Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do other sifu's hate on other sifu's

im_dabich

Have you ever met someones who's views and opinions are antithetical to yours? These people are commonly know as a$$holes , and sometimes they practice MA.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

TaiChiBob Continued….

What you are referring to is co-operation.

When a number of individuals work together towards a common purpose it is co-operation. To get to their goal they work in harmony. However, whenever we have more than one person working together there will be conflict as to how to arrive at the goal. From this conflict an outcome occurs that hopefully strikes some kind of balance between the conflicting views.

When a group works together for a common purpose they are working ‘towards” something else. This something else is something other than what they have. This desire to work towards something else is a reflection of the conflict or dissatisfaction with what they have. The reason they are working ‘towards” something is because they have a “desire” for a changed condition of some sort.

Keep in mind that not everyone on the planet views life as philosophically as you or I. We live in a conditioned state of being and it this conditioned state of being to which I refer. The conditioned state of being is ruled by the processes of Tao and Tao is symbolized by Yin-Yang. Yin-Yang is an illustration of the process of conflict that is, the harmonious conflict of contrasting principles. It is this conflict that creates change. If we did not have the contrasting principles to conflict with one and other all there would be is ONE!! With ONE there is no change, no conflict! With TWO or more there is always conflict which motivates and creates change!

Without hate, there can be no love. Without darkness there can be no light. Without sadness, there can be no joy. Without Ying, there can be no Yang.

Our world requires hatred in order for love to exist.

So like i said ealier, without hate, the world would be a very boring place.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox
    Without hate, there can be no love. Without darkness there can be no light. Without sadness, there can be no joy. Without Ying, there can be no Yang.

Our world requires hatred in order for love to exist.

So like i said ealier, without hate, the world would be a very boring place.
    Actually there is no requirement for Hate to exist. Yin and Yang are contrasting principles. They are opposite in a sense, but not in the sense that many think of opposites.

All that is necessary is for something to contrast with Love. Therefore we may have “Love” and “that which is not Love” or Love and “that which is less than Love”, Hate is not required!

I return to my favorite illustration of this principle, the “Three Bowls of Water Allegory”!

Let us say I have three bowls of water. One has water that is 40*F, one has water that is 60*F and one has water that is 80*F. The question is, is the water in the 60*F bowl warm or cool? The answer is, it is both, or it is neither depending upon the perspective with which one chooses to describe it. It is warm if it is contrasted with the 40*F water and it is cool if it is contrasted with the 80*F water, but inherently it is only 60*F water. Our experience of the 60*F water is determined by the context, by what we contrast it with. It is inherently neither warm nor cool.

We use terms like Love and Hate, Hot and Cold as conventions to describe contrasting states. Because we confuse the terms with the actual states we may be led to believe that the states are opposites in fact, but they are not opposites in reality, merely contrasting states according to a specific context. When the context is changed the quality of the phenomena is experienced differently.
    Last edited by Scott R. Brown; 07-12-2006 at 12:50 AM.

All I ever needed to know, I learned from...

... videogames!

For example, from videogames I learned that if I will jeopardize my health or even die if I come into any sort of contact with anything that moves around and is not me. I must dodge and/or dispose of these entities (hereafter referred to as "non-me's") with a variety of creative and improvised weapons before the timer runs out or I will also die and have to start over.

So therefore, when you exchange posts with someone on the internet (which qualifies as contact) you risk your life unless you take active steps to plot their demise in the arena of ideas. I'd better dig around for more pennies just in case. I need at least 100 to survive that Pahrump thread.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

A great Master once said....

"Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to The Dark Side".

And that's all I have to say about that.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Goya makes a nice pre=packaged flan, and it can be found in most groceries, definately in the Spanish neighborhoods. Is creme brule' the same thing as flan, only with the top carmelized?

Greetings..

Hi Scott: We have differing perspectives of "conflict".. while i may have differing opinions compared to another's, if we are seeking the best solution and are willing to change opinion's in light of better evidence, i sense no conflict.. i sense unity of purpose and no conflict.. but, if one or the other struggles to prevail, regardless of evidence, conflict is manifested... if, i yield under pressure but maintain balance there is no conflict.. but, if i resist pressure, balance or not, i am in conflict with the situation.. if i apply pressure but my opponent yields and unites with my force, he has created a harmony in his favor.. i have pushed into emptiness, no conflict.. he has added (cooperated) force in the direction of my intended push, no conflict.. just an outcome different than i intended.. from my perspective, conflict implies struggle or resistance..
    The process of equilibrium/harmony to disequilibrium and returning to equilibrium is the process of conflict. When what I have or want changes to what I don’t want I feel an inner conflict and this motivates me to change and/or grow in order to return to what I want. All change occurs due to this process. Change does not occur without some form of disequilibrium/conflict to motivate it.
    Here is where i perceive our subtle difference of perception.. as long as we are agreed to seek the necessary change to restore equilibrium we are in harmony with the natural processes.. resistance to change or forced manipulation to effect change is my perception of conflict.. but, given your perspective (and i do not assert it as incorrect), your description is valid and worthy of consideration..

At the core of our experiences is the intention we put to them.. regardless of the means of achievement, a harmony of intention may negate the appearance of conflict in the limited perspective in favor of its contribution to achievement in the broader perspective.. not unlike your bowls of water analogy.. Thanks for the dialogue, as always.. thought provoking and pleasant..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Quote Originally Posted by Chizica

uh, you forgot the rest about what leads to doobies and twinkies.

man, people need to put scripture like that into context!

Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chizica

Is this from "star war" the movie?

actually, expectation leads to frustration. anything short of expected makes you frustrated. frustration leads to anger. anger leads to fury etc.

fear comes from not knowing something fully. fear only leads to more fear and then panic.

hate comes from extreme frustration?

you have to love something so much and you hate to lose it?

so you love your school so much you hate other schools?

---

I wouldn't put a lot into the "philosophy of the jedi" lol.

If I was Luke, here's how my conversation with Yoda would have gone.

Yoda: "Do or do not, there is no try"

Me: "I will do my best"

I love the inane and banal utterances that is passed offf as wisdom by some. Star wars is a great source of the inane and banal, but as a sci-fi serial flick, it's great! zap pow slice breath in/out etc etc
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by im_dabich

You know I have seen a lot of hateing on here, and in real life.. There is a lot of either jealousey or something between a lot of sifu's well and masters too.. Can't we all just get along? LoL.... There is no room in life for hate. Life should be full of happiness, fun, and hard work.. We dont need to hate other people or be mean to other people.. If you have that much knowledge then you should share it.. Not act like 2 year old's with the whole "thats mine" crap.. Does anyone else have an opinion on this? Why do sifu's hate on other sifu's?
    If we could all get along then we wouldn't have Martial Arts.
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Emperor of Baji!!!

(Spellcheck by Chang Style Novice!)

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com

Smile in a word....

.......ego!!

Hi TaiChiBob,

I understand it may appear a matter of semantics or how we each view the same principle from a different perspective, but calling a library a “learning resource center” does not change the fact it is a library, “A rose by any other name is still a rose!” Conflict is part of life; it is illustrated by the dynamic of Yin-Yang. There may be an element of cooperation found within conflict, but that does not change the inherent presence of conflict within the world system.

Our discussion here represents a conflict. I have views I share that are different from the views you share. When we engage in a discussion concerning our differing views, despite the cordiality of it, it is still a conflict between contrasting views. Even if neither of us agrees in the end we are changed in some manner due to the interaction (conflict).

Quote Originally Posted by TaiChiBob
    …while i may have differing opinions compared to another's, if we are seeking the best solution and are willing to change opinion's in light of better evidence, i sense no conflict...
    If your views were unified (harmonious, in equilibrium) there would be no need to change your opinions. Because your views are in conflict one or both must “change” in order to restore harmony (regain balance, reach an agreement).

What you have described by your example here is a productive and beneficial resolution of conflict using reason to reach compromise. The conflict was present; it was how you resolved the conflict that gives the appearance of no conflict. Further, the fact that you and your partner, in this example, are working “towards a solution” implies there was a dilemma (conflict) to resolve in the first place. There was a condition present that was not satisfactory to what was desired. This is a conflict between what you had and what you wanted. Most likely you and your partner had at least slightly different methods of arriving at your desired result. This is also a conflict. The fact you resolved your conflict of ideas easily due to your common goal, maturity and reason does not eliminate the fact that conflict was present.

Remember that conflict is what motivates change. In your example, one or both of you changed their view of how to solve the dilemma in order to arrive at a mutually beneficial resolution and the solution to the dilemma created a changed condition as well.

…i sense unity of purpose and no conflict…
    Here you are focusing on the positive manner in which the conflict was resolved. I agree at times it may be more beneficial to focus on positive aspects rather than negative; however conflict was present to motivate a solution which caused a change in condition. It seems that you may have a general idea that conflict is a negative condition. Conflict is neither a positive nor negative condition, it merely IS. It is a condition of life. Positive or negative views concerning conflict are what individual’s project onto the phenomenon of conflict and are not its inherent value. Conflict exists! It motivates change! There is no inherent positive or negative value to it; it is what we bring to the conflict, our attitude towards it that determines the value for us!

…if one or the other struggles to prevail, regardless of evidence, conflict is manifested...
    Conflict is present from the beginning. There IS a struggle to prevail. It is just that the solution, in your example, is more important to the parties than the ego attachment each has to which solution is chosen. Because of this the inherent conflict is not perceived. The struggle, in your example, merely follows a more productive method. A discussion of varying points of view occurs. Evidence is provide by each party regarding their reasoning for preferring their particular view and an agreed upon a method for determining the best action to follow occurs. It may involve testing methods, arguing points, drawing straws, etc. This method is nice and tidy, however it is only effective when dealing with individuals with common goals and a willingness to compromise. What would your reaction be if your partner demanded a solution your experience repeatedly informed you would not work and was in fact dangerous to yourself, your family and others? What if your partner was convinced their view was right and your view was wrong? This would demonstrate a conflict of a different quality, but both remain conflicts.

…if i yield under pressure but maintain balance there is no conflict…but, if i resist pressure, balance or not, i am in conflict with the situation...
    If you have the need to yield you are perceiving conflict. The conflict may not have been physically manifested, but you perceived it as impending and this caused a reaction. In this circumstance, perception of conflict may be visual as in the perception of an approaching force, or physical as in the physical pressure you mention. The fact you have yielded is merely your chosen solution to the conflict. Here is what has occured:

1) You are occupying a specific space.
    2) You feel a pressure on you to move. This pressure IS the conflict whether it is a physical pressure or a psychological pressure manifested by your interpretation of an impending event.
    3) You choose to yield (move yourself out of) your presently occupied space.
    4) This yielding is “a change” in position in response to the conflict perceived. The conflict, which was manifested as pressure (psychological or physical), caused you to change your position by yielding your occupied space.
    5) Conflict caused change.

Yielding to pressure is merely one choice that may be made concerning how to resolve conflict. Let us consider a similar example where you might choose to resist the pressure. A person is moving towards you in an uncontrolled manner. You are all that stands between this individual and the edge of a cliff. Instead of yielding you might resist the forward movement (pressure). Once again, the forward pressure IS the conflict. Your resistance CHANGES the forward movement and, most likely, your position was CHANGED in order to effectively and safely stop the forward momentum. The forward momentum was the conflict; in order to resolve it CHANGE was necessary.

…if i apply pressure but my opponent yields and unites with my force, he has created a harmony in his favor.. i have pushed into emptiness, no conflict.. he has added (cooperated) force in the direction of my intended push, no conflict.. just an outcome different than i intended...
    Your act of pressure creates the conflict. Your opponent must react and he will change. His change, whether it is to yield to your pressure or to be forced to move by you, are both stimulated by your action of pressure. The pressure (conflict) created change.

Your pressure represents conflict because you are “imposing” a force upon an otherwise stable (balanced) condition. You are creating a circumstance where your opponent WILL change. He was in a condition of balance and your pressure caused him to change in order to maintain his balance. If you had not imposed a force upon him he would have had no reason to change his condition to retain balance. If he had not changed his condition he would have become unbalanced. Either one is change caused by your application of force. You created a conflict that caused him to change in order to maintain a condition that he preferred that is, he prefers to remain balanced. To do this he was required to change in accordance with the conflict you created.

Your opponent may unify his force with yours, but once he seeks to change your force in any manner, whether by increasing it, decreasing it, or redirecting it, conflict has resumed.