Thread: Shaolin-do(JP) Sparring clips

Hybrid View

Boulderdawg,
    If you ever want to train at a school that competes, look here bjjboulder.com. It's a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu school, and it's not required that you do compete, but it's there if you want it. There are some groups that train mma there as well, but most of those guys have been involved in the sport for a while. If you're happy where you're at, disregard.
    MTV-Get Off The Air-Now

Boulderdawg,

What manual says that? I know there's the quote that "advises" students to seek tournament training elsewhere. That's not quite the same as a teacher saying, "no, you can't be a part of this school if you compete in outside tournaments."

From what I've seen, all SD teachers allow outside competition, it's just the students who don't seek it out.

Quote Originally Posted by ninthdrunk
    Boulderdawg,

What manual says that? I know there's the quote that "advises" students to seek tournament training elsewhere. That's not quite the same as a teacher saying, "no, you can't be a part of this school if you compete in outside tournaments."

From what I've seen, all SD teachers allow outside competition, it's just the students who don't seek it out.
    A few people compete occasionally. It is frowned upon in the West. If you do compete they want you to divorce yourself from the school. No names, uniforms, or shirts, that say Chinese Shao-Lin Center.

Nice Job JP.

More head movement, a steady target is an easier target to hit.
    Close your stance a bit it seems, (not seeing it in person) looks a little wide.
    I'll wait to see the other rounds. There are a couple things I would do different but, the first round is always the testing round.

Much easier to critique when I haven't experienced the rules.

That's kinda funny they don't let y'all compete. I guess that mentallity really adds to the fire of some around here. I can hear them now, "Why don't they want you to compete? What are they hiding?" That kinda crap.

JP - that makes sense. Five animals is definitely great for hand speed and combinations. That also makes sense why you were constantly moving in on him as you struck.

hehehe....if that knee were really from tiger crane, you would have killed him, man! should have jumped in there real good and let him have it with the knee...that would have been a tiger crane knee!

Wtf?!

"A few people compete occasionally. It is frowned upon in the West. If you do compete they want you to divorce yourself from the school. No names, uniforms, or shirts, that say Chinese Shao-Lin Center."

What a crock! This is staright up NOT what GM Sin has ever wanted. He wants everyone to know and respect SD. What is the purpose behind this narrow minded BS? Recently a MMA event was held in Louisville. A student under Senior Master Gary Mullins walked to the ring wearing his SD shirt, took it off and promptly dismantled his opponent using only the skills he learned in SD. The last time I heard GM Sin address a very large body of SD students, he spoke of making SD more known and respected everywhere. Why would any student of GM Sin go so blatantly against his wishes as the above quote shows they have? IMO that is a slap in GM Sin's face. The Shao-Lin Center "in the West" would not exist without GM Sin. Why would you want to perpetuate the assumptions made by so many about SD? Crossing hands with other MAs offers nothing but growth for both parties. What possible reason could any teacher have for discouraging the growth of their students? Win lose, or draw any time different arts cross hands it brings respect to both. To hide from such good things makes no sense. This closed minded, secretive crap is "frowned upon" here in the South.
    Last edited by BentMonk; 07-04-2006 at 10:17 AM.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

Quote Originally Posted by BentMonk
    Recently a MMA event was held in Louisville. A student under Senior Master Gary Mullins walked to the ring wearing his SD shirt, took it off and promptly dismantled his opponent using only the skills he learned in SD.
    That guy is a beast. Him and his brother both are excellent fighters. Do you know if anyone got that on video?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

It's On DVD

A friend who attended the event in person also purchased the DVD. I'll see if I can get you a copy. It's a great match and you are correct, that guy is a beast.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

"A few people compete occasionally. It is frowned upon in the West. If you do compete they want you to divorce yourself from the school. No names, uniforms, or shirts, that say Chinese Shao-Lin Center."

What a crock! This is staright up NOT what GM Sin has ever wanted. He wants everyone to know and respect SD. What is the purpose behind this narrow minded BS? Recently a MMA event was held in Louisville. A student under Senior Master Gary Mullins walked to the ring wearing his SD shirt, took it off and promptly dismantled his opponent using only the skills he learned in SD. The last time I heard GM Sin address a very large body of SD students, he spoke of making SD more known and respected everywhere. Why would any student of GM Sin go so blatantly against his wishes as the above quote shows they have? IMO that is a slap in GM Sin's face. The Shao-Lin Center "in the West" would not exist without GM Sin. Why would you want to perpetuate the assumptions made by so many about SD? Crossing hands with other MAs offers nothing but growth for both parties. What possible reason could any teacher have for discouraging the growth of their students? Win lose, or draw any time different arts cross hands it brings respect to both. To hide from such good things makes no sense. This closed minded, secretive crap is "frowned upon" here in the South.
    Take a deep breath. Some of us do not believe this in the slightest. Yet, when you get tied up in rank and respect what happens?

You tow the company line. I've seen the fight. If it is the one I'm thinking it is on you tube.

Quote Originally Posted by godzillakungfu
    Take a deep breath. Some of us do not believe this in the slightest. Yet, when you get tied up in rank and respect what happens?

You tow the company line. I've seen the fight. If it is the one I'm thinking it is on you tube.

I think that's a different guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Rant Mode Off

GKF- Yes that was a rant. It's good to know you don't subscribe to the "company line". I still have trouble understanding why some teachers in SD have that attitude when it is the exact opposite of what GM Sin wants. As I said I feel it's disrespectful to him. If these same teachers were as "tied up in rank and respect" as they expect their students to be, they would not blatantly disrespect their teacher. JMO

Now before this thread gets jacked...

JP you kicked major ass. As MK said that guy was showboating and being silly. Your heel to his face after the scissor sweep was great. You should have won, but as you said, "that's how it goes."
    Last edited by BentMonk; 07-04-2006 at 11:17 AM.

www.bentmonk.com

Smile exactly!!

hahahah

This is how I felt and still feel...I did a tournament back in '95 and caught alot of bullshido for it ....

and the funny thing is that my master at the time ( Brian Devor ) actually did not mind at all.....

..... in addition a few years later he let a small group of us go to san diego ( UCSD)(a Shaolin Do event )to learn the the GreanDragon Broadsword form and the White ape steals the peach ....... he and I (as well as anyone who went)got a bunch of bullshido about it.... mostly because the Soards and their group in Denver/Boulder did not get to see it first .....whhhhhaaaan whhhhhaaan whhhhaaaan ( **** politics).....they even gave GM Sin a bunch of bullshido for inviting us and teaching it to us( who's system is this anyways???)

Back in like '92 -'93 my first instructor use to invite other schools in for sparring as well as teach seminars ( judo master for down and ground) and Tae Kwon Do for punching and kicking class mostly kicking...)..it was fun and everyone got something out of it...what was even more fun was watching our blues and yellows mix it up with brown belts from these other styles and actually dominate... as well as our greens, browns mixing it up and dominating blackbelts ....Is this not how Shaolin of old did things??? Can this be bad for the schools???

....the mind set and the line of thinking in the west coast CSC's is just ass backwards...Hell anyone affiliated with CSC's can not even join SDA...what kind of bullshido is that??

You all know what causes this type of thinking and belief ....FEAR!! ...and why are they afraid?? because of the schools lack of a true functional philosophy and a lack of openmindedness to anything other than what they think and believe...

if you have your own Ideas and/or think for yourself you will get stripped of rank and will be kicked out of the system...

you will continue to hear me vent things like this from time to time..... hope you do not mind too much. I will keep it to a minimum......

Ha HA HA if you only knew the whole truth. Guess who was a memeber of the SDA??