Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have you ever carried an illegal knife in public?

Sharky Guest
    LOL at this thread.

Fu(king LOL.

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

TaoBoxer Guest

Don't assume cops know

When I got to Texas I got a copy of the State Criminal Code at the local community college (they sell them for 10 dollars to the Law Enforcement students). I looked up all the pertinent sections regarding Knives and weapons, cut them out, neatly folded them, and put them in my wallet.

The reason for this was 2-fold. 1, don't assume cops KNOW what is legal and illegal. He might decide he doesn't like the way you look and take your blade. 2, he might KNOW it's legal and want one for himself. I had a guy try to take my Neely Aikuchi. I asked him what made it an illegal knife and he said I had it "concealed," so I asked him which SubSection of the Illegal Knife statute said it had to be carried in the open. I pulled them out of my wallet and handed them to him. He threw them in the gutter and told me to get out before he cited me...... I had to buy another copy ofthe Crim Code, but I kept my knife : )

JWTAYLOR Guest
    Any time you want copies let me know. I've got the whole library of Texas Criminal Statues in my office.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

a_nonny_mouse Guest

I'd love a copy!

And so would my wife! We've been wondering how illegal we are, driving with various weapons to and from class. :Þ

A Nonny Mouse Does as A Nonny Mouse Will.

JWTAYLOR Guest
    You are legal carrying anything to and from class. Unless you are talking about a weapon with a silencer or an automatic weapon, or maybe an RPG, which you will have to buy a license for. However, it will be up to you to prove that it was just going to and from class.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

a_nonny_mouse Guest

Heh!

Thanks JWT!

Slightly OT, our neighbors probably think we're a pair of weirdo's, carrying these weapons to and from our car, evenings. :D

Turiyan Guest

yes

Back in the days, it was a kabar I stole out of an guys shack when I was a mini-ninja. I was listening to too much eazy-e and it was just one of those things. "Never leave the house without packing a gun".

Well, a knife's pretty **** close. Every break into the neibors house just to make a sandwitch? Ahh, that tangy zip of miracle whip.

Next time you find a beer gone or that slice of pizza.... now you know. You probably left a window open.

Turiyan

"All the limits established in the world, o king, are marked by danda. ...No man will sacrifice if he is not afraid, nor will he give gifts or hold to his promise... I see no being which lives in the world without violence. Creatures exist at one anothers expense. The stronger consume the weaker. The mongoose eats mice, just as the cat eats the mongoose. The dog eats the cat. O king, and wild beasts eat the dog. Man eats them ALL -- see DHARMA for what it *IS*! Everything that moves and is still, is food for life"
    --Mahabharata (my emphasis)

Turiyan gold, Brahmin caste, Ordos clan
    "A Brahmin, coming into existence, is born as the highest on earth, the
    lord of all created beings, for the protection of the treasury of the
    (natural) law. Whatever exists in the world is (by right), the
    property of the Brahmin; on account of the excellence of his origin
    (primogeniture and eminence of birth) The Brahmin is, indeed, entitled
    to it all" --C1V99-V100 The laws of manu

origenx Guest
    No, just boxcutters :)

Gravity Knives unconstitutional.

First Nunchuks and now Gravity Knives. Bless our constitution.

Judge rules New York ‘gravity knife’ ban unconstitutional
    By Andrew Denney March 28, 2019 | 7:49pm | Updated

A utility knife Elliot Parrilla had purchased at Home Depot and was deemed a gravity knife.
    Legal Aid Society

A federal judge ruled on Thursday that the state law that bans “gravity” knives is unconstitutional because it’s too difficult to enforce.

Federal District Judge Paul Crotty specifically mentioned a so-called “wrist-flick test” used by Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance’s office.

The test, used by cops who attempt to open the knife by flipping it, is arbitrary and shows that the law is too difficult to enforce, the judge said.

“The wrist-flick test is just absurd,” said Martin LaFalce of The Legal Aid Society. “It’s absurd that criminal liability turns on the athletic skill of individual officers.”

Under Vance’s method a police officer who isn’t very good at flicking open a folding knife could give it four or five tries before it locks into place — and it could still be considered a gravity knife, Crotty said.

The ruling pertains to a suit filed by Joseph Cracco, a sous chef who works in Manhattan and who was arrested in 2013 at Grand Central Station for carrying on his belt a folding knife that he uses for work.

Cracco said it took the arresting officer four or five attempts to open the knife with the wrist-flick method. Cracco eventually pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct.

A spokesman for the Manhattan DA said the office is reviewing the decision.

Vance has been outspoken in his opposition to changes in the state gravity knife law, saying that it is needed to keep New Yorkers safe from knife attacks on the streets and subways.
    I've always thought the definition of gravity knives was ambiguous.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

ttt42023

Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Massachusetts court stumped as to whether Second Amendment protects switchblades
    The justices confessed confusion over how the Wild West — and West Side Story — should fit into its constitutional analysis.

THOMAS F. HARRISON / December 4, 2023

BOSTON (CN) — A ban on carrying switchblades violates the Second Amendment, a defendant told the Massachusetts Supreme Court Monday, but the justices seemed puzzled over how to apply the U.S. Supreme Court’s most recent Second Amendment decision and inclined to remand the case to develop the record.

The U.S. Supreme Court held last year in New York State Rifle & Pistol Association Inc. v Bruen that a weapons restriction is unconstitutional if it isn’t “consistent with the nation's historical tradition.'

“I don’t know what national historic tradition means,” complained Justice David Lowy Monday. “Do we consider regulations after 1868, when the Fourteenth Amendment was passed?”

Lowy also wondered if he should focus on state history or national history. “Does it matter if folks in Wyoming in 1867 might have had a little different view of whether you needed to have whatever the closest thing to a switchblade was?” he asked. “I’m not sure how folks in Montana might have felt after the Civil War.”

It doesn’t matter, asserted public defender Kaitlyn Gerber, because “no party has found any regulation whatsoever prior to 1950 that is akin to an absolute ban” on switchblades.

Massachusetts and many other states banned switchblades in the late 1950s following a public outcry about knife violence sparked by popular entertainments such as West Side Story and 12 Angry Men. The concern eventually subsided, and since 2008 some 19 states have repealed their switchblade laws.

“Does West Side Story … fit into the Bruen analysis?” asked Justice Frank Gaziano.

“It’s a bit tangential,” Gerber answered.

“I don’t know where it fits in legally. I don’t know if it’s relevant,” Gaziano wondered. “And then do we get into the reasons for the statute, which are not all that pleasant in their ethnic and racial components?”

Laws against such weapons have a long history of being racially motivated, according to an amicus brief filed by the state’s criminal defense lawyers’ association and a local Korean martial arts group.

Since the underlying case was decided before Bruen, Chief Justice Kimberly Budd suggested "there be a remand to give the commonwealth an opportunity to show” how the ban fits into the historical tradition. It was a suggestion to which the other justices seemed amenable, in part because they worried that the U.S. Supreme Court could take the case and fault their historical analysis.

“If this case were to go up,” Gaziano mused, “then the question would be, why did you look at the 1950s, when you should have stuck to the tri-cornered hats?”

Instead of remand, Assistant District Attorney Elisabeth Martino urged the court to throw the case out altogether on the grounds that switchblades aren’t “arms” under the Second Amendment. But she made little headway.

A weapon isn’t an “arm” unless it’s commonly used for self-defense today, she claimed, and switchblades aren’t. “But that’s because you banned them,” Gaziano dryly pointed out.

Justice Serge Georges noted that there was no evidence in the record as to how common it is for switchblades to be used for self-defense, which was another good reason for remand.

Martino also argued that a handgun can be used as a deterrent — “stop or I’ll shoot” — whereas switchblades are concealed and aren’t obviously lethal until they’re used.

But “under your logic it would be okay to ban concealable handguns, and everyone would have to carry a long gun or a rifle for self-defense,” Gaziano objected. “I just don’t get your distinction.”

Georges also argued that switchblades are more useful for self-defense than traditional folding knives. “You’re being attacked. Do you want the knife to defend yourself that you’re already in the midst of panic and angst and you’ve got to try to figure out how to unfold it, or do you want the knife that you can hit a button and it’ll be deployed?”

The case at issue involves a defendant named David Canjura who was stopped by police in downtown Boston after an argument with his girlfriend. Canjura had a switchblade on him at the time, although he never took it out or threatened to use it.

Massachusetts law, which carries a jail term of up to five years, bans a wide variety of other weapons including stilettos, nunchucks, brass knuckles, daggers, kung fu sticks, ninja throwing stars and manrikigusari. But the court made clear that it would consider only switchblades and none of the more exotic weapons.

In August of this year, the Ninth Circuit applied Bruen and struck down Hawaii’s ban on butterfly knives. Massachusetts is one of 16 states that have petitioned that court for a reconsideration.
    The public defender's name is Gerber...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart