Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clf players Question

We have lie ma and che kuen which are just slang names from ng lun ma and ng lun choy.

As far as poon kiu goes it is an inward parrying block. The motion you are referring, which is a double arm motion we call sheung poon kiu but in actuality the correct name would be daht jeurng, cum jeurng. The daht jeurng is similar I believe to what you called tan sow.

I can't remember if this emerged in the US as we were learning chinese on the fly and the name took. I'll have to check how they referred to it in Hong Kong to see if we screwed this up or it was just a general term used for this series of movements.

Peace.
    Last edited by CLFNole; 07-09-2006 at 08:06 PM.

I must agree that less is more

I am a Bak Hsing Kwoon student. And I agree with several comments made. I firmly believe that the more proficient you are at a solid repitoir of techniques the better off you are. In our Bak Hsing ciriculum there are three patterns that are pre-balck sash. a foundation and two intermediate fighting forms that are progressive and teach two styles and skill sets. Then past black sash Sifu teaches the three original first generation forms coming from Tam Sam, first Sup Jee (and after this has been passed Di Sup Jee or big frame which has about 40 extra movements) Then Kow Da and Ping Kune.

We also teach 4 progressive northern forms pre-black sash and one advanced pattern. And then a variety of mostly heavily northern influneced weapon sets, but for the most part the kids learn the most when it comes to volume, most adults pick one (or in some cases a few) and specialize.

But even these take years and years to perfect and execute with the correct speed, power and balance. then comes breath control, eye spirit and presence.

The real emphasis in our style is Gung and fighting. Tam Sam did not know a lot of techniques(compared to a hundred forms i mean) he had three patterns and a staff form. In fact he was a master of his unique footwork, the running horse, the Leen Wan Chop Choi (cyclical and returning panther fist) and a gwa-sow (with a little tiger claw mixed in for good measure) and was one of the five southern Shaolin tigers. Dave Lacey said once, "it is not the length of you knowledge but the depth."

not tht i don't love patterns becasue i do, i am always excited and eger when i get to learn a new weapon or hand set, but that does not happen very often. I definately agree, with Sifu Joe when he said the longer you train basics the simpler picking up new forms becomes. Sifu made me train Sui Lum 6 (northern foundation form) for almost 3 years. Every time i would ask to learn something new he would say, "no but we can correct sui lum 6) but then when he taught me sui lum 8 we got through the whole form in about 20 minutes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole
    We have lie ma and che kuen which are just slang names from ng lun ma and ng lun choy.

As far as poon kiu goes it is an inward parrying block. The motion you are referring, which is a double arm motion we call sheung poon kiu but in actuality the correct name would be daht jeurng, cum jeurng. The daht jeurng is similar I believe to what you called tan sow.

I can't remember if this emerged in the US as we were learning chinese on the fly and the name took. I'll have to check how they referred to it in Hong Kong to see if we screwed this up or it was just a general term used for this series of movements.

Peace.
    I think the seung puhn kiuh name came from the motion of the hand not doing the daht jeung and kam jeung. It looks like the "second half" of the puhn kiuh circle.

For the record Mak Sifu calls it Puhn Kiuh also.

hey guys i'm wondering if you guys can help me with my [gwai mahs/lau mahs)] aka twisting horse.......i have a difficult time maintaining my balance when i do a gwa cup into lau ma, what methods/steps have u taken to improve your balance?
    or am i just suck?

If I understand correctly the twisting stance is very transitional stance. Therefore, staying in that stance for a "long" time is not usefull...? Use the momentum of the twist/rotation and focus on the following step/stance. Rotating your hips to from one extreme to the other might also be helpful.

These are just my 2 cents....I´m sure these tips are quite obvious...

-j-

In our lineage we typically do gwa/cup in a gong ma (bow stance) rather than a lau ma (twist stance). We will however do gwa/cum in a twist stance which is quite easy to maintain balance because the gwa and twist are happening at the same time with the cum and final sink into the stance happening at the same time.

I played around with what you were talking about and had no trouble with the stance. I think the key might be to not over-extend with the cup choy and to sink the with the front leg while coming to the toe on the back leg all at the same time. The sinking of the cup together with the sinking of the lau ma.

Hope this helps.

Satori

Interesting posting....

From what u write here U learned mostly the Bak Sil lum first ....The Clf is keep for advanced....

Are U from GM LAi Hung/lineage?

Steeve