined to make her parents, teachers and country proud”

‘Little Miss Kung Fu’ premiers on RT on July 24.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips