Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions

Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter View Post
    I am doing some reserach right now and have a few questions. I would like your opinions and all opinions are welcome. Thank you in advance.

1. What is the wing chun paradigm (belief) of fighting? How do you think this paradigm was historically created in context of its chinese physical culture and actual environment in past and today? I have read and heard the myth of wing chun origin, but if anyone can offer a more realistic and rational theory to explain wing chun's model, I would really apprenicate it.

2. What is the wing chun strategy (the general goal or plan) in fighting?

3. What tactics (what method) are used in wing chun to accomplish their strategy?

4. What are the techniques use to accomplish both the strategy and tactics?

Once again, thank you for your opinions and insights.
    Meklorian has really covered much of your questions. WC is easily misunderstood because of it's utter simplicity and directness. People often over complicate the techniques and theories.

1. Simplicity
    Directness
    Economoy of movement
    Minimal use of brute force
    and Practicality
    are all the basic concepts of WC.
    Foreward force.
    and Simultaneous defense and attack are cruitial to overcoming an attacker quickly.

2. I agree with the "no stratagy" ideal stated earlier. do not anticipate the engagement (bruce lee). You train to adapt and flow with the opponent, not play their game.
    We do not try to bridge the gap or bait an opponent to come into a closer range. They do this themselves by simply attacking and therefore commiting their mass and weight by their very movement while striking, kicking, or trying to grapple.
    Keeping YOUR centerline covered and in control, is one of the main keys to defending oneself in WC. Attacking down your own centerline as well gives speed, power, and ultimate directness to striking.

3. Again tacticks used are centerline, relaxation, flow, adaptation, speed, and the five concepts expressed earlier. Foreward pressure/force is extrememly important! Foreward force allows you to overcome a stronger opponent and take their space away for retaliation.

4. Specific techniques use to acomplish these things are understanding, and mastering of simple basics. WC doesn't just keep adding more and more technique so much as perfecting the few basics. Tan Sau, pak sau, chit sau, dai sai, bong sau, gong sau, and jum sau for hand techniques. These are all used simultaneously with striking, kicking, and they flow one into the other. Constantly relaxed, and moving with the opponent.
    The legs or kicking techniques cover the leg attacks of the opponent. If they kick, you check or kick while moving foreward punching and such.

Chi Sau, and leg sensitivity drilling helps to train muscle memory in the practitioner so they can react without thought or intention.

Quote Originally Posted by Meklorien View Post
    Utter drivel.
    W

as in...whatever!
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford