Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruan Dong...

Ruan Dong...

Hi,
    I am looking for any students of Sifu Ruan Dong of Fuzhou, China.
    I am taking a trip to Fuzhou in September and am looking for any information like accommodation, good places to eat, places of interest, that sort of thing.
    Does anyone know of any of his students?
    Thanks

Peter

Hey Mashi,
    I was there last year, PM me and i'll give you the contact details, there is also a yahoo group you can join if you would like to discuss the style also.
    Hope to talk to you soon.

Hualong

Thumbs up

Hi Hualong

Check your private messages.

Peter

Hualong,

Please send me information on the Yahoo group you mentioned!

Ron Goninan
    China Fuzhou Zhenlan Crane Boxing Australia
    White Crane Research Institute Inc
    http://www.whitecranegongfu.info
    A seeker of the way

Thought I share this:-

Many Fuzhou Crane teachers are now available for private or group tuition. You can choose to study for anything like a month to a year in China with them.

No special requirements except paying the fees involved. In other words, anyone interested could have access.

You could contact the Fuzhou Wushu Commitee for details or sign up with Dennis Ngo's organisation for their packages. No sweat. If you read Mandarin, just google the many Chinese websites regarding this;tons of info.

http://www.kungfu-taichi.com/servlet...ion/TravelHub/

Many of these teachers are willing to talk just about anything about BaiHe. In fact, many instructional Dvds are on the way. Ruan Dong got his out and they are eaily available for less than US20 bucks even in the US.

More releases are on the way.
    Last edited by Mufahok; 06-26-2006 at 04:47 PM.

Yes you can go through groups like Wushu Scholar although they are quite expensive! Much better to deal with Great Master Ruan Dong directly!

The VCD is a three volume set dealing with the HuaBaBu form and is available via Plum Publications:

http://www.plumpub.com/sales/vcd3/coll_craneboxing.htm

Ron Goninan
    China Fuzhou Zhenlan Crane Boxing Australia
    White Crane Research Institute Inc
    http://www.whitecranegongfu.info
    A seeker of the way

The form on that Cd is "Eight Linked Steps" or "Babulien". Written very clearly on the Cd sleeve "BaBuLien" in Mandarin.

"Huababu" is translated to "Neutralizing Eight Steps" a form that is no longer done in Ruan's Crane.

Plus Ruan is now openly declaring ties with Goju-Ryu karate, accepting them into his MingHe family.

Is this your stand?
    Last edited by Mufahok; 06-26-2006 at 07:11 PM.

Dennis Ngo has been appointed as the "Chief" of a "White Crane Research Committee" sanctioned by the Wushu authority of Fuzhou.

He is the liasion guy for all their programmes.

Might be relatively more expensive but he is the main man to deal with the Fuzhou teachers. Their "marketing man" so to speak.

Ruan Dong

I'd seek him out directly. At his age, he's one of the elders. Always seek out the living elders. They are our most treasured.

I captured his complete form for competition on my DVD Shaolin Trips: The First World Traditional Wushu Festival. His demonstration is towards the end, if memory serves. Also see An Interview with White Crane Master Ruan Dong By Chen Pengcheng in our 2003 July/August issue.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    I'd seek him out directly. At his age, he's one of the elders. Always seek out the living elders. They are our most treasured.
    Yes, for someone conversant in Mandarin or this case heavyly accented Fuzhou Mandarin.

In his Cd, many terminologies/phrases were given out using horizontal translations from Fuzhou to Mandarin.

A typical Mandarin speaker would find it uneasy to fully appreciate.

A similar for instance would be talking to someone from Shan Dong. Most times their Mandarin expressions are very unique making it tough for most Mandarin speakers.

Many of the Baji, ShanDong TangLang, 3 Cannons Royal Fists, Cha Quan and even Hsing I video materials from Northern China carry this kind of Mandarin.

Good information.........

Mufahok, GeneChing, thanks for that information.

Sounds like you need a translator Minghequan..

Peter
    Last edited by Mashi; 06-27-2006 at 10:19 PM.

So many hurdles...

...I've trained under many masters even though I didn't understand their native tongue. It's certainly not optimal, but I've never let a language barrier stop me. Kung Fu is a physical skill, and many masters can teach using body language; many students can learn just by watching. You might not be able to get all the theoretic or philosophic underpinnings, but that doesn't mean you won't get anything at all. There are always many obstacles to training, but never let something like a language barrier intimidate you. You can get it if you really want.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Agreed.

Kung Fu is physical, constant lifelong polishing.

Reason why, years are spent with a Master to allow for this polishing.

I am ethnic Fukien Chinese. My teachers are mostly MingNam Fukienese. Language wise; no problem.

Yet, I was made to spend tremendous time, without much verbal transmission, doing simple physical routines.

The theories and principles came much later. When one’s ready.

So if you are going to China to have a “taste”; no problem.

If you are planning to seriously pick up essence, communication is a smaller hurdle.

Insufficient time should be your most concern. This ain’t the movies; no instant Kung Fu.

Unless you're there to have pictures taken with the Master and tell stories.

Mufahok, Gene, thankyou for your advice.

I will be going in September for a taste. Then if i like the taste i shall be going back for Tea...

Minghequan, just noticed that you sell that cd on your site, or is the cd on your site Huababa ?

Peter.

Good Luck.

Best of luck to you.

Ruan is famed for revamping Minghe into one long form.

If you could get that; Brillant!