Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jackie Chan scandals

Hybrid View

Good commentary by Jeff Yang

I Am Jackie Chan: My Life in Action is a great read. Yang should do part 2 from 97 to today.
    January 17, 2013, 2:00 PM
    Why Did Jackie Chan Body Slam America?
    By Jeff Yang

Associated Press
    Hong Kong movie star Jackie Chan poses for photographers during the charity premiere of his new movie “CZ12″ in Hong Kong Thursday Dec. 13, 2012.

Jackie Chan is famous for his glorious on-camera recklessness — leaping out of windows, crashing through walls and tumbling from rooftops for the sake of his millions of global fans. Recently, however, he’s made a habit of performing a somewhat less crowd-pleasing stunt: Shooting off his mouth.

The latest incident occurred last week, during an otherwise mundane interview on Qiang Qiang, a popular talk show on Hong Kong-based cable net Phoenix TV. After 15 minutes spent discussing Chan’s latest film, CZ12 (“Chinese Zodiac”), the conversation turned to the action hero’s reputation for fervent nationalism, which has prompted criticism from some on the Internet.

“Chinese are dissatisfied with many things, but you always say ‘China is so good.’ Now many people on the net are displeased with you,” said the talk show’s host, Dou Wentao. In response, Chan pointed out that while China has many problems, particularly with corruption, its ascent into global prominence has occurred only over the last dozen years. “If you talk about corruption, does the entire rest of the world — does America have no corruption?…America has the most corruption in the world!”

After the statement was translated into English by China-watching blog Ministry of Tofu, the Washington Post’s Max Fisher penned a commentary on Chan’s “anti-Americanism,” wondering how the star could “square his criticism of the United States with his long embrace of the American film market.”

The article had the effect that anyone could have expected, generating over a thousand comments and a firestorm of social-media reaction, much of it decrying Chan’s “ingratitude” and vowing to boycott his future creative output, in an uncanny echo of the last time a scandal erupted around an Asian pop icon’s bashing of America.

There are notable differences between PSY’s gaffe and Chan’s, however. PSY dropped his buzzbomb over a decade ago as a relative unknown, driven by youthful passion and the prevailing attitudes in his native country. Chan hardly has that excuse. He’s experienced enough to know that words have power, and he’s famous enough for his voice to carry as far as the Internet can reach, in every language in the world.

So what could possibly explain Chan’s willingness to alienate fans and risk his hard-won reputation with comments that, at the least, could be termed indiscreet? (It seems excessive to call his statement “anti-Americanism,” when Americans, including action stars like Chuck Norris, regularly spout far harsher charges against America’s culture, society and government — but it was certainly poorly considered.)

I don’t know for sure. But I can make a stab at guessing.

Back in 1997, I wrote a book called I Am Jackie Chan: My Life in Action — Chan’s autobiography, and the first, and to this day only from-the-icon’s-mouth accounting of his humble beginnings and rise to international stardom. I spent the better part of that year traveling with him on and off, and listening to the anecdotes of his many-colored life, from his birth to refugee parents in Hong Kong, to his ****ensian years as a foster student at Master Yu Jim Yuen’s China Drama Academy, through his wild and woolly stuntman days, and finally his rocky (and then rocketlike) rise to global superstardom.

If there was a common theme across all of these many chapters, it’s this: Chan’s life has been an ongoing, obsessive quest for self-definition. It’s why by the time he was an adult, he’d answered to a half-dozen different names, from Chan Kong Sang (“Born in Hong Kong Chan”) to Yuen Lo (“Yuen’s Tower”) to Chan Sing Lung (“Becoming the Dragon Chan”) to Fong Sing Lung (after his father let slip the secret that their true family name, obscured during wartime, was Fong); from “Paul” to “Jacky” to Jackie.

It’s why he has always surrounded himself with a tight, nearly impenetrable circle of insiders, and why loyalty — to him and from him — is the primary trait of all his closest relationships. And it’s the reason why he was Hong Kong’s most ebullient cultural ambassador before 1997 — and why now, after Reunification, he’s transformed into The New China’s most fervent public advocate.

Chan’s eagerness to belong was shaped by a history of repeated abandonments, separations and betrayals, both small and large. His parents, unable to care for him, signed him over at a tender age to a master who had the right to punish him “even to death.” Then, after putting Chan through a decade of harsh training for stardom on the Chinese opera stage, his teacher announced that there was no longer a market for such skills, shut down the school and retired to Los Angeles, leaving his students to fend for themselves with minimal book learning and no adult supervision.

His early film years were marked by repeated humiliation and disappointment. Living in the shadow of the late, great Bruce Lee, Chan found himself forced to emulate Lee’s stoic screen image, with unconvincing and financially disastrous results. (Even the nom d’ecran Chan chose for himself, “Becoming the Dragon,” reflects Chan’s youthful aspirations to rise to Lee’s heights.)

Breaking free from the clutches of Lo Wei, the “millionaire director” who would later claim both Lee and Chan as proteges, Chan created the persona that would endear him to millions: Both Everyman and Ubermensch, an ordinary joe with extraordinary abilities hidden beneath his plain surface. But while it served him well in Asia, where he became the biggest and most bankable star of his generation, it did nothing to break him through to the world’s largest movie market, the U.S. The forays Chan made into Hollywood — the dull “Big Brawl,” the clownish “Cannonball Run” films, the misguided “Protector” — again forced him into roles and contexts that were ill-suited for his abilities and personality.

And Chan’s youthful interactions with American studio execs and members of the U.S. media during that run, which ranged from dismissive to condescending to straight-up racist, gave him a bad taste that he has never quite been able to wash away.

In 1998, “Rush Hour” gave Chan the American success he’d long been seeking. But his experience on the film also confirmed many of his suspicions about Hollywood: He has privately expressed resentment over the fact that his costar Chris Tucker’s paycheck for the Rush Hour sequels — $20 million and $25 million plus a portion of the gross for RH 2 and 3 respectively — far outstripped what he was paid, even though Tucker has had almost no box-office success outside the RH trilogy, and even though Tucker risked little more than a case of drymouth, while Chan put his fortysomething body on the line in every other scene. (He still refers to the “Rush Hour” films as his “least favorite movies.”)

So Chan has a bit of bitterness about America, how it treats foreigners, its sense of value and its sense of values. Combine that with his lifelong desire to be an acknowledged and appreciated member of his “home team” — channeled into a self-appointed role as chief evangelist for The New China, a place that is lifting itself up by its bootstraps, that’s fixing its problems and that’s poised to shape the future of the world — and you get a formula for unpredictable blurts of an impolitic nature.

In 2004, Chan called the election that gave independence advocate Chen Shui-Bian the presidency of Taiwan “pathetic” and an “international joke.” In 2009, he called for greater restriction of freedoms on China, pointing to Taiwan and Hong Kong as examples of the “chaos” that occurs when the people are not “controlled.” He has expressed support for China’s censorship policies, unleashing angry responses from Chinese Internet users.

And yet, despite, or maybe because of his verbal eruptions, Chan’s star in China continues to rise. CZ12, by most accounts a mediocre addition to Chan’s canon, had a record opening weekend and continued to soar, ultimately becoming China’s second-highest-grossing domestic film ever, with over $130 million in total box office.

If there’s one thing that Jackie Chan has learned how to do in four decades of action, it’s falling on his feet.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Jackie not dead....AGAIN!

Jackie Chan Dead? Martial Arts Actor Victim of Online Death HOAX, Responds to Death and Engagement Rumors on Twitter and Facebook, Posts PHOTO with 'Today's Date'

BY Danica Bellini, Mstars Reporter , Mstarz reporter | Jun 24, 2013 02:06 PM EDT

Popular martial arts actor Jackie Chan is just the latest celebrity to fall victim to the infamous online death hoax (again). But no worries, "Rush Hour" fans, Chan is still indeed alive and well. The 59-year-old Hong Kong superstar even hit up Facebook and Twitter to debunk the morbid death rumors! Chan posted a photo posing with an issue of Friday's newspaper (June 21), proving that he hasn't bitten the dust just yet. At least he has a good sense of humor about it!

The internet tried killing-off Chan back in 2011... and for some reason, such morbid death rumors started resurfacing on Twitter and Facebook again earlier this month. Here's the bogus Global Associated News report that started the whole thing:

"Actor Jackie Chan died while filming a movie in Kitzbühel, Austria early this morning - June 23, 2013 (obviously the fake obit generates up-to-date deaths). Preliminary reports from Austrian Police officials indicate that the actor fell more than 50 feet to his death in a remote area of the Hahnenkamm mountains while on-set during the filming of a movie. Specific details are not yet available. The accident occurred at approximately 4:30 a.m. (UTC/GMT +12)."

Several fans fell for the story posted on the PRANK news website. But Chan IS NOT dead - and he has visual evidence to prove it!

Chan posted this message on Facebook and Twitter on Friday, June 21:
    成龍 Jackie Chan:

"Hi everybody! Yesterday, I got on a 3am flight from India to Beijing. I didn't get a chance to sleep and even had to clean my house when I got home. Today, everybody called to congratulate me on my rumored engagement. Afterward, everybody called me to see if I was alive.

If I died, I would probably tell the world! I took a photo with today's date, just in case you don't believe me! However, thank you all for your concern. Kiss kiss and love you all!

P.S. My dog is healthy, just like me! He doesn't need surgery! By the way, my dogs are golden retrievers, not Labradors."

Photo: Hi everybody! Yesterday, I got on a 3am flight from India to Beijing. I didn't get a chance to sleep and even had to clean my house when I got home. Today, everybody called to congratulate me on my rumored engagement. Afterward, everybody called me to see if I was alive. If I died, I would probably tell the world! I took a photo with today's date, just in case you don't believe me! However, thank you all for your concern. Kiss kiss and love you all! P.S. My dog is healthy, just like me! He doesn't need surgery! By the way, my dogs are golden retrievers, not Labradors.

The post received over 231,000 "likes" and counting.

So there you have it, Chan is indeed alive and still as busy as ever!

The post on this thread from the 2011 hoax
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jackie is scared?

I'm surprised Ai even cares what Jackie thinks.
    Ai Weiwei disappointed in 'scared' Jackie Chan
    Dissident artist's exhibit According to What? now on display in Toronto
    CBC News Posted: Sep 4, 2013 5:15 PM ET Last Updated: Sep 4, 2013 5:13 PM ET

Ai Weiwei connects with Q host Jian Ghomeshi via video feed from his home in Beijing. (CBC)

In a Canadian broadcast exclusive with the CBC’s Jian Ghomeshi, Ai Weiwei says the martial arts star Jackie Chan was "playing" when he claimed to not know his name.

Ai has been called the most powerful figure in the art world, and a major retrospective of his work is now on view at the Art Gallery of Ontario.

But in an interview with Ghomeshi in June, Jackie Chan repeatedly said that he was unfamiliar with the artist and his work, including the famous Bird's Nest stadium in Beijing.

Not possible, said the artist in an interview that aired on CBC Radio’s Q Wednesday.

"He knows me very well," said Ai. "He's very much a pro-government actor. And he's acted so extremely on the side of authority, which [has] already become laughable in the public's view."

Ai added that it bothered him that people like Chan who are "very influential" do not admit the truth and seem "scared of authority".

"He is quite well known, and he doesn't have to be like that."

Thanks AGO for its courage
    Ai Weiwei has expressed his gratitude to AGO organizers and Canadian audiences for supporting his retrospective in Toronto, saying it takes courage to showcase a dissident's work – which itself supports "basic values such as human rights and freedom of speech" – at a time when western governments are trying to build smoother, stronger relations with China.

"I am very happy to know that my work now received great enthusiasm from the Canadian audience, and I have to say thanks to them," said Ai.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

To speak one's mind is what free men do! When people try to muzzle free speech =, that is the true problem regarding fear and loyalty. That is why I love Jackie Chan

Aki Mizusawa

Published: Thursday December 12, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
    Updated: Thursday December 12, 2013 MYT 10:31:54 AM
    Japanese model tells of one-year fling with Jackie Chan

A JAPANESE model-cum-actress has claimed that she had a one-year relationship with Hong Kong superstar Jackie Chan (pic) in the 1980s.

Sin Chew Daily reported that Aki Mizusawa described Chan as a gentleman with a well-built physique during a variety show in Japan recently.

According to the report, Chan could have been married to Joan Lim and their son Jaycee was already one year old when he had the alleged affair.

Mizusawa, who was then a Japanese correspondent in France, had earlier said her encounter with Chan began when she was assigned to interview him in Barcelona.

Chan was said to be filming Wheel on Meals in 1984, a comedy martial art film directed by Sammo Hung then.

Both of them did not see each other after the one-year relationship until recent years when Chan visited Japan.

Asked about the affair during a promotional event on his latest film Police Story 2013 in Beijing, Chan did not deny it.

“This can be discussed privately. I can’t clear the air in just a few lines,” he was quoted as saying.

Aki Mizusawa was a popular Japanese sex siren in the 1980s
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Yet another death hoax

Hoax 2011

Hoax 2013

Maybe it's every odd year now?

Jackie Chan death hoax: Kung Fu legend denies death rumours on Facebook
    By Simi John
    May 19, 2015 09:17 BST

Jackie Chan squashed death rumours on his official Facebook account Getty

Hollywood actor and Kung Fu legend Jackie Chan once again became the victim of a celebrity death hoax.

Rumours that the 61-year-old Hong Kong-born actor is no more, started doing the rounds on Twitter and Facebook, with many social media users posting condolences.

The Karate Kid actor took to his official Facebook account to prove that he is still alive and kicking.

"I was shocked by two news reports when I got off the plane. First of all, don't worry! I'm still alive. Second, don't believe the scam on Weibo using my name about the Red Pockets," he wrote. "This is my official Facebook page and I only have 1 official Weibo page. Love you all!"

In 2013, fake reports had emerged that the Rush Hour star died while filming a movie in Kitzbühel, Austria.

Numerous celebrities have been at the receiving end of similar hoaxes, and the list keeps growing.

In the past, people have tweeted about the deaths of Bill Cosby, Bill Nye the Science Guy, Reese Witherspoon, Robert Pattinson, Margaret Thatcher, Phil Collins, Kris Jenner, Denzel Washington, Adele, John Witherspoon, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga.

A death hoax involving the Fast & Furious star Paul Walker was doing the rounds on the internet on the eve of his actual demise in a car crash in Los Angeles.

Meanwhile, Oscar-winning actor Morgan Freeman personally came forward to clear rumours and mocked fake stories suggesting he had died, and assured fans that he was alive and well.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Anti Hair Fall

Return of the Bawang.

Shampoo company made famous by Jackie Chan says product 'safer than drinking water' after cancer claim
    By Priscilla Yu August 28, 2015 / 10:39 HKT

During a trial in which Chinese herbal shampoo company Bawang accused Next Magazine of libel, a lawyer claimed on Tuesday that their product was "safer than drinking water".

The lawsuit had been filed over the publication's report that dioxane, which is found in their product, can cause cancer.

The company is now asking for more than HKD630 million in damages.

Bawang insists there is not sufficient evidence – even in animal tests – to prove that dioxane is carcinogenic, reports Apple Daily (which, like Next Magazine, is owned by Next Media).

The shampoo company – which was made notorious by Jackie Chan’s famously ridiculous endorsement – added that according to WHO standards, the low levels of dioxane in their shampoo makes it safer than drinking water.

Furthermore, it said that even EU and US Environmental Protection Agency studies say that dioxane is not toxic, and that animal tests that showed a negative effect exposed its subjects to higher levels of the chemical.

Whatever – if Jackie Chan says it makes his hair go “duaaaang”, who are we to argue?

Note: This article previously stated that the lawsuit was filed on Tuesday. That is incorrect. We regret the error.
    Bawang needs to chug a bottle of dioxane to make his point.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

40+ kilograms of meth in Jackie Chan-branded DVD players

Can't really blame Jackie for this one. I just stumbled over it searching for some Dragon Blade news today.

Melbourne pair arrested over ice imported in fridges and Jackie Chan-branded DVD players
    By the National Reporting Team's Dan Oakes and Sam Clark
    Updated about 6 hours ago

Two Nigerian nationals have been charged over the alleged importation of more than 40 kilograms of methamphetamine, brought into Australia concealed inside bar fridges and Jackie Chan-branded DVD players.

Chibuike Anyasor, 33, and Joe Iwuchukwu Odemegwo, 51, were arrested on Thursday afternoon by officers from Taskforce Icarus, a joint operation between the AFP, Border Force and Victoria Police tackling the importation of drugs by post and other methods.

The pair appeared in the Melbourne Magistrates Court today.

Ansayor, described by police as a key figure in the drug importation syndicate, was charged with importing and attempting to possess methamphetamine.

Odemegwo was charged with attempting to possess a commercial quantity of methamphetamine. If found guilty they face a maximum penalty of life imprisonment.

Do you know more about this story? Email investigations@abc.net.au

The court heard that Anyasor and Odemegwo were under investigation for six months and that police had obtained extensive telephone intercepts during that time.

Many of the intercepted calls were all in the Igbo language, predominantly spoken by people in the south-east of Nigeria.

The court was told there were only two accredited Igbo translators in Australia and that both of them were living in Adelaide, on students visas, which meant they could only work for 20 hours a week.

AFP Deputy Commissioner Operations Leanne Close said offenders who imported methamphetamine into Australia would face the full force of the law.

"Law enforcement and border protection agencies will continue to work together to target organised crime syndicates who seek to compromise our communities with this dangerous and insidious drug," Deputy Commissioner Close said.

"These arrests are a significant disruption to this syndicate. Our capabilities to detect and disrupt organised crime continue to grow, and we will not slow our efforts to remove this scourge from our streets."

The two men were remanded into custody until a committal mention on December 11.
    Wait....hold the phone...I want a Jackie Chan-branded DVD player.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A 4th death hoax!

So I made a new indie thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Panama papers

Well now, of all of the people we follow here, Jackie does have the most unique list of scandals.

WORLD 6:25am April 4, 2016
    Panama Papers: Huge leak exposes offshore accounts linked to world's rich and famous

By 9NEWS

Russian President Vladimir Putin's aides, Jackie Chan and Lionel Messi's secret assets were revealed. (AFP file images)

Close aides of Russian President Vladimir Putin are among those whose assets feature in a vast exposé of tax havens, made by an international group of journalists who uncovered a massive leak of 11.5 million documents from a Panama-based law firm.

The leaked documents, known as the Panama Papers, allegedly detail the assets of about 140 political figures - including 12 current and former world leaders - as well as some celebrities and blacklisted companies, according to the probe by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) and German daily Sueddeutsche Zeitung.

The investigation yielded 11.5 million documents from around 214,000 offshore entities, the ICIJ said.

The leaked data, dated from 1975 to the end of last year, provides what the ICIJ described as a "never-before-seen view inside the offshore world."

Names featured in the leak included the president of Ukraine, the king of Saudi Arabia, the prime ministers of Iceland and Pakistan, and the children of the president of Azerbaijan.

Although Mr Putin's name is not mentioned in the documents, his close associates "secretly shuffled as much as $2 billion through banks and shadow companies," according to the ICIJ.

The records show his friend and associate Sergey Roldugin is "a behind-the-scenes player in a clandestine network operated by Putin associates," the ICIJ wrote.

He "is listed as the owner of offshore companies that have obtained payments from other companies worth tens of millions of dollars."

"A company linked to the cellist also grabbed secret influence over Russia’s largest truck maker, another snagged a big slice of Russia’s TV advertising industry."

April 04, 2016: Iceland's Prime Minister, Sigmundur David Gunnlaugsson, has walked out of an interview after being asked questions about one of his family's offshore accounts which allegedly benefited from Iceland's financial crisis in 2008.
    The evidence suggests Mr Roldugin has acted as a "front man for a network of Putin loyalists – and perhaps for Putin himself", the ICIJ wrote.

The Panama Papers also named celebrities including move star Jackie Chan, who has at least six companies managed through the Panama firm.

However, "there is no evidence that Chan used his companies for improper purposes", the ICIJ wrote, explaining that having an offshore company isn't necessarily illegal.

Football star Lionel Messi's secret holdings are also detailed, with the papers revealing he and his father owned a Panama company called Mega Stars Inc.

The revelations come as "his offshore dealings are currently the target of a tax evasion case in Spain," the ICIJ wrote.

The papers also reveal the holdings of 29 billionaires featured in Forbes Magazine’s list of the world’s 500 richest people.

Economist Gabriel Zucman said the findings revealed ingrained corruption in the "offshore world".

"These findings show how deeply ingrained harmful practices and criminality are in the offshore world," the University of California, Berkeley, economist said.

They also expose at least 33 people and companies blacklisted by the US government due to evidence of criminality, including "doing business with Mexican drug lords, terrorist organizations like Hezbollah or rogue nations like North Korea and Iran," the ICIJ wrote.

US authorities believe one of the companies "supplied fuel for the aircraft that the Syrian government used to bomb and kill thousands of its own citizens".

The leaked documents came from Mossack Fonseca, a Panama-based law firm with offices in more than 35 countries.

They were reviewed by a team of more than 370 reporters from over 70 countries, according to the ICIJ.

The BBC reported Mossack Fonseca said it had operated "beyond reproach" for 40 years and had never been charged with any criminal wrongdoing.

The original source of the leaked documents is unclear.

With AFP.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jc & hk

Here’s Why Jackie Chan Is Really Unpopular in Hong Kong
    One of Hong Kong's most famous exports has provoked the ire of the pro-democracy movement.
    By Heather Chen
    August 19, 2020, 5:25am

JACKIE CHAN ACCEPTS THE ALBERT R. BROCCOLI BRITANNIA AWARD FOR WORLDWIDE CONTRIBUTION TO ENTERTAINMENT ONSTAGE DURING THE 2019 BRITISH ACADEMY BRITANNIA AWARDS PRESENTED BY AMERICAN AIRLINES AND JAGUAR LAND ROVER AT THE BEVERLY HILTON HOTEL ON OCTOBER 25, 2019 IN BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA. PHOTO: KEVIN WINTER / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA / GETTY IMAGES VIA AFP

To the Western world, Jackie Chan is a martial arts hero and popular action film star. But in his birthplace of Hong Kong, Chan is deeply unpopular, particularly among the city’s pro-democracy movement.

“The West lauds Jackie Chan but they don’t understand him,” a popular Twitter account called Hong Kong World City that supports the Hong Kong pro-democracy movement told VICE News. “He isn’t this wholesome mascot that he makes himself out to be.”

Known in the cinematic world for his acrobatic fighting style and slapstick comedy, Chan—who also goes by his Chinese name Cheng Long—is easily one of Asia’s most recognizable and influential stars. He started out as a stuntman in the 1970s and worked his way to the top, rising to international superstardom after appearing alongside comedian Chris Tucker in the hit action-comedy franchise Rush Hour.

Chan has appeared in more than 200 films and shows to date and remains one of Hong Kong’s biggest names in the entertainment industry—with an estimated net worth of $400 million.

But Chan’s outspoken support for China’s ruling Communist Party has caused controversy in Hong Kong—he was even recruited to join the party’s political advisory body.

In 2009, Chan questioned the idea of a free press and said that Chinese control was a positive thing.

“I’m not sure if it’s good to have freedom or not,” he said at a conference in 2009. “I’m gradually beginning to feel that we Chinese need to be controlled. If we’re not being controlled, we’ll just do what we want.”

Hong Kong World City referenced Chan’s comments in a recent tweet, explaining why people in Hong Kong are not fans of Chan.

“His support among fans in Hong Kong is bone dry because of the controversial beliefs he holds—that people here and in Taiwan belong to mainland China and therefore, do not deserve freedom,” the Twitter page told VICE News. “His words are unfathomable and unforgivable.”

Chan criticized Hong Kong’s renewed pro-democracy protests in a televised 2019 state TV interview, reiterating his pro-China stance and expressing hopes for the city to “return to peace”.

“The recent events in Hong Kong are sad and depressing,” Chan said. “Hong Kong and China are my birthplaces and my home. China is my country and I love my country.”

Most recently, Chan voiced his support for the controversial national security law imposed on Hong Kong by China. The law bans all forms of secession, subversion, terrorism, and collusion with a foreign country, and threatens a maximum penalty of life in prison.

Chan added his signature to a group statement that read: “We fully understand the importance of safeguarding national security for Hong Kong and support the decision of the National People’s Congress on Hong Kong’s national security law.”

In response, Hong Kong and Taiwanese netizens were quick to label him “a two-faced scumbag” and “a deviant traitor”.

“Instead of raising awareness and safeguarding Hong Kong’s security and core values, Cheng Long rides on his political status with mainland China,” Lo Kin-hei, vice-chairman of Hong Kong’s Democratic Party, told VICE News.

“He may have been well-liked and respected as an actor in the 1980s and 1990s but things have changed. There is a lot of hatred for him in Hong Kong now and he is no longer in any position to accurately represent our city and its people.”

Chan was also the subject of a political art campaign by popular Chinese-Australian artist Badiucao.

“When you stand with the Chinese government, you stand with violence, censorship, concentration camps and ethnic cleansing,” the political cartoonist told VICE News.

“Jackie Chan is one of Hong Kong’s biggest names. He has a social responsibility to speak out about what’s happening in his home city but instead, he defends Beijing-backed violence and police brutality. Cheng Long may be an idol to many Chinese people but he is misusing his fame and influence by allying with the Communist Party to betray not only Hong Kong but himself.”

The artist added: “Democracy helps artists by giving us the freedom to create work. Jackie Chan is an enemy of democracy.”

The mainland Chinese market is a lucrative one that wields power and influence over Hollywood. To anger China would mean paying the price with one’s career, John Lee, a senior fellow at the Hudson Institute in Washington, D.C., and an adjunct professor at the U.S. Studies Center in Sydney, Australia previously told VICE News.

“There are potentially serious commercial consequences for celebrities and entertainment executives who make sensitive comments that are deemed as being critical of China and the Communist Party,” Lee said.

“China’s box office revenue is valued at almost $10 billion, which makes it the second-largest in the world after the United States and there are estimates that this figure will even double,” he added. “Mainland Chinese audiences are also a highly influential market that the U.S. and other regional film industries are all seeking to expand into.”

The turbulent anti-government protests that have roiled Hong Kong for years have also split its entertainment industry.

Celebrity figures like Chan and Ip Man star Donnie Yen, who is featured in the upcoming Disney live-action reboot of Mulan, are rewarded for loyalty in promoting China and the Communist Party. But fellow veteran Hong Kong stars like actor Chow Yun-fat and Cantopop singer Denise Ho, who have thrown their support behind the Hong Kong pro-democracy movement, have paid the price with their careers.

“There is a sense of betrayal and hypocrisy, given that Jackie was born in Hong Kong and presumably enjoyed the freedoms that the territory offered,” Lee told VICE News.

“This benefitted his career greatly,” Lee added. “But today he articulates the same propaganda messages as the Chinese government on highly sensitive and political issues, emphasizing the importance of patriotism and stability rather than freedom and democracy.”

Representatives for Chan did not immediately respond to VICE News for this story.
    Threads
    Jackie Chan Scandals
    HK Protests
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jackie loses his condos

Beijing closing in on him?
    Kung Fu star Jackie Chan's luxury Beijing condos are seized and put up for auction for £7.8million following ownership dispute
    The two high-end properties in downtown Beijing will be auctioned this month
    Chan's condos cover over 13,000-square-foot and are valued at nearly £11million
    They were seized and put up for sale due to a legal row between real estate firms
    The international action star has lived there with his wife and son since 2007
    By AFP
    PUBLISHED: 06:43 EDT, 1 September 2020 | UPDATED: 07:44 EDT, 1 September 2020

Two luxury Beijing apartments seized from martial arts film star Jackie Chan will be put up for auction for nearly £8million due to an ownership dispute.

Chan and his wife Joan Lin and son Jaycee Chan have lived in the high-end condos, which cover more than 1,200 square metres (13,000 square feet) with a market value of nearly £11million, in the Chinese capital since 2007.

But a legal dispute between two real estate firms has resulted in the properties being commandeered and put up for sale, despite appeals by the Kung Fu star.

Two luxury Beijing apartments (pictured right) seized from martial arts film star Jackie Chan (pictured left) will be put up for auction for nearly £8million due to an ownership dispute

Security guards stand at the main gate to a luxury apartment building in Beijing where two flats were seized from Hong Kong-born actor Jackie Chan in an ownership row

The action star, 66, best known for hit movies 'Rush Hour' and 'Police Story', sparked controversy in 2013 when he joined China's top political advisory body despite being born in Hong Kong, where his reputation has taken a beating over his pro-Beijing stance.

Chan signed an agreement with Yujia Real Estate in 2006 to buy the two units, according to a court judgment published in July seen by AFP.

The flats are listed at Dongzhimen Inner Street, in a residential compound within Beijing’s second ring road.

The actor paid 13million yuan (£1.4million) - a 20.6million yuan (£2.2million) discount over the original purchase price, in exchange for a celebrity endorsement of the compound in a prime area of central Beijing.

But court papers outline problems including a change in Yujia's company name, as well as tax arrears, which delayed the transfer of the property rights to Chan.

The action star, 66, best known for hit movies 'Rush Hour' and 'Police Story', sparked controversy in 2013 when he joined China's top political advisory body despite being born in Hong Kong, where his reputation has taken a beating over his pro-Beijing stance

The action star Jackie Chan and his wife Joan Lin and son Jaycee Chan have lived in the high-end condos (pictured in Beijing on Tuesday), which cover more than 1,200 square metres (13,000 square feet) with a market value of nearly £11million, in the Chinese capital since 2007

Another developer, Tenhong Real Estate, later filed for arbitration with Yujia to settle debts and the two properties were among those seized in 2017.

According to an online listing seen by AFP, the price for the two flats in the Chinese capital will now start from 71.9million yuan (£7.8million), with bidding to begin later this month.

A virtual tour of the property showed a maze-like space with a pool table, at least two walk-in wardrobes, a wine fridge and a framed photograph of Chan meeting former US president Barack Obama.

The property was also the scene of a 2014 drug scandal involving Chan's son Jaycee, who served six months in a Chinese prison after he was found to be providing a venue for others to use drugs and possession of 100 grams (3.5 ounces) of marijuana.

The properties are now valued at more than 100million yuan (£10.9million), according to the auction listing.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Rush Hour 4: Russian Hour

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jackie Chan caught "masturbating" on a plane.(on graham norton)

This is old, but I've never seen it. It came up in the newsfeeds with Skiptrace.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Etta Ng

Jackie Chan's estranged daughter hospitalized in Hong Kong after suspected suicide attempt
    BY ALEX LINDER IN NEWS ON APR 4, 2017 6:00 PM

Rumors are running wild in Hong Kong that Etta Ng, the estranged daughter of Jackie Chan, may have attempted to commit suicide after she checked herself into the hospital following a tumultuous few weeks of family drama.
    Etta left Hong Kong on Friday for a Thailand getaway with her mother's friends after her mother, former beauty queen Elaine Ng, was arrested for the second time. However, she decided to cut the trip short, secretly returning to Hong Kong two days later and checking into a hospital soon after landing.
    Yesterday, Ng rushed to the hospital to see her 17-year-old daughter. When asked by Oriental Daily if Etta had tried to kill herself, Ng did not reply, only sighing and saying "I'm really sorry."
    Posts that Etta has made on her social media accounts in the past have raised concerns about the teen's mental health. According to Asia One, before leaving for her Thailand trip, Etta wrote on Facebook: "Leaving HK for a bit tomorrow. I'm still alive, for those who are wondering." Additionally, last year she shared a number of articles about depression and suicide on social media, Ming Pao reports.

Last month, Ng was detained after allegedly fighting with some of Etta's friends. Ng later said that the dispute started when she found a packet of sedatives in her daughter's room.
    Ng was first arrested last year after her daughter accused her of child abuse. Later, Etta explained that she had reported her mother because she was worried about her drinking problem.

Etta was born in 1999. She was raised in Shanghai before moving to Hong Kong with her mother in 2011. She has never had a relationship with her father, calling him "just a stranger," in a 2015 interview.
    For his part, Chan admitted that his affair with Ng had been a mistake, saying that he had "only committed a fault that many men in the world commit." Ng decided to raise Etta on her own, and Chan has said that he doesn't plan to leave anything in his will to his daughter.
    Chan married Taiwanese actress Joan Lin back in 1982. The couple have one son, Jaycee Chan, who infamously was arrested in 2014 when police raided his Beijing apartment, seizing more than 100 grams of marijuana. He was later sentenced to six months of jail time.

[Images via MingPao]
    It's tough being a child of Jackie.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips