Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeling a little uncomfortable

When we started doing bone conditioning I got alot of looks and questions for the lumps and bruises on my arms. I tried to explain the point of it, but it very quickly just turned into "I got beat up at class." Ever since then that's pretty much been everyone's assumption when I come in limping, brusied, or bandaged.

Makes trying to get off on injuries at work a bugger. "We know you're not hurt that bad, you've worked through with worse from the outside."
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.

what you gotta do is shrimp up and keep your guard up, pay attention to the incoming and make your tactical decisions accordingly.

you'll get less black eyes that way.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

My last black eye

In sort of the reverse of what Hard Fists is experiencing, it was well over a decade ago when I got a black eye 'in the field'. I do volunteer psych tech work for the Haight Ashbury Free Clinic as part of my charity efforts. A combative patient caught me with a sucker punch to my orbital ridge, which caused some discoloration under my eye. It wasn't bad, but it was colorful. I was the head instructor then, so when I got back to the kwoon, everyone was amused. Never mind that I told them I did this sort of work before, it was probably too weird for them to wrap their minds around. There's nothing like a black eye for validation. I remember my simu at the time, who knew nothing of real combat, saw my eye and asked incredulously, 'didn't you use your kung fu?' My sifu overheard this and gave a huge eye roll behind her and chuckled as he walked away, shaking his head at her.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

funny how people think that because you learn martial arts, you must be impervious to this kind of thing.

last black eye I had I got while I slept and my wife rolled over and elbowed me. lol
    I didn't even wake up and was wondering what the deal was the next day.

Used to work with a guy who was a karate instructor. One day hes out for lunch and some punkass kids are screwing around with people in the drive through, so he get's out of his car and tells them off. They throw a rock at him, hit him square in the eye and almost bust his nose then they run off.

sh1t happens.
    Kung Fu is good for you.