Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is this not Understood?

Hybrid View

Why is this not Understood?

I want to know why so many martial artists of hard styles don't understand why Southern Mantis can't be used in it's traditional way. It is understood to me why this is. I'm asking why they can't understand this. It is simply because we are using our hands in ways you can't in MMA. They say it is useless not to be able to use it for trophies. I wish it would be understood that I don't get a belt or trophies in SPM, but it is far from useless. The style uses Chi and they can't develop Chi through a glove can they?
    It's not what you do, it's how you do it.
    It's not what you train, it's how you train it.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    "The moon is not affected by the baying of wolves"

Howling

that is a good one indeed ! Very cool Ten Tigers
    Kune Belay Sau

I've seen Southern Mantis used in sport fighting (some kind of continuous medium contact point fighting). It worked pretty well, and though he didn't win under this rule set, it looked to me like he was the better fighter. His fighting even looked exactly like you see in their form work.

Why can't chi go through a glove? And if there's a reason this is a problem, why can't you send chi through your feet, knees, or elbows?

chi

Quote Originally Posted by B-Rad
    Why can't chi go through a glove? And if there's a reason this is a problem, why can't you send chi through your feet, knees, or elbows?
    Can you make your blood leap outside your body with just thought? No.

Then why is chi any different? And you most certainly can direct chi to any part of your body.

See people tend to think of chi as being analogous to 'electricity' or 'energy' (ie. it can 'jump a gap'), when in fact it is more accurate to liken it with something like blood. It fills the body, moves around the body in cycles and can be forced into a specific part of the body with practice.

So much like the lymphatic system (which was denied in western medicine until relatively recently) the chi system will most likely one day be acknowledged by western science (and the acknowledgement has already begun ie. acupuncture) at which point the 'mysticism' will evaporate.

Hope that helps,

Jay

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lam Tong Long

So much like the lymphatic system (which was denied in western medicine until relatively recently)
    Jay

Gung fu is a way of life not a way of belts and trophies .MMA sucks anyway.
    Don't give up exceed your limit to see the heaven in the sky,compete with yourself to defeat what you were and become a gung fu man.

That really was a good answer. I always loved MMA as someone who didn't have any MA training and now that I'm training SPM, I think MMA is pointless. I am not training it so I can win trophies or have belts. I'm learning it because I really love martial arts. Most of the MMA fighters I've talked to are all fighting to be the best or whatever. That is ridiculous to me because no matter how good you are, there is always a style that will beat you. It's not so much I care that alot of people talk about styles like this in a bad way, I just wish I could understand not, at least, appreciating the style.
    It's not what you do, it's how you do it.
    It's not what you train, it's how you train it.

a man who has not tasted bitter cannot know sweet.

(tt you ain't got the corner on fortune cookie wisdom round hyar but that was a perfect response lol )
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Someone please explain in detail why SPM won't work in mma or under a similar rule set?
    Sounds like an excuse for lack of experience. It's just plain silly to say that any CMA can only be used for fighting but not competition, mma, or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuHung
    Someone please explain in detail why SPM won't work in mma or under a similar rule set?
    Sounds like an excuse for lack of experience. It's just plain silly to say that any CMA can only be used for fighting but not competition, mma, or whatever.
    exzachary.

any martial art, provided it is more than ritualistic dance can be adapted to fit an mma venue.

If it's got punches, kicks throws and holds, you can make it fit.

If you can't make it fit, you don't have kungfu there. You have something else...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared1211
    I want to know why so many martial artists of hard styles don't understand why Southern Mantis can't be used in it's traditional way. It is understood to me why this is. I'm asking why they can't understand this. It is simply because we are using our hands in ways you can't in MMA. They say it is useless not to be able to use it for trophies. I wish it would be understood that I don't get a belt or trophies in SPM, but it is far from useless. The style uses Chi and they can't develop Chi through a glove can they?

1. why can't many tma understand the mma can be just as deadly on the street as tma?

2. why do tma think we don't understand you use your hands differently? we understand just fine.

3. anyone who thinks competition is all about trophies doesn't really understand competition.

4. why can't people in general understand that live practice is necessary for the development of skill and that forms and two man drills aren't enough?

4. I would argue the you can issue qi through a glove. If you can't, is your qi then also useless against a person with really thick clothing, or layers of fat?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Chi

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    1. why can't many tma understand the mma can be just as deadly on the street as tma?

2. why do tma think we don't understand you use your hands differently? we understand just fine.

3. anyone who thinks competition is all about trophies doesn't really understand competition.

4. why can't people in general understand that live practice is necessary for the development of skill and that forms and two man drills aren't enough?

5. I would argue the you can issue qi through a glove. If you can't, is your qi then also useless against a person with really thick clothing, or layers of fat?
    1. Some do...

2. Some do...

3. Some don't...

4. Some do...usually the ones that can make it work....

5. Chi isn't really about putting anything INTO anything external. When you strike with chi power it's like condensing that energy into your fist (for eg) to make you hand harder and therefore inflict more damage. You can still do this with a glove on but the chi doesn't 'pass thru' it. When people talking about hitting with 'chi' (ie passing chi into someone elses body) they are probably talking about the effects that are associated with using chi to perform a strike with great 'ging'.
    Or they are jokers with fantasy powers......
    Last edited by Lam Tong Long; 07-07-2006 at 05:53 AM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Lam Tong Long
    1. Some do...

2. Some do...

3. Some don't...

4. Some do...usually the ones that can make it work....

5. Chi isn't really about putting anything INTO anything external. When you strike with chi power it's like condensing that energy into your fist (for eg) to make you hand harder and therefore inflict more damage. You can still do this with a glove on but the chi doesn't 'pass thru' it. When people talking about hitting with 'chi' (ie passing chi into someone elses body) they are probably talking about the effects that are associated with using chi to perform a strike with great 'ging'.
    Or they are jokers with fantasy powers......

completely agree. These were merely generalizations in response to the poster's initial generalizations.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar

4. I would argue the you can issue qi through a glove. If you can't, is your qi then also useless against a person with really thick clothing, or layers of fat?

Why do people love to use strawmen?

Anything can be deadly on the street.

If you understood that some use their hands differently, you wouldn't be expecting them to perform with the same equipment you do. If someone develops a high level of skill with a gun, why should they be able to enter an archery contest. Are you going to try to lecture on the overlap between those skills? Or which is more effective on the street?

You use what you train, right? Why do you expect people to use what you train, and not what they train?