Thread: Training Kids

Hybrid View

Training Kids

At what age can children start to learn MA?

usually around 8.

but just some posture and basic stances mostly.

and no serious "power" issuing training yet.

3 years old is a good time to start.

LPS You do exist!
    The twins act out my kicks and they aren't two yet. Guess they watch me too much! I know 8 is too old to start. Should I encourage them kicking with me even though they are just 19 months?
    -Lee

Quote Originally Posted by RUFNTUFGIRL
    LPS You do exist!
    The twins act out my kicks and they aren't two yet. Guess they watch me too much! I know 8 is too old to start. Should I encourage them kicking with me even though they are just 19 months?
    -Lee
    8 is too old to start? doesn't bode well for me, I started at 21
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

When I was dateing Debbie, her 2 yearold Son picked up the entire first form of my system, and got it pretty good from just mimmiking me. After some corrections, he was really doing good even though he was only 2.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

the other relevant Q is that how young you let your kids to spar.

The Hong Kong San Da association let 6 year old to spar with San Da rules.

The parents started heated debates.

Not so much worried about the physical but mental/psych aspects.

will kids starting to spar at 6 become violent when grown up?

Last edited by SPJ; 06-24-2006 at 06:53 AM.

It depends on the child. My boys came with me to bjj class ( ages then of 5 and seven)because my wife was working. They would mimic the adults in class while off in a corner. When the instructor watched them rolling he asked me to put them in gis and he has no problem with them in class. In fact they have the best cardio of anyone when doing the conditiong drills. They do the push ups,sit ups etc. faster than any of the adults. The instructor said they look like adults when they roll and that my eldest son has a natural sense to always better his position without thinking.
    However they both like to play more than they like to learn a form. It is too much like school for them and I don't push it. Bjj is easier for them to do and is more fun. They also like to hit the shields and bag, swing the staff.
    They both competed at Ed Clay's Nashville open(youngest got 1st in Gi,3rd in No-Gi and the eldest 1st in No-Gi, 4th in Gi), The Music City Submission wrestling & bjj open( youngest placed 2nd in open weight class No-Gi, 2nd in Gi, Eldest placed 4th in Gi)Bluegrass bjj Open twice ( each got 1st the first time,youngest 1st second time) Folk wrestling and the youngest also does Free Stlye where he placed 2nd at a tournament in Ohio, 2nd in Kentucky, and has placed 1st twice in Indiana events.
    I only wish they had the continuous sparring for kids in Shaolin-Do tournaments instead of point sparring. They both have good Gnp .
    Last edited by BM2; 06-24-2006 at 04:35 PM.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Thumbs up

Depends on the kids and the teacher. Also a the style, in my oppinion. Some kids "get it" younger than others. I started my oldest off at 6 but had to take him out for a year, as he wsn't ready. My youngest has been wrestling since age 3, though, and the older has just barely gotten interested in it. It really depends on the kid. But mimicking your kicks is a promissing sign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it