Thread: Pincer Claw

Pincer Claw

Gene maybe you can shed some light on this for me..........and anyone else of course

In seven star fist (Qi Xing Chuan) the hand position is held in a pincer claw position...what is the reason and how would one apply it to a situation...i understand that in the days of old qi xing practioners would perform iron finger qi gong and tendon change excercises to develop massive finger, hand and wrist strength.........are the fingers splayed out representive of a grab, strike, etc......i get the back hand strikes and the hook over...........etc....but why spread finger...we where always taught to keep our fingers tight together as if bound by cord when in a palm position.........

thanks for any help

The monk who taught my Sigong when he went to Shaolin, Shi Hengqiang, said that when you go into the squat stance with one claw up and one down, you are blocking and either pushing on the hip to unbalance, squeezing the quad muscles apart, or if you have strong fingers, piercing the quads. He also called it Jizhao, or chicken claw.
    Also lots of eyes rakes and gouges are used.

7 star

Seek you 7 Star Fist: Shaolin Qixing Quan Revealed By Shifu Shi Xing Ying with Grace Gee, Bujin Guo, and Chen Xinghua in our 2005 Shaolin Special. The answer to your question is addressed in paragraph 4.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Pincer claws

good day all

it seems that no one knows why or has any know on shaolin seven star fist....can anyone refer me to someone who has studied the form

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by qixingmantis
    ...In seven star fist (Qi Xing Chuan) the hand position is held in a pincer claw position...what is the reason and how would one apply it to a situation...
    Do you have a picture or illustration?
    Bloodninja: I stomp the ground, and snort, to alert you that you are in my breeding territory.

I have Mantis experience, Believe it or not, and it is in 7* mantis, believe it or not.

That Pincher claw or Hook helps train the forearm for blocking and also keeping a close guard for yourself when being attacked(ie pulling that elbow in). It also helps to train that forearm for adhereing to a punch when it is thrown. You use that claw/hook to block and draw in the punch. Its like you are pulling downward and in once you block the punch. From there you are either going to punch to their face or you are in close to subdue the opponent(ie: head lock or choke). The two fingers that are being braced by the thumb just aid in that grasp and also can brace the fingers for a poke/Strike to the eyes.

Peace,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Ji Zhao (Rooster hand) strategy

Qi Xing quan vary important for those who want to learn Shaolin defensive strategies. The Ji Zhao (Rooster claw)--or better to be considered as constituting a Rooster hook together with the wrist and arm--is (one of) the most successful (effective while simple which needs the least amount of force to act) gesture for a defending arm and this strategy of hooking wrist is widely used in other kung fu styles as well. Here the opened hand is mainly intended to form the top part of the hook, but it can be actively used to grab, blow, slap, chop, jab, pluck, etc, with the palm, the back of hand, wrists, arms, and the fingers. All these subtle applications are seen in Qi Xing quan.
    Last edited by SHemmati; 07-07-2015 at 01:33 PM.

The shape of the claw hand found in jixingbu seems to be mostly stylistic when practiced in taolu or danshi. As you enter and apply the hooks with the foot and the other hand, the "claw" hand can be applied as a grab to the jacket, a strike with the palm or the forearm, or to cup the opponent's chin in the palm...all of them serve to reinforce the off-balancing of the hooking foot.