Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin-do(JP) Sparring clips

Haha, yeah liked the little kick you tried giving him after he took you down! Not sure if it was legal, but it showed some spirit

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen
    That guy looks like nothing but a point fighter. Stupid stance. Stupid show boat antics. I wish you would have pounded his **** into the dirt.

All I'm saying is that if I was interested in competition I would find a school that was geared towards that goal.

Doesn't that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    That guy looks like nothing but a point fighter. Stupid stance. Stupid show boat antics. I wish you would have pounded his **** into the dirt.
    Yeah, he fought like a TKD point fighter, but he said he was shaolin (you know how that goes). They stopped it everytime he went to the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I agree with Masterkiller, dude in the red pants should not have won.

At the black belt level, I feel that these competitions should involve more thought and strategy than physical one-ups-man-ship. It has been my experiance that my opponents and I are on fairly equally terms as far as skill and physical ability, so if we match those things, the win would go to whom ever was having the better day. I want a more convincing win than that, which is why I prefer all the bad calls to go against me. That way if I win I know it was because I was better rather than lucky. Now I am focusing not on speed, flexibility and strength, but maneuver, timing, and strategy. I mean to make my fighting look effortless.

Accordingly what I would have liked to have seen from you is more movement and finesse. You came in and stood toe to toe with ole’ tai chi guy. You did it well, but that won’t work in a fight with someone whose bigger, stronger, faster. What then, what’s plan B, run?

Way to follow red pants to the floor punching all the way. I don’t know about the other rounds but you made him look like a punk in that first one. Good job.

Looked like fun maybe I’ll make it to Oso’s next one. When is it?

Oh and your stance is classic point sparring, which may or may not of been appropriate for the venue depending on the rules. I would have gone with a more square stance my self.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

If they would have allowed striking on the ground, that guy would also have been hurtin'. I don't really see how you could have lost I mean, minus the leg scissor, you dominated that guy.

Lower back clinch+knee block. You would have made him cry. The one big thing I can say about that fight, is you brought it down a notch. Did you feel like you hit as hard as in the other match?
    Last edited by Ralphie; 07-03-2006 at 10:13 PM.
    MTV-Get Off The Air-Now

IMHO, JP came out on top from the leg scissors. The other guy didn't seem to even attempt a finishing move whereas JP was kicking him w/ his heel.

I know it's easier said than done, especially w/ somebody as slippery as this guy seemed to be but IMO the times you really had him was when you got off of his center line and moved in from a different angle. Did I just repeat what SanHeChuan wrote?

Looks good. Thanks for posting it.

*edit*

I seem to have also repeated what B-rad wrote as well. Now you see why I was a lurker for so long.

This was the first round out of three. I won this round. I think I should have won the second round (which I'll post later). I do think he won the third round. He changed his strategy somewhat and did incorporate more hands once I slipped past his leg. Now most of his handswere over-the-top smacking which were annoying (and with his loger fingernails hurt a little bit on the top of the head). Also he became aware that I would absorb and shed his side and round-house kicks, so he started incorpating more hook kicks. I tried to move insdie of them to take any power off of them (I never was squarely hit with one) but he did adapt to what I was trying to do to him.

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan
    Oh and your stance is classic point sparring, which may or may not of been appropriate for the venue depending on the rules. I would have gone with a more square stance my self.

SHC: My stance is mixed. I do fight with one side forward, but my front leg is pointed tworad the opponeent and my hips are open. For me it allows me to quickly open of close my hips and shift my weight (you can see this in the second fight as I'mclosing the door to his jabbing side and round-house kicks.) Trust me, I don't have the physicality to effectivley fight point-sparring style.

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan
    Accordingly what I would have liked to have seen from you is more movement and finesse. You came in and stood toe to toe with ole’ tai chi guy. You did it well, but that won’t work in a fight with someone whose bigger, stronger, faster. What then, what’s plan B, run?

As for my strategy, I feel that in most encounters that I'm an effective enough counter-puncher and kicker to quickly gain the advantage if we wern't dealing with rules and pads, but, to answer your point, if running ment surviving, then yes it is an effective an dintelligent strategy if the opportunity is there. If its a street encounter-then if I survive (relatviely un-harmed) then I've won.
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 07-04-2006 at 06:54 AM.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie
    If they would have allowed striking on the ground, that guy would also have been hurtin'. I don't really see how you could have lost I mean, minus the leg scissor, you dominated that guy.

Lower back clinch+knee block. You would have made him cry. The one big thing I can say about that fight, is you brought it down a notch. Did you feel like you hit as hard as in the other match?
    Quote Originally Posted by John Many Jars
    I know it's easier said than done, especially w/ somebody as slippery as this guy seemed to be but IMO the times you really had him was when you got off of his center line and moved in from a different angle. Did I just repeat what SanHeChuan wrote?
    I don't think that I brought it down a notch when I fought this guy. On the contrary, I think I fought a lot smarter. I watched this guy warm-up and he threw a 540 degree tornado kick where he still landed on his kicking leg. I watched him dismatle a very good mantis guy who was a physcially gifted fighter. I knew I didnt' want to give this guy and room to get his feet working. When I did hit him, I feel I hit him as hard as the rules allowed and that my techniques were clean. My strategy was to force him to try to go high which would allow me to move-off center on the slight angle and get inside his leg. It worked well. What was frusterating was the guy would either fall to the ground or dive out-of-bounds which limited any real combonations or follow-through. Everytime he did, the judge called a break. In a different venue I feel I would have owned this guy. For the rules in place, he fought a smart match that played to his strengths.

Tournament sparring, no matter what the rules are, is a game.
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 07-04-2006 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ninthdrunk
    Boulderdawg,

What manual says that? I know there's the quote that "advises" students to seek tournament training elsewhere. That's not quite the same as a teacher saying, "no, you can't be a part of this school if you compete in outside tournaments."

From what I've seen, all SD teachers allow outside competition, it's just the students who don't seek it out.
    A few people compete occasionally. It is frowned upon in the West. If you do compete they want you to divorce yourself from the school. No names, uniforms, or shirts, that say Chinese Shao-Lin Center.

Nice Job JP.

More head movement, a steady target is an easier target to hit.
    Close your stance a bit it seems, (not seeing it in person) looks a little wide.
    I'll wait to see the other rounds. There are a couple things I would do different but, the first round is always the testing round.

Much easier to critique when I haven't experienced the rules.

That's kinda funny they don't let y'all compete. I guess that mentallity really adds to the fire of some around here. I can hear them now, "Why don't they want you to compete? What are they hiding?" That kinda crap.

JP - that makes sense. Five animals is definitely great for hand speed and combinations. That also makes sense why you were constantly moving in on him as you struck.

hehehe....if that knee were really from tiger crane, you would have killed him, man! should have jumped in there real good and let him have it with the knee...that would have been a tiger crane knee!

Wtf?!

"A few people compete occasionally. It is frowned upon in the West. If you do compete they want you to divorce yourself from the school. No names, uniforms, or shirts, that say Chinese Shao-Lin Center."

What a crock! This is staright up NOT what GM Sin has ever wanted. He wants everyone to know and respect SD. What is the purpose behind this narrow minded BS? Recently a MMA event was held in Louisville. A student under Senior Master Gary Mullins walked to the ring wearing his SD shirt, took it off and promptly dismantled his opponent using only the skills he learned in SD. The last time I heard GM Sin address a very large body of SD students, he spoke of making SD more known and respected everywhere. Why would any student of GM Sin go so blatantly against his wishes as the above quote shows they have? IMO that is a slap in GM Sin's face. The Shao-Lin Center "in the West" would not exist without GM Sin. Why would you want to perpetuate the assumptions made by so many about SD? Crossing hands with other MAs offers nothing but growth for both parties. What possible reason could any teacher have for discouraging the growth of their students? Win lose, or draw any time different arts cross hands it brings respect to both. To hide from such good things makes no sense. This closed minded, secretive crap is "frowned upon" here in the South.
    Last edited by BentMonk; 07-04-2006 at 10:17 AM.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

Quote Originally Posted by BentMonk
    Recently a MMA event was held in Louisville. A student under Senior Master Gary Mullins walked to the ring wearing his SD shirt, took it off and promptly dismantled his opponent using only the skills he learned in SD.
    That guy is a beast. Him and his brother both are excellent fighters. Do you know if anyone got that on video?

It's On DVD

A friend who attended the event in person also purchased the DVD. I'll see if I can get you a copy. It's a great match and you are correct, that guy is a beast.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

Quote Originally Posted by BentMonk
    "A few people compete occasionally. It is frowned upon in the West. If you do compete they want you to divorce yourself from the school. No names, uniforms, or shirts, that say Chinese Shao-Lin Center."

What a crock! This is staright up NOT what GM Sin has ever wanted. He wants everyone to know and respect SD. What is the purpose behind this narrow minded BS? Recently a MMA event was held in Louisville. A student under Senior Master Gary Mullins walked to the ring wearing his SD shirt, took it off and promptly dismantled his opponent using only the skills he learned in SD. The last time I heard GM Sin address a very large body of SD students, he spoke of making SD more known and respected everywhere. Why would any student of GM Sin go so blatantly against his wishes as the above quote shows they have? IMO that is a slap in GM Sin's face. The Shao-Lin Center "in the West" would not exist without GM Sin. Why would you want to perpetuate the assumptions made by so many about SD? Crossing hands with other MAs offers nothing but growth for both parties. What possible reason could any teacher have for discouraging the growth of their students? Win lose, or draw any time different arts cross hands it brings respect to both. To hide from such good things makes no sense. This closed minded, secretive crap is "frowned upon" here in the South.
    Take a deep breath. Some of us do not believe this in the slightest. Yet, when you get tied up in rank and respect what happens?

You tow the company line. I've seen the fight. If it is the one I'm thinking it is on you tube.