Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: training so hard you get sick

training so hard you get sick

Just wondered if people think its better to stop if you push yourself hard and feel sick, or if you should carry on and be pushed harder even if you throw up.

With the military training i did you couldn't stop and say i need to get my breath but most MA schools I have known will make sure you stop and rest.

Your thoughts?

I would say if you're dizzy, that would tend to be a bad thing.
    If you're just nauseous from over-exertion, that can sometimes be a good thing, tho I'm not sure you necessarily wanna do that every time out.
    I've heard of wrestling gyms where they set out trash cans specifically for people to puke in.
    I've thrown up quite a few times workin out.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

bucket

My Shibo recently visited and asked if I had a bucket in my school. If you train hard enough something is bound to come up.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    where do you think the term 'to eat bitter' comes from?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

So there doesn't seem to be a problem with it then!

Would it be best to stop after or just freshen up and carry on?

We freshen up by taking a break to drink tea and talk to Shifu.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Depends on how i'm feeling. If I'm overheating or dizzy, I'll definitely take it easy. Otherwise I'll usually just rinse my mouth out in the sink in the bathroom and jump right back in there.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

Had it happen to me and seen a million guys do it at our school. From what I've seen, most of the time after throwing up, people get a lot less out of the lesson. Great for showing dedication, and little else. Usually the guys in the best shape in the group and getting the most out of the lesson AREN'T throwing up.

Mind you, everyone's eaten a little too close to lesson time, which will mess up the best for a day, but it shouldn't be a goal.

Smile yes

to a certain degree in training this is neccesary to purge the body of toxins and to elevate your body to a higher level of performance...if you are getting dizzy then that means that you are not getting enough air in the lungs and the elements that make up the air are not being absorbed into the blood stream to create the bio-chemical reactions that support bodily functions...if this is happenening on a frequent basis when doing a balistic workout ... slow down..and if it persists then go see a doctor..these types of reactions are a sign of an imbalance and most likely has to do with nutrition and your life style....

No, you should NEVR push that hard. if you are, you are over training and slowing your own progress.

The miliary is different, they are going for the excessive mental toughness ASAP, especially if there is a war on.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon
    The miliary is different, they are going for the excessive mental toughness ASAP, especially if there is a war on.

Exactly. It does nothing for physical training.

A lot of military training is meant more to separate who will do whatever they are told and who won't. You have to be able to rely on the guy next to you to go the extra mile if you are doing the same.

Cool uuhh

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows
    Exactly. It does nothing for physical training.

A lot of military training is meant more to separate who will do whatever they are told and who won't. You have to be able to rely on the guy next to you to go the extra mile if you are doing the same.
    This is wrong...it does plenty for your physical and psycholigical training ...I was an e.m.t/ paramedic... I was in the military ...I am a personal trainer/ martial arts instructor with 25 years experience ...I have extensive medical knowledge... and I am currently getting my masters degree in oriental medicine....( just to give you an idea of who is posting)....yeah a great deal of the training is geared towards weening out the less than desirable and to put the elite in optimal position for startegic advantage...but it is also to push the limits of the human mind ,body ,and spirit to achieve a higher goal ...and to do whatever it takes to get the job done...think about the term martial arts..what does martial mean ??? military... ..if you want to dance and do aerobics... join a tae bo class.... but if you want to be martial artist then you must train like a martial artist get in there bleed , puke, sweat, ache, and all that .....but not to the point were you get perminently injured or extensively sick...

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk
    This is wrong...it does plenty for your physical and psycholigical training ...I was an e.m.t/ paramedic... I was in the military ...I am a personal trainer/ martial arts instructor with 25 years experience ...I have extensive medical knowledge... and I am currently getting my masters degree in oriental medicine....( just to give you an idea of who is posting)....yeah a great deal of the training is geared towards weening out the less than desirable and to put the elite in optimal position for startegic advantage...but it is also to push the limits of the human mind ,body ,and spirit to achieve a higher goal ...and to do whatever it takes to get the job done...think about the term martial arts..what does martial mean ??? military... ..if you want to dance and do aerobics... join a tae bo class.... but if you want to be martial artist then you must train like a martial artist get in there bleed , puke, sweat, ache, and all that .....but not to the point were you get perminently injured or extensively sick...
    My post is written as someone whose teacher looooved it when people pushed themselves to puking, and as someone who has done the puking plenty of times. If you puke, the next hour of your training will not be at the same level of intensity as if you were strong enough not to puke. It's a wasted hour, imo.

Discipline is great, but once you have it, you don't have to train until vomitting into your nineties to keep it. You eventually know that you're tough, and you use that toughness. Once you know you have it, you use intensity for building up your muscles, not puking, or building up your cardio, not puking, fighting, not puking, etc.

Get tough, then get smart.

You read my post as if I stated that all military training was meant to indoctrinate/prove willingness to follow orders. I said a lot of it was, and it is: to an army, the number one factor is if you will do what you're told when you're told to the best of your ability to do it. Helping you in life is in there, but it's not the number one factor for the people who run the show, nor should it be. I stated that a lot of military training is geared to getting people able to push through when they are told to at all costs, and I stand by that. I do not deny that there are other elements at play, but they are secondary to this, and not particular to military training. Work seventeen hour shifts in a meat freezer to pay for your kid's braces and you'll learn the same thing if you're paying attention.

Finally, as an emt, what is your argument for puking being healthy?

My position:

Knowing that you can push through just about anything=good

Trying to prove it over and over again in an unhealthy way, which I see puking as being=bad

That's all I'm saying. I don't see guys puking in their training except when they're young bucks. There's probably a good reason for that. Everyone at the school I went to puked at some point, but I still say if you are working out three hours and puke two hours in, that last hour cannot be at the same intensity level as it would be if you hadn't puked.

I suspect that, given your years of experience, you do not puke often now, correct? I strongly suspect that we are just arguing two sides of the same position, which is that a good fighter should be strong enough to overcome limitations, but smart enough not to lose the fight for himself. I'm not saying if someone pukes, they're fools, anymore than the rest of us are fools.

I'm saying if someone has the grit to work out until they puke, puking does them no good whatsoever. They've already got the point. Work hard.

I personally haven't noticed the "If you puke, the next hour of your training will not be at the same level of intensity as if you were strong enough not to puke." thing in my own experience.

But I've also thrown up multiple times at the same training session.

It's definitely not a sign of being in shape though and probably not something i would regularly push for if i was in shape; more of something that happened coz I wasn't in shape.

When you do a lot of full body high intensity interval training with weights in hot weather, it's probably going to happen at least once- especially if you're used to expecting a certain level of performance output from your body.