Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Regarding fujow's video post

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    yeah, yeah, cool. I get it. WHAT ABOUT CHENG MAN-CHING????!!!

married twice? Look, Mike, I understand sometimes things get bad, life is hard, and you are probably under a great deal of pressure.-but there are much better ways to kill yourself. What kind of guilt are you carrying around that you feel you deserve a such slow, agonizing death?

Blog Entries
    lama,

it was just a joke. How do i know about your sex life to be talking about it.

clfnole realized I was fooling with you.

But it's obviously somethings bothering you to attack me when i was just joking with you hence the......

Nah, i won't pull some gangster sheet on you. don't worry buddy.

what ever you're going thru will turn out ok.

hope you realize one day it was just a joke, but we'll see what kind of man you are.

peace.

Blog Entries
    wow, I just re-read his post towards me.

does anyone else agree that he's got a bug up his arse about something?

you know what, the day you called i got the dvd a day before. I emailed you a thank you and sent you a pm as well.

you call me a class act with your background???????

Look this is the forum, and I'm not the one with the rep of jacking people, here.

you are a pure business man, that's fine. but what evers bothering you, it wasn't my fault.

and, again, don't worry .....no gangsters here buddy. oops sorry, i mean friend....no.......well,........you know.

used to be in the yookay, but now in my own little world.
    chasincharpchui

I wasn’t referring to dragging the leg in, I was referring to the various positions of lok qwaai ma stance

I'm not bashing Bak Sing just making a point that there is variation in all lineages, The School I saw was about 20-23 years ago in London’s china town It was just one of the things I remembered that’s all, I’ve seen Bak sing schools that don’t do it, just pointing out that all branches have variation.
    Last edited by Mano Mano; 07-08-2006 at 01:04 AM.

Lama Pai Sifu
    I understand your point and agree with what you're saying. But there's still the argument from their perspective that it's correct within their line.

I recall reading an article on an older Southern Crane Master who's feet were deformed due to the constant practice of his style's stances. The stances were correct for the style but not from a heatlh standpoint.

Makiwara training to toughen the knuckles is correct within the context of Karate but it damages the hand in the long run. Not 'correct' from a health perspective. Apparently the sacrifice is worth it to some. Chinese Iron Palm training provides the same results without the damage.

So it can be right and wrong at the same time. It's wrong from my POV because of the strain on the knee plus it's a target. Anytime your leg is extended it's a liability.

The human body can adapt so almost anything can be made to work. Some ways just work better than others.

I'm curious as to wether it's done that way consistantly throughout the sets (within this lineage) or is it sometimes done on the ball of the foot?

Just as an improperly executed straight punch can cause personal injury so can an improperly executed stance.

Maybe there is a good reason for doing it 'wrong' as CLFNole is saying.

Oh, and the 'correct' way to address this is to say 'here's a better way, and explain why' rather than say 'YOU ARE WRONG, I AM RIGHT'. As you may have noticed your way is more confrontational.

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu
    It's not just the drag of the leg..that's not what we are talking about. There are times to drag the foot and times not to. It's what part of the foot is making contact, that's what I think we are discussing.
    yeh it does look painful to do that stance haha, i mean aint the knee and ankle get bent kinda wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole
    It is not a matter of walking on the arch. I'll try and describe it to you as best as I can. In the first example I gave about blocking the kick and shooting in with loq kwai ma lau jeurng to the groin. The initial push is from the back (right) leg from the ball of the foot. As the body moves forward (left foot in front) the right leg will slide in behind and rest on the inside arch of the foot. From there it is quick and easy to get up and move into another stance.

wouldnt it be even more quickier and easier if ur rear foot was already on its ball/toes to move into another stance, instead of inside arch-->ball of foot->into another stance?

I've enjoyed posting about this, but I can't think of anything else to say about it!

Why do people think that I have a lot of pressures in my life, or that I have an axe to grind here?

I am just expressing my opinions about an issue. I am a strong person and have strong opinions.

It's funny how people, who no nothing about me personally or what goes on in my life, attempt to detract from the issues by commenting on it.

I think that this aguement is getting down to semantics. Can a line or specific lineage do a technique, where as they have misinturpreted an application, and thereby have changed the technique? Is this possible? Of course it is

Now you can argue that; 'this is correct for their line', but does that make it truly correct? Is it being done with the application in mind? Is the technique being done safely for the practitioner? Will long term injury result? Is it not practical in a self defense or real fighting situation? Doesn't any technique have right or wrong? Surely, techniques have parameters, no? Boundries of acceptability, variations....but where do you draw the line? When is a technique past the point of variations, and is just flat out wrong~?

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Isn't there a higher standard for a movement than just the idea that every or any school can do anything they want, and then just explain it away by saying;

'this is how we do it, and therefore, no one can outside our line can judge it or correct it.' Do you see what I'm saying here?

Why do many of you here, seem opposed to the idea that a technique can be wrong? And although you may be opposed to the idea, it doesn't make it untrue. Techniques....they can be wrong.

And please, don't bring up the mumbo-jumbo about 'having an open mind' an how 'KF is evolving.' That is not the issue. I agree with all of you on that point. And having a strong belief, even a rock solid one, does not proclude one from having an open mind.

I have a very open mind. And I also have a very scientific mind as well.

My 'open mind' allows me to see things differently from day to day and to recognize that there is more than one way to do many things (many, being the operative word here, not ALL).

My 'scientific mind' tells me that there is a finite number of variations for any movement, and there are specific and scientific parameters for each move. The variations allow for size, shape, speed and power of the practictioner. But I do not confuse those variations, with changes of technique which breach the threashold of that technique's scientific boundries.

"I needn't be open to the idea that sun may not rise tomorrow, when I know that it surely will."

If any of you have trouble understand this at this point, I have no wish to try to explain it any further. Not being jerky, I feel I've made my point. Those who agree, cool. Those who do not agree, cool as well.

Why do people think that I have a lot of pressures in my life, or that I have an axe to grind here?
    The marked decline in your interpersonal skills
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Blog Entries
    his interpersonal skills haven't declined. they've reverted back to his old ways.

although I've said i was just joking, this wise arse still doesn't acknowledge the fact that he has been pretty rough around the edges lately.

this arse hole owes me an apology, but i know he's not man enough to give it.

as he said, he know surely that the sun will rise tomorrow.

bridges burned.

Blog Entries
    "Why do many of you here, seem opposed to the idea that a technique can be wrong? And although you may be opposed to the idea, it doesn't make it untrue. Techniques....they can be wrong."--lama

Because if the technique works, then who are you to say they are doing it wrong?

Who's to say that your way is right?

with such select variations, a practicioner has many theories to choose from.

regardless, you are coming down on those who have nothing to do with your school or methods. You can only express your opinion about the techniques. IF you truly think they are wrong, then be a man and personally show someone where they are doing it wrong.

But if not, then it's only your opinion. and just like arseholes, we all got em.

Blog Entries
    hey ben,

how's your cheung kuen going?

see. thias topic was cool after all. so much info.
    anways, ill be in florida from the 12th of august. I'll briefly be in NY on that day, but apperently not long enough to leave the airport. would be nice to meet as many people.

I got a vitamin B12 injections last week (to cope with extreme climate change), and seems that the piercing got infected. my bum is swollen and I feel like crap.
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Not so good, I slipped on a wet floor and tweaked my rotator cuff quite badly Kinda hampers your Poon Kius and Tsop Chuis
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear that ben.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

You know I thought it was funny that you said you are still breaking up cheung kuen because me and my classmates are still doing the same thing. There is so many good things in that set, and in our school is one of the core sets we tell people to keep if they quit.

In any of your other CLF sets, do you have the same type of double kwa choy's as in cheung kuen?

And the break in Cheung Kuen after the circle chop, do you use it as a break, or have you tried it like we use it as sort of like a pek choy but with the forearm chopping downwards. like a reverse biu jong.

hsk

"And it doesn't translate exactly to "kneeling stance" having no difinitive description. It describes the action of 'turning over' the leg/thigh, WHICH IS WHERE THE POWER GENERATION COMES IN.

Chinese terminology is useful when learned properly. It usually describes an 'action' rather than a visual shape (like karate and TKD). I understand that not everyone speaks Cantonese, but you can look proper definitions on the web."

I was curious as to how exactly loq kwai ma describes the action of "turning over" the leg/thigh.

Loq means to go down or lower
    Kwai means to kneel

So roughly it means "to go down and kneel" hence kneeling horse stance. Where exactly is the turning over part coming from? I have 3 people born and raised in Hong Kong who can't figure out what you are saying.
    Last edited by CLFNole; 07-08-2006 at 06:53 PM.