Thread: Personal instruction or group classes?

Exclamation Personal instruction or group classes?

From a self defense stand point, do you think it's more beneficial to strictly have personal instruction or to attend group classes? With personal instruction, it's just you and your teacher, he can focus on you and correct you when needed, and offer so excellent insight, that you might not get with group classes. But with group classes (assuming there is sparring) you can match up with a variety of different students, of different skill and experience levels.

I ask this, because I know there are some excellent teachers, who strictly teach one on one. I believe sparring to be an excellent tool in learning how to fight like you're taught, especially when you spar different ppl. But how well can one truly get with personal instruction? Do you think the potential for your fighting skills is greater or less with personal instruction?

bar none group classes, however a monthly 1 on 1 class is awsome. this allows you to have 100% attention and focus on you. but you can never excel properly with private lessons, i know I tried to teach them. You need class time and other students participation.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by Yung Apprentice
    From a self defense stand point, do you think it's more beneficial to strictly have personal instruction or to attend group classes? With personal instruction, it's just you and your teacher, he can focus on you and correct you when needed, and offer so excellent insight, that you might not get with group classes. But with group classes (assuming there is sparring) you can match up with a variety of different students, of different skill and experience levels.

I ask this, because I know there are some excellent teachers, who strictly teach one on one. I believe sparring to be an excellent tool in learning how to fight like you're taught, especially when you spar different ppl. But how well can one truly get with personal instruction? Do you think the potential for your fighting skills is greater or less with personal instruction?

I think the problem with this is that most people can't afford one-on-one.

I personally think it would be great to attend my classes then have several additional private lessons every week on the side. However that's way outside of my budget.

Group classes, supplemented by regular one on one.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Depends on your level, your motivation, practice habits, etc...

If you are a beginner or intermediate, the group class is the main thing. For beginners, you will be wasting a lot of time with private instruction...and the time of the teacher.

There is just so much that you can absorb in a class - and you can get that in a group setting. A good teacher should be hitting each person in class and correcting what they are able to absorb. If the teacher in the group class is not doing that, it is doubtful that you would get that in a private setting..and you would be down the money for the instruction.

As you move to intermediate levels, private instruction can get things solid. The focus is still more on the group class for body training, more hours, new stuff...and then private to supplement what you have been shown in group. At this point, private sessions can make a difference because there is something to build upon.

For advanced, the group class is for stamina, some new things, to help out, to learn from other's mistakes, and so on...and the new levels of understanding come from private instruction. With a good foundation, a hour with a teacher one on one is an hour of learning instead of an hour of drill a bit and then 5 miutes of instruction.