Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Depressing Demo......

Depressing Demo......

I'm not sure if this clip is funny or just embarrassing.

Maybe boards do hit back.
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix
    I'm not sure if this clip is funny or just embarrassing.
    Pick one!

He's an WT advanced technician and a direct student from Leung Ting. ...puch completely pulled back before his "action" and he even manages to loose his balance and push himself backwards.

Probably those two students did not keep the board up in the right manner,
    A clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease (Sun Tzu, Art of war)

www.wslvt.com
    www.vingtsunkungfu.nl / www.vt4um.eu

Cool dodgy demo

this vid is indicitive of most WT demos, empty, shallow and not referencing fighting at all!
    supreme ultimate wally.

But I do like Vic Guitterez check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezwbs...ch=wing%20tsun

The Goose!!

p.s. I also like Alan Orr's clips

Last time this clip was shown the mods pulled the thread. I wonder how far in the leung ting pocket they are. Will it be pulled again?

Again more evidence from one of Leung Tings top instructors of my assertion that LTWT is garbage when compared to other wing chun families. However to paraphrase what i said on the pulled thread.

This clip proves there is value in LTWT. Anything that can make you laugh this hard has a great future on the Comedy Channel.

And mods if I offend you then just pull my post and not the whole thread again.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt1
    Last time this clip was shown the mods pulled the thread. I wonder how far in the leung ting pocket they are. Will it be pulled again?

Again more evidence from one of Leung Tings top instructors of my assertion that LTWT is garbage when compared to other wing chun families. However to paraphrase what i said on the pulled thread.

This clip proves there is value in LTWT. Anything that can make you laugh this hard has a great future on the Comedy Channel.

And mods if I offend you then just pull my post and not the whole thread again.
    Hello Hunt1,

Everyone is free to express thier own opinion. However, it is unfair to simply attack others because you do not believe in their approach or theory. I am sure that every lineage has plenty of examples one can point to showing that approach is "garbage". There are far fewer examples of those proving the superiority of many views.

Also, Emin came for the WT lineage and seems to have been able to make this "garbage" work for him. (Before you get started I have met Emin and I personally do not like him for personal reasons, but still have to respect his skill). But this goes to show one of my other views, that no matter what lineage one follows there are and always will be some who can make that approach work for them.

Feel free to discuss the merits, or lack of, for this approach or demo. However, please refrain from simply making attacks for the sake of doing so.

If people simply continue to post that this is garbage etc then the thread will be moderated, just as it would be if the target were another family.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Quote Originally Posted by hunt1
    That's a bit small-minded! Laughter can cure many sicknesses too btw.

Mind you, I think this clip just made the Baby Jesus cry.

Hunt, wasn't it you who was looking for chun in Tokyo? If you still want to find some drop me a line, we always need new training partners to beat on. Er, share with.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

I would say it's embarrassing. Why didn't he check the equipment before he performed?

By the way, Timmy Lee had already left LTWT.

Sihing73

You bring up some interesting points. That fact that an Emin can make the system work doesnt mean the system is good. Many good athletes can make improper mechanics or methods work very well it doesnt make them right or worthy of passing on. For example Lee Trevino was one of the best golfers of his era yet he had a large loop in his swing. This is one of the worst habbits you can have in golf. He was able somehow to make it work for him. No professional would ever teach someone to loop the swing they always work to get it out.
    . I have never seen Emin in person. I am sure he is a fine fighter. However even in his vids the lack of lower body and hip usage is clear. The reliance on fast hands and demos with cooperative flippy flappy chi sao partners is clear.

Wing chun is dependent on the proper lower body mechanics to be effective. To many rely on just the upper body. It is no wonder wing chun is the laughing stock of the bullshido boards and most MMa types.
    While garbage is over the top it does make a clear point and imo to many in wing chun have turned a blind eye to incomplete wing chun sold to the public as some type of great martial art. Look around and you will find large numbers of former wing chun players that felt ripped off after they tried their wc against resisting people . I believe that we should call a spade a spade and can the false politeness. We all know that in the training halls across the land folks from every wing chun family tell their students theirs is the best and everyone elses is second rate. I am merely putting a point on the discussion.
    Last edited by hunt1; 07-05-2006 at 01:37 PM.

What is your focus

Hello Hunt1,

As I have often said before, none of us has a monopoly on the truth. Each of us will tend to lean towards our own approach as we would not be training that method if we did not believe in it. Still, what we find works for us will not always work for others no matter how well designed it is.

Consider how many of us learn to drive a car. We spend time perfecting our driving skills in all types of weather and road conditions. Now put two people with the exact same training and experience behind the wheel of a formula one race car. It is doubtful that they will both perform the same. My point is that irregardless of the training, an awful lot will depend on the individual and their ability to make that particular approach their own.

Going to your example of golf, think of how many superior atheletes actually broke the rules and performed outside of the accepted boundaries of their own "sport". Many of the best were non conformists who excelled in spite of their "poor" or "garbage" training. Bruce Lee had several physical impairments and excelled in spite of them, due in large part to his superior drive. Consider also, Jim Thorpe who went on to become one of the most famous and accomplished athletes of his time and tell me why he excelled, certainly not because of his finding and training with a superior approach to training. He actually ignored the training advice of his day and age.

There is no cookie cutter mold to pour students in which will produce superb Wing Chunners, if there were then that particular school would have proven their superiority and doubtless the majority of the rest of us would be beating a path to their doors.

As to being the laughing stock of the MMA and Bushido boards, this concerns me little. I am sure you could find just as many who laugh at them as laugh at us.

Consider whether an art which demands above average skill and superior conditioning is a realistic endeavor for the AVERAGE person. In my mind while superior conditioning is certainly a desirible asset it is not a realisitc goal for most of those living in the real world. Besides, I doubt that you could point out anyone at the top of that game who represents one style, lineage or approach to fighting. Not saying there is anything wrong with cross-training but it seems a bit sily to advocate the superiority of one method while still stepping outside of the that approach to "round out ones game". Perhaps this would be an example of simply refining ones "garbage" to make it more palatable.

One of the things which attracted me to Wing Chun was its adaptability to the AVERAGE person. One does not need to be a superman\woman to make the art effective. One also does not need to be locked into one narrow approach to make the art effective. Why is it that writers all using the same 26 letters can deviate between leterary greats and failures? Also why is it that one mans failure may be anothers inspiration?

As they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder and one mans garbage may be another mans treasure. Perhaps the man able to draw out the treasure is the truely exceptional practicianer.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Quote Originally Posted by TomasWTUK
    Pick one!
    I think I'll take embarrassing.
    I don't really care to laugh at other's misfortunes.

Why not both.....

I think its funny AND Embarrasing..... Why

Lets just say apart from poor technique he had fate against him, the wood was harder than normal whatever, if i hit the thing a few times with a punch with those results, i would have given another action like an elbow just to save SOME face. Poor guy

Quote Originally Posted by Gooseman
    this vid is indicitive of most WT demos, empty, shallow and not referencing fighting at all!
    supreme ultimate wally.

But I do like Vic Guitterez check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezwbs...ch=wing%20tsun
    The Goose!!
    p.s. I also like Alan Orr's clips
    Im not a fan of this vid either. "Alan orr is another thing altogether, hes good"
    Why is it in WT and lots of VT for that matter, people constantly get caged in with regard to chain punching ?

If you start hitting someone in the head and they cover there head with hands find the empty space....the body...
    But no ! all to often people just keep punching the head space.

To me it shows a lack of Fight Awareness. But boxers get it from day one

Come on VT peeps....
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

Now this one is funny, but not in a good way.

Also, Emin came for the WT lineage and seems to have been able to make this "garbage" work for him.
    Does anyone have any actual evidence of this? Actual fight footage, competition footage, seen him do a challenge match against someone skilled, or having sparred full contact with him?

The only things I've ever seen of him have been the infamous "jumping on W. Cheung" fight and demos with complying partners.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 07-05-2006 at 07:39 PM.

Garbage to gold - rags to riches

If you can make something..... anything from the link below then you deserve SOME credit.

Complying opponenets SHOULD make you look skilled but even here he looks sloppy at best.

A fighter ? you decide ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y87Q7...h=leung%20ting
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98