Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting footage

That was a very interesting philosophical outlook on life. It seemed rather appropriate for the complacency many of us have either earned or been born into. What luck and good fortune that many of us can pursue and challenge ourselves, by pushing boundaries through choice, and not through the force of outside conditions. We place challenges, obstacles, opponents, through whatever form and we continue to push ourselves, physically and mentally, to see what exactly we are made of.
    Yet there are many that have been forced past any extremes many of us, hopefully, will never encounter. And they must laugh, scoff, or even shake their heads at the new generations willingly putting themselves out on an extreme line. Much like danger tourism...a search for participation, for meaning, for adventure, for seeing what the unknown will bring, a desire to shed the fantasy of television, books, movies, and the internet, and just get out there and git er done!

Good find...makes one think.
    A unique snowflake

I would like to have their skill. I think as a martial artist it would be very useful.

I wonder how they train, how they seem so light on their feet and at the same time can afford such falls.... but can the older guy do it? That appears to be the only down side.

dave's no spring chicken at 27. he's not old either, but for an athlete of that calliber ....

im sure he'll gradually lessen the abuse on his body as he gets older, but as long as he's breathing i bet hell be out there running.
    where's my beer?

From what I understand it is a lot of cardio, stretching, basic pushups, pullups, dips, lots of jumps etc,...bodyweight stuff, and I think most of them train in gymnastics and that sort of thing. There really isn't much to it...put on your running shoes and go run and jump, climb, spring, and jump some more over whatever interesting landscape you can find. Kind of like the poor man's skateboarding.

And no, there will not be an older fellow doing that...at least not twenty foot drops onto gravel.
    A unique snowflake

I think its very important to have that kind of skill to integrate with our martial arts.

I agree with Rey, it can be very useful

yet iron fist got bashed on his last thread on this very topic.

the interweb is an unfair place.
    where's my beer?

It's all about marketing GDA...
    Think about it, Ironfist doesn't really train and who has he last slagged on or actually challegned...
    Pina on the other hand was going to drive eight hours to fight EarthDragon, and is more than willing to drop an argument and suggest a fight to settle the score. His stock has gone way up in terms of legitimacy lent to his credibility. Ironfist had his hayday back when nobody here understood the S.A.I.D. principle or even the value of weight training...That era is gone and now it is all about the fight. Ironfist is like Royce Gracie and Pina is like Hughes...it is a new era and the value of posters and the promotion of certain people has swayed away from the once glorious past of Ironfist in which Ray Pina now holds a very tenable position as a guy worth listening.

(This is not support for anyone, or slaggage on anyone...just an objective opinion).
    A unique snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
    yet iron fist got bashed on his last thread on this very topic.

the interweb is an unfair place.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm
    Think about it, Ironfist doesn't really train and who has he last slagged on or actually challegned...
    Oh snap. I totally challenged my neighbor and coworker at a party last year, in a match which I WON by rear naked choke.

Ironfist had his hayday back when nobody here understood the S.A.I.D. principle or even the value of weight training...
    Oh man, I remember that. Hahaha. See, the thing is, I dished out so much ownage in that thread that it took both me and the forum some time to recover
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

i think winterpalm just won kfo.
    where's my beer?

Can I be Gracie and IronFist Hughes? .... I don't weight train and conisder myself more inline with the old thinking. Plus I lost my last sanctioned fight too

Either way, I think it would be mad cool to be able to run up to a roof top and propel myself down -- without using conventional means like stairs -- in under a minute. This would have been a great skill when I was a punk-a$$ kid and we used to throw eggs and snowballs at police cars.
    Last edited by Ray Pina; 06-28-2006 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist

Oh man, I remember that. Hahaha. See, the thing is, I dished out so much ownage in that thread that it took both me and the forum some time to recover
    so if we reverse the anaology royce was just "resting" that night with hughes
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm
    Pina on the other hand was going to drive eight hours to fight EarthDragon, and is more than willing to drop an argument and suggest a fight to settle the score. His stock has gone way up in terms of legitimacy lent to his credibility. Ironfist had his hayday back when nobody here understood the S.A.I.D. principle or even the value of weight training...That era is gone and now it is all about the fight. Ironfist is like Royce Gracie and Pina is like Hughes...it is a new era and the value of posters and the promotion of certain people has swayed away from the once glorious past of Ironfist in which Ray Pina now holds a very tenable position as a guy worth listening.

(This is not support for anyone, or slaggage on anyone...just an objective opinion).
    Tell me again why challenging someone to a fight, setting it up, and then reconciling/deciding not to fight after all connotes any more credibility than say, issuing one of the countless other empty challenges that have been issued here over the years.

Nothing against Ray or anything, just shining a light on a hole in your logic.
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

It's about drama and PR.
    Who is the last guy you voted for that got in...I bet he didn't do a tenth of the things he said he would but he certainly grabbed your attention with all the stuff he said he would do that would fix the country. Besides, Ray admitted he was wrong and that takes a lot of courage especially when you consider pride and ego...not saying any is involved on anyone's part but it could be.

WE could change it from Hughes and Gracie to Tyson and Lewis. Tyson was great for what he did at that time, but then it was Lewis who took over.
    Great thread.
    A unique snowflake

like i said before i dont like this whole urban running thing, but this guy david belle, definetly is a strong mofo, with great balance and strength.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.