Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Taijiquan question

oh.. my muscle is too tight, scare gonna take long time to train flexibility as I'm not so young anymore. So any stretching method or step is good to train for flexibility without hurting much? I don't think I need to go Yoga for that right, lol

Just take your time. I was 40 when I picked up xingyi and tai chi, took me almost 2 months just to loosen up, I still have a LONG way to go, but I am making progress.

oh ok, thanks for your reply

Post taiji

Greetings, here s some info to your questions, hopefully it ll help.

1.Sites should be last resort. Although sites like this one with forums can be helpful. Better off buyin some books. Robert chuckrow, Dr. Yang jwing-ming are some recomendations.
    2.First u got to know basics+stances. Then learn a form. Only after completing a form should u learn a new form. Forms were created as tools for us to achieve taiji.Different structures with same results. Learning more styles will compliment ur previous ones+ also deepen u r understandin.
    3.Done wrong u can harm u r self externally+internally. So be humble+steadfast+patient. Most of all listen to u r body.
    4.Dry + tight palms could be circulation prob. Depends.
    5.Practise benifits externally+internally. Basically, health, exercise, cultivation of virtue.

Any questions or comments write me

Quote Originally Posted by daoman
    Greetings, here s some info to your questions, hopefully it ll help.

1.Sites should be last resort. Although sites like this one with forums can be helpful. Better off buyin some books. Robert chuckrow, Dr. Yang jwing-ming are some recomendations.
    2.First u got to know basics+stances. Then learn a form. Only after completing a form should u learn a new form. Forms were created as tools for us to achieve taiji.Different structures with same results. Learning more styles will compliment ur previous ones+ also deepen u r understandin.
    3.Done wrong u can harm u r self externally+internally. So be humble+steadfast+patient. Most of all listen to u r body.
    4.Dry + tight palms could be circulation prob. Depends.
    5.Practise benifits externally+internally. Basically, health, exercise, cultivation of virtue.

Any questions or comments write me
    Thanks for more reply

http://www.emptyflower.com/

http://www.shenwu.com/

http://www.egreenway.com/taichichuan/ntes.htm

Good place to start anyways.

Use common sense, you can get far.

strike!

www.yogajournal.com

This site has a links section that will also get you far.

strike!

Thanks for all the website

Quote Originally Posted by scholar
    4. Dong Yingjie was a famous student of Yang Chengfu who also studied with Yang Shaohou and Wu Jianquan. Classical Yang "Large Frame" style.
    Scholar: I really like this clip, it's similar to what I study. Thanks for posting the link.

Thanks, I found it by accident a few weeks ago. I was just amazed that there are vids from all the major styles that are impressive as heck. It is rare to find one good clip, but 6?

Dong Yingjie was a close colleague to my teacher's uncle and father before and after 1949, when they all moved to HK. They had good things to say about him.

Quote Originally Posted by pops
    Just a warning not to bother going to wudang acadamy...and all of ther masters have left for other schools or to teach in USA.
    Well it seems that the monks from Wudang have come to Austin, Texas. They will be here this week: http://www.healingtaoinstitute.com/wudangdvd.html

Btw, 1 more question, does anyone mix Taijiquan with other External Art (Waijia)? Is it recommended? or I should aim to complete all those 3 internal art is better? If yes how will u rank it, taiji first 2nd should be xinyi or 3rd bagua? Thanks

Well, IMO it isn't good to mix hard style and soft style. It isn't that there is anything wrong with either one, but they cancel each other out. If you train to be soft and then train to be hard, for example, you reverse the soft conditioning you've just been doing. There is a lot of disagreement on this subject, though, so you'll have to consider other opinions, too.

Bagua or Xingyi aren't better or worse than Taijiquan. It has to do with the skill level of the teacher. A good Bagua teacher will teach you better than a crappy Xingyi or Taiji teacher, a good Taiji teacher..., etc. Generally, you'll find fewer frauds teaching Bagua or Xingyi, though. Taijiquan is rife with people who declare themselves masters but actually have very little to teach, and zero martial ability. You will be able to find dozens of threads to that effect on this discussion board alone...

oh ok, thanks for your reply Btw, any website is good for downloading taijiquan music?

Hi abc, sorry, I wanted to answer you earlier but I had to wait for activation.
    I like you have to learn Tai Chi online because the closest school is 2 hours away from me.
    I found this site which gives free online lessons very detailed. If like me then you are interested you can buy at the same site videos detailed about the form, the applications, understanding the Chi, exercises to improve your body and joints, push hands and much more+books from the same master.

As they told me in another forum there have been talented people in the old China that learnt martial arts only from reading books. I don't expect miracles and I learn all I can just being aware that I give everyday my 100%+.

DON'T underestimate the safety rules tho, like bending your knees inward, bending the back and so on. You could really hurt yourself.
    The site is Micheal Gilmans's and he was student of the late sifu Choy Kam-man whose father studied under Yang Chengfu (thus what you will learn is Yang Style, I raccommend the long form coz it is funnier hee hee).
    www.gilmanstudio.com
    Last edited by charyuop; 07-28-2006 at 03:04 PM.