Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jade Warrior

Jade Warrior

check this out!

http://www.jadewarrior.net/

some updates made to the site.

Trip out - Kung Finn!

Hey Jari,
    Tell us more about the people involved in this project. I don't know anything about Finnish cinema at all. I recognize Zhang Jingchu from Seven Swords, but that's it. Is there a U.S. release date?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Indeed, I think this movie looks pretty cool. A film with a mixture of Finnish and Chinese culture sounds intriguing to say the least. And as with most things, the addition of Kung Fu can only make it better.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

Gene,

Thanks for your interest!

The project is ja oint venture productionwise, filmed in Finland, Estonia and China. It started out as a studentproject(!) at Tampere Polytechnic where the first-time director, AJ Annila, and most of the crew studyied.

Many people are still amazed that this movie ever got made....A Finnish kung fu flick...?...mixing Finnish and Chinese folklore...?....

The martial arts director for this film is Yu Yan Kai. Mr Yu lives in Stockhom, Sweden, where he has his own kung fu school. He has studyied at the Bejing Opera Scchool and has acted in films suchs as "Tai Chi Master" and "Fong Sai Yuk".

My personal involvement in the film is minimal. I helpped Mr Yu in communicating with the actors and the Finnish stunt team. He speaks fluent Swedish as do I.

Our head instructor for the Helsinki Tang Lang school, Paavo Sjöblom, was part of the stunt team and instrumental in assisting to teach the fight choreography to the cast and stunt team. He even got a small role in the film...

I think contacting the Finnish production company, www.blindspot.fi, could be a good way to gain more accurate info. I´m sure they are happy to answer any questions. Mr Yu is also a very open person and I´m sure he could be available for a interview.

www.tanglang.fi/en
    www.jadewarrior.net
    www.blindspot.fi

-j-

cool jari

Has it already been released in Finland? How is it being received? I find the Finland angle really intriguing.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Finnish premiere is on 10/13/06. So we are still only antisipating the reactions. The film will be shown in Toronto next month during the Toronto International Film Festival.

Unfortunately I do not know if it will be distributed to the States.

-j-

Jade Warrior-Finnish/Chinese epic

I watched a great film last night,

It's a Finnish/Chinese epic based on the Finnish myth of the Kalevala .It was pretty confusing but looked stunning and was pretty interesting.I love listening to Finnish,even though I don't speak it.

I'm always fascinated by films based on mythology and this was no exception.Had some nice looking sword fights,I wouldn't call it a martial arts epic though as there wasn't quite enough fighting for that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade_Warrior_%28film%29

REALLY. I am a big Lord of the Rings geek and I have always been fascinated by the Kalevala. I will have to see it.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Ahhhh cool! I hadn't heard much about it before,it was a Finnish friend who lent me the film. You really should watch it and report back.

I am working backwards and hope to read more about it.Was reading last night about it being partly inspiration for Tolkien's writing.

I am having some trouble finding it on the net, but I will let you know when I see it.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

a few of my friends were on the stunt crew for his movie i heard it was pretty cool.

Looks great....

Su Lin

Is this getting theatrical release across the pond? I'm assuming you saw it on DVD since it was lent to you...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Oops didn't see the original thread!

I think my Finnish pal bought it over in the UK, not sure about in the US though. I thought the Finnish angle was fascinating! Am hoping my friend will tell me something about the mythology.

I found myself just listening to the dialogue as I find Finnish a lovely language to listen to!