Thread: Shaolin-do(JP) Sparring clips

Hybrid View

JP - It's hard to tell what moves you're using on the video. Any comments on particular applications from forms, or is this just Shaolin Do sparring ala Master Mullins' camp?

If there are some specific applications, would you point them out for us?

Nice hands, man.

Tai chi, huh?

constructive criticism.

look at your target. Hand follows eye.
    move in, pick your targets and go. there was to much clash and not enough taking advantage of position in that range.

train more fire and return drills to sharpen target aquisition and speed to target.
    footwork needs a lot of work.

move and sink move and sink, that is important, if you are too high and too close together in yoru step, you are unstable.

keep teh chin down.

spar more to level out on the flinching.

a lot of opportunities to cut power and move in that were not taken.

you can still have good form and dominate a fight even when it is light contact sparring.

a few boxing drills wouldn't hurt either of those guys.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Does your Shao-lin Do school advocate competition?

I know it is writen in my manual that if you are looking to compete then chose another school.

Boulderdawg,
    If you ever want to train at a school that competes, look here bjjboulder.com. It's a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu school, and it's not required that you do compete, but it's there if you want it. There are some groups that train mma there as well, but most of those guys have been involved in the sport for a while. If you're happy where you're at, disregard.
    MTV-Get Off The Air-Now

Boulderdawg,

What manual says that? I know there's the quote that "advises" students to seek tournament training elsewhere. That's not quite the same as a teacher saying, "no, you can't be a part of this school if you compete in outside tournaments."

From what I've seen, all SD teachers allow outside competition, it's just the students who don't seek it out.

Quote Originally Posted by ninthdrunk
    Boulderdawg,

What manual says that? I know there's the quote that "advises" students to seek tournament training elsewhere. That's not quite the same as a teacher saying, "no, you can't be a part of this school if you compete in outside tournaments."

From what I've seen, all SD teachers allow outside competition, it's just the students who don't seek it out.
    A few people compete occasionally. It is frowned upon in the West. If you do compete they want you to divorce yourself from the school. No names, uniforms, or shirts, that say Chinese Shao-Lin Center.

Nice Job JP.

More head movement, a steady target is an easier target to hit.
    Close your stance a bit it seems, (not seeing it in person) looks a little wide.
    I'll wait to see the other rounds. There are a couple things I would do different but, the first round is always the testing round.

Much easier to critique when I haven't experienced the rules.

That's kinda funny they don't let y'all compete. I guess that mentallity really adds to the fire of some around here. I can hear them now, "Why don't they want you to compete? What are they hiding?" That kinda crap.

JP - that makes sense. Five animals is definitely great for hand speed and combinations. That also makes sense why you were constantly moving in on him as you struck.

hehehe....if that knee were really from tiger crane, you would have killed him, man! should have jumped in there real good and let him have it with the knee...that would have been a tiger crane knee!