Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Taoist Tai Chi"

mantis108 Guest

Enlightening...

No wonder bullfighting events like the UFC and NHB are always sold out. Let's burn all the classics (well... books for that matter). Win as a dumb brute is better than being a smarter fighter. Aman!

Ma,

Don't forget the most powerful of all - walk 7 times around the walls and keep praising the Big Guy. That is the most secrat of all whatchamccaller art. Remember now it is 7 and 7 it is! No more and no less! It is not the number 6 nor is it the number 5. It is the number 7!!!!!!! Number 7 it shall do His WONDER.

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa

PingAnTu Guest

Daoism and WuDang

When I was in Seattle last month on business, I talked to by Uncle-in-law who is a Taiji Teacher. He told me that (supposedly) the greatest remaining WuDang martial artist who got all the goodies is coming to Seattle this summer. This is Daoist Taiji and Bagua. He told me that this is different than the popular styles of these arts. He said they all originally came from WuDang mountian but were "corrupted". I don't know how good this guys skill is but it would be worth checking out. If anyone is interested, I can post the location and dates and names when I find them out. I don't know, but if you don't speak chinese you might have to watch and learn.

Also, he said the main difference is that in Wudang taiji etc... you can't see the Jing until it's too late. Who knows?

"When I fought the foreign boxer in Kyoto, I jumped up and punched him in the face. This is effective against people who are taller than you." -- Motobu Choki

brassmonkey Guest

Rockwood

"One does not use the I Ching or Tao Te Ching to develop martial arts skill."
    Would you be suprised if I could link alot of passages from the Tao Te Ching to the Classics? I read a book somewhere that did just this. I might have read it in 1 of Douglas Wile's books and myself was suprised but only read it once and havent referred to it since because I myself at the time believed it to be more academic comparison but perhaps a study of the both would yield some results with hard work.

remo Guest

taoist tai chi

Censored,

Yes, I've been studying taoist tai chi for a while, what would you like to know?

"We forge our bodies in
    the fire of our will." Han
    from 'Enter the Dragon'

JWTAYLOR Guest
    From Rockwood "What does martial arts have to do with singing prayers and burning incense?"

The real question si what does singing prayers and burning incense have to do with Taoism.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

[Censored] Guest
    PingAnTu: I am very interested in the Seattle seminar/demonstration/whatever. Please do post details.

Remo: How long have you done Taoist Tai Chi? What is your lineage? How is your practice different then other Tai Chi schools outside your organization? Does your school teach martial arts or strictly for health? And, what's with the name?

walkthecircle Guest

REAL Pa KUA??? haha

ANYone claiming to have the ONLY real Pa kua is full of it.

If i grew a LONG white beard and wore some silk PJs and said i was from Wudong...think I could draw a crowd? haha

come on now. The chinese destroyed all that...what that guy probably has is flexi sword wushu style.

funny how we're all SEEKING so bad for that ONE answer that matches the image in our heads.

He has nothing more to say than many of the great masters from the sacred land of the good ol' USA.

walkthecircle Guest

best master?

Best master you should seek is YOURSELF!

Value your sifu...if they teach a complete system (KEY element)...AND

Practice practice practice....

Wudong? Is right there in your training hall.

Shaolin temple? When ever you wake up at 5am to do your stance work.

Chen village? Right there where your pushing it beyond the burn and GIVING UP a night on the town for night of single whip...and scooping moon.

difference between you and your teacher? Many years of practice and experience. AND TASTING THE BITTER.

remo Guest

taoist tai chi

Censored,

I have been balancing my study of martial arts with taoist tai chi for about five years.

My instructor has studied under Moy Lin-shin (the founder of this version)

The practice and version are one in the same, mainly for health benefits.

And, as for the name, I'll copy a small portion from the introduction of the book "The Art of Taoist Tai Chi":

"Master Moy Lin-shin, a Taoist monk, dedicated his life to the Taoist art of Tai Chi after experiencing firsthand its healing power. He had been quite ill as a youth, but was gradually restored to health through his study of Tai Chi, Taoist meditation, Lok Hup Ba Fa, and other internal arts. Combining his extensive knowledge of the Taoist classics with training he received from respected teachers in China and Hong Kong, Master Moy developed a unique form of Tai Chi that he called Taoist Tai Chi in recognition of its strong roots in the Taoist tradition."

An interesting side note to all of this, is the instructors of taoist tai chi collect a small fee for the class, but this goes to the rental of the hall or community center, and some for administration; basically, non-profit.

WARNING: 'Testimonial' :rolleyes: (you may skip this if you wish)
    After years of martial arts training (hard stuff), you can imagine I wasn't in the greatest condition; bad knees, bad back, etc...
    But, after a few years of taoist tai chi, I CAN SEE! :D
    Also, this practice gently forces your body back into alignment and a lot of my collected ailments have left me. :)
    This style is very popular with the older crowd.(as in retired like your grandparents :cool: )

For what it's worth.

solur Guest

taoism and taiji

Taoism is not about burning incense and making fruit offerings, it is simply a philosohpy and Taiji is based on part of this philosophy. The religious sect of Taoism is far from its original inetent as just a way in seeing things. Real taoism is far from religion.

[Censored] Guest
    I would like a clarification. Is the practice in your school mainly for health or entirely for health? Do you do any martial practice whatsoever? And if so, how would you evaluate their martial ability, based on your years in harder styles?

Also, how much class time is spent preaching Taoism, and how much is spent practicing Tai Chi?

remo Guest

healthy chi

Censored,

The form and basics are of course tai chi moves and postures; but, performed for health benefits.
    I am definitely the youngest in a class of mainly retired ladies and gents wanting to keep their movement and energy at a high level. Which may give you an idea of the direction this style and class takes.
    Only from my other training do I appreciate the balance and great footwork. But, to answer your question as to martial applications, it is not taught for that reason. Nor are there many martial type exercises (at this time, I've only been at this taoist tai chi for five years).
    As a bit of interest, you can't tell how old my instructor is, he moves as well as I do and I have to be half his age. (makes me think there's something to those wild stories of old kung-fu masters) ;)
    All of our time is spent on tai chi, aside from some quiet meditation and relaxation after a couple of sets. There has never been any teaching of taoism in all the time I've been there.(maybe that's only for the inner circle :D )

[Censored] Guest

walkthecircle, quit exaggerating.

Will I be fooled by any old Chinese guy with a beard and silk PJs? Not likely. If he's a phony, then I can always "request a refund" or a "private lesson", right? ;) It sounds as if you have never been to Shaolin, Wudang, or Chen village, or you would not be so arrogant and dismissive. Then again, maybe you are better then every martial artist in China.

Gluteus Maximus Guest

A few things I noticed

Hi Remo, Censored et al,

I'm a Wing Chun man who's dabbled In Tai Chi a bit, and a couple of years ago, my housemate at the time had a friend visit here from his home town who was a Taoist Tai Chi instructor there.

The form had the same movements (performed slightly differently though), in the same order as the Yang long form I learnt. However, while watching him do the form over a period of two weeks every morning, apart from the stretching that you mentioned, one particularly notable difference was the way that he did a 45 degree pivot of the foot, like at the end of single whip for example. Instead of pivotting on the heel as I learnt, he pivotted on the toes. It seemed to me that a lot of the power would go out of the movement doing it this way, as energy would be travelling backwards out of the rear foot instead of up through the leg and forwards, where I would have thought you'd want it for martial application.

I asked him whether he did push hands and he said yes, but most of the people he taught were quite infirm, in old people's homes, etc, so he only did it with select students who were interested in that side of it and who were fit enough. I showed him some Wing Chun sticky hands and he showed me some push hands based on the 'peng' movement.

Like Remo though, I was very impressed with his flexibiltiy, ease of movement and apparent energy and health. For a guy in his mid-60s, he moved like someone in their 30s.

Max

"The force can be envisaged as cone-shaped". Tsui Seung Tin