Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about crescent kicks

Question about crescent kicks

If I am crescent kicking with the right leg in a clockwise direction, is this considered a crescent or reverse crescent. I have called it crescent for years and I rarely kick it counter-clock. But is the counter clock really the crescent kick and what I am doing a reverse crescent?

Bearing in mind that the following comes from someone who does many MA, none of which have crescent kicks in...

but it's based on what I was taught from a relatively reliable source who did some kind of shaolin derivative.

Whether it's clockwise or anti-clockwise and what it's called will differ depending with which leg you do it! If you kick inside-out as it were, so the blade of your foot is leading I was told that's a crescent kick. If you do it outside-in with the inside of your foot leading it's a wheel kick.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

inside out is reverse cresent, outside in is a forward cresent kick.

wheel kick is usually refering to a spinning kick where leg is extended through out the motion some refer to it as a spinning heel kick.

hope tis helped
    Everybody has a plan, Til they get hit.

Crescent

Bye Lin Tui = Crescent Kick
    Ngoi Bye Lin Tui = Outside Crescnt Kick
    Loi Bye Lin Tui = Inside Crescent kick
    Kune Belay Sau

swing from the hip, inside or outside they are both crescent kicks. whatever they are called in specific styles or genres still metes out as same technique.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I've always heard the terms "inside" and "outside"

but forward and reverse would be just as descriptive.

just "crescent" could be either.
    Words!

Just words!

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    i've always used 'inside' and 'outside' as well.

K. Brazier refers to the inside crescent as "Face Hanging Kick"...I like the analogy.

another teacher referred to the inside crescent as "Opposite Top" ??? never quite got why.

I like to enter with a mid level inside crescent to clear/occupy the arms while I punch at the head.

watch out because you basically feed your opponent a single leg.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Do you guys train to hit with the foot or the shin?

from the ankle to 1/3 or 1/2 the way up the shin...too close to the knee=no power

if you hit with the tarsal area, you are looking to tweak the ankle.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

I do not use these kicks, for the reason Matt said... sort of feeding the guy your leg. I keep my kicks simple, kick to the stones and low round house to legs. Just watched the movie "Honor of the Beast" with Tony Jaa. He has some nasty defends to these crescent kicks all thru this movie.

Anybody got the Mandarin names to these kicks?

Yea face hanging kick is cool.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

you have to come in like a train caught in a tornado to be succesfull

but, still, yea...most competant fighters will step inside the arc and dump you quick if you didn't stun them first.

face it, most fancy kicks are for showboating against a less skilled opponent.

although, I've seen more spin side kicks lately in the UFC.

Spin side kicks don't necessarliy leave you in a vulnerable position if you throw them right. As for the crescent kicks, I've also heard them referred to a "neck sweeps" I like that description as well.

However, I really don't use the kicks when sparring either. Pity, because these are one of the few kicks I can do half-way decently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Inside and Outside Crescent kicks. That's how I've always learned them.

There's a time, place and use for everthing so I keep even the 'longshots' in my arsenal.

A while back I was playing slappy hands with a Wing Chun sifu and popped one up side his head as a test. He's tall and I've found that some tall guys will ignore high kicks because they're not used to anyone kicking that high.

He blocked it but didn't take advantage and counter. It was a slow kick too. Surprised he didn't drop me on my butt.

But yes, if I'm comfortable I'll use it in a match. Oddball techs work sometimes. I think some CMA techs worked in the past because they were unexpected. That's why the secrecy of the past. That's not true anymore so the oddball stuff has been dropped in MMA. They still work, just not so well on highly trained fighters.

Use basics against skilled, fancy against unskilled (unsuspecting).
    What happens in Gong Sao stays in Gong Sao.

"And then my Qi exploded, all over the bathroom" - name witheld

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    Do you guys train to hit with the foot or the shin?

inside crescent = ball of foot or inside edge of heel

outside = outside edge of heel

shin would be fine but its not how I train. think of it this way:

the leg is shaped much like a big ball peen hammer

would you rather hit something with the hammer or the handle?

sure the handle will hurt, but if you lay the hammer into the jaw or temple...

Oso - I use a similar tactic, but instead of going for a punch I follow up by closing for a headlock or RNC while they "have" my leg.

and yes... the more skilled my opponent the lower my kicks get.

if I'm sparring someone with little skill or strength I'm doing cartwheels and butterflys

or acting like a monkey

just something to make it fun

Words!

Just words!

ive found a quick inside crescent can be quite effective. you can bring it from the outside of your opponents guard from a blind spot.

i guess though its all about set up and who your fighting.

some people i would never even attempt a kick above my waist, others i would KTFO with them.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!