Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jackie Chan scandals

oh Jackie...

He's just ****ed that CZ12 won't get a theatrical release in America until all of his American fans have already seen it by other means.

‘The most corrupt country is America,’ Jackie Chan’s comments widely panned in China
    December 13, 2012

In a talk show aired on Hong Kong-based Phoenix TV Monday, Jackie Chan, the world-famous actor and show-biz star, said that China is not the country with the most serious corruption problem; the United States is. He also called on Chinese people to refrain from criticizing the China, especially in front of “outsiders”. The remarks immediately set off waves of criticism in China’s micro-blogosphere. Many Chinese net users joked “He should shut up and focus on acting,” but others believe he had a point.

The talk show, broadcast daily on weekdays, is a flagship program of Phoenix TV. Its features a host joined by two prominent media personalities or celebrities in discussions of a wide range of social, cultural and political issues. On Monday’s program, Jackie Chan and Ma Weidu, a nationally known connoisseur in antiques who also hosts his own talk show, are guests.

The program lasts roughly 22 minutes, in which Jackie Chan promotes his latest film and recounts his personal anecdotes in film making, leaving Ma in evident eclipse. Near the end of the show, however, when the host touched upon Jackie Chan’s nationalistic image against the backdrop of growing discontent with the country on Chinese Internet, the super star said,

Jackie Chan: The New China…The real success has been made in the past dozen of years. Our country’s president also admits they have the corruption problem, and some other stuff, but we are making progress. What I can see is our country is continuously making progress and learning. If you talk about corruption, the entire world, the America, has no corruption?

Host: America.

Jackie: The most corrupt in the world.

Host: Really?

Jackie: Of course. Where does this Great Breakdown (depression) come from? It started exactly from the world, the United States. When I was interviewed in the U.S., people asked me, I said the same thing. I said now that China has become strong, everyone is making an issue of China. If our own countrymen don’t support our country, who will support our country? We know our country has many problems. We (can) talk about it when the door is closed. To outsiders, (we should say,) “our country is the best.”

Host: So he can’t get enough of his more than 20 ambassador titles. I think the Ministry of Foreign Affairs should ask him to be the ambassador to the United States.

Jackie: Seriously, I am always like, when the door is closed, “Our country is like this and this. Who and who is not good.” But outside, “Our country is the best, like so and so, is the best.” You cannot say our country has problems (when you are outside), like “Yes, our country is bad.”

Video: 锵锵三人行 2012-12-10 成龙谈腐败问题:中国不是问题最严重的 (Jump to 21:30)

Most Chinese net users lashed out at Jackie Chan. Many made fun of his lack of basic common sense or logic. 虫子在北京 sighed, “What a poorly educated kid!” 袁裕来律师 wondered, “Which grade at school did Jackie Chan graduate from?” 潘帕斯雄猪 exclaimed, “Please, if you want to tell a good lie, tell an educated one. Go learn some knowledge before you contribute to CCP’s corruption.” 七木ca翁 was baffled, “‘The most corrupt country in the world is America.’ Where does this come from? ‘Supporting country’ means you cannot be opposed to corruption? Being opposed to corruption means non-support? Means ‘making an issue’? So, being opposed to corruption is wrong?”

Others pointed out Jackie Chan has a vested interest in glossing over the problems and defects of the Communist rule. 丫一幂 says, “His whitewash is for reaping bigger profits in the mainland!” 隔夜茶地盘 commented, “His desire for becoming an official must have driven him crazy.” 天朝外交官 was more blunt, “If I could get so many god**** benefits every year, I would sing commies’ praises as well.”

While Jackie Chan’s remarks have definitely alienated many netizens, he aligned himself with others. 刘忻也想练健美 agreed with the no-criticism-in-front-of-outsiders part, “Never let the skeleton out of your closet,” Jackie Chan is definitely right. Phoenix天马 chimed in, “I agree. There is no perfect man. And surely no perfect country…What is the god**** point of bellyaching every day? I hate that kind of person the most!” 岳瀚森 asked further, “Well said. Our country, while having many problems, is making constant progress. Do you f**king know what it is like abroad? Don’t ever assume it is paradise.”

It is not the first foot-in-mouth comments Jackie Chan made on politics. Some of his previous gaffes came close to denting his career. In 2004, he said Taiwanese presidential election is “an international joke; 20 or 100 years later, it will still be a huge joke. I feel it is so pathetic.” He was assailed by Taiwanese on online message boards and forums. There were even calls in Taiwan for a boycott on his films.

In 2009 at Boao Forum for Asia, he managed to rile up Hong Kong, Taiwan, as well as mainland China. Asked about mainland censorship on filmmaking, Chan said, “With too much freedom, it can get very chaotic, like today’s Hong Kong, or like Today’s Taiwan, also very chaotic. I am starting to think, we Chinese people, need to be reined, otherwise they will do whatever they want…Many people, unlike those in the United States and Japan, have no self-respect. When you have no self-respect, the government steps in and rein you in.”

Also, on the same occasion, he said out of blue, “If I need to buy a TV set, I will definitely by a Japanese product. Why? Because the Chinese one will explode! Many Chinese brands, too many, do not give people confidence. Too many small manufacturers adversely affected bigger manufacturers. Some sneaky, wily people, well, add to some stuff to milk powder and like…These are all a type of…a type of…Ah, I cannot express it. Anyway, it makes me very angry.”
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Good commentary by Jeff Yang

I Am Jackie Chan: My Life in Action is a great read. Yang should do part 2 from 97 to today.
    January 17, 2013, 2:00 PM
    Why Did Jackie Chan Body Slam America?
    By Jeff Yang

Associated Press
    Hong Kong movie star Jackie Chan poses for photographers during the charity premiere of his new movie “CZ12″ in Hong Kong Thursday Dec. 13, 2012.

Jackie Chan is famous for his glorious on-camera recklessness — leaping out of windows, crashing through walls and tumbling from rooftops for the sake of his millions of global fans. Recently, however, he’s made a habit of performing a somewhat less crowd-pleasing stunt: Shooting off his mouth.

The latest incident occurred last week, during an otherwise mundane interview on Qiang Qiang, a popular talk show on Hong Kong-based cable net Phoenix TV. After 15 minutes spent discussing Chan’s latest film, CZ12 (“Chinese Zodiac”), the conversation turned to the action hero’s reputation for fervent nationalism, which has prompted criticism from some on the Internet.

“Chinese are dissatisfied with many things, but you always say ‘China is so good.’ Now many people on the net are displeased with you,” said the talk show’s host, Dou Wentao. In response, Chan pointed out that while China has many problems, particularly with corruption, its ascent into global prominence has occurred only over the last dozen years. “If you talk about corruption, does the entire rest of the world — does America have no corruption?…America has the most corruption in the world!”

After the statement was translated into English by China-watching blog Ministry of Tofu, the Washington Post’s Max Fisher penned a commentary on Chan’s “anti-Americanism,” wondering how the star could “square his criticism of the United States with his long embrace of the American film market.”

The article had the effect that anyone could have expected, generating over a thousand comments and a firestorm of social-media reaction, much of it decrying Chan’s “ingratitude” and vowing to boycott his future creative output, in an uncanny echo of the last time a scandal erupted around an Asian pop icon’s bashing of America.

There are notable differences between PSY’s gaffe and Chan’s, however. PSY dropped his buzzbomb over a decade ago as a relative unknown, driven by youthful passion and the prevailing attitudes in his native country. Chan hardly has that excuse. He’s experienced enough to know that words have power, and he’s famous enough for his voice to carry as far as the Internet can reach, in every language in the world.

So what could possibly explain Chan’s willingness to alienate fans and risk his hard-won reputation with comments that, at the least, could be termed indiscreet? (It seems excessive to call his statement “anti-Americanism,” when Americans, including action stars like Chuck Norris, regularly spout far harsher charges against America’s culture, society and government — but it was certainly poorly considered.)

I don’t know for sure. But I can make a stab at guessing.

Back in 1997, I wrote a book called I Am Jackie Chan: My Life in Action — Chan’s autobiography, and the first, and to this day only from-the-icon’s-mouth accounting of his humble beginnings and rise to international stardom. I spent the better part of that year traveling with him on and off, and listening to the anecdotes of his many-colored life, from his birth to refugee parents in Hong Kong, to his ****ensian years as a foster student at Master Yu Jim Yuen’s China Drama Academy, through his wild and woolly stuntman days, and finally his rocky (and then rocketlike) rise to global superstardom.

If there was a common theme across all of these many chapters, it’s this: Chan’s life has been an ongoing, obsessive quest for self-definition. It’s why by the time he was an adult, he’d answered to a half-dozen different names, from Chan Kong Sang (“Born in Hong Kong Chan”) to Yuen Lo (“Yuen’s Tower”) to Chan Sing Lung (“Becoming the Dragon Chan”) to Fong Sing Lung (after his father let slip the secret that their true family name, obscured during wartime, was Fong); from “Paul” to “Jacky” to Jackie.

It’s why he has always surrounded himself with a tight, nearly impenetrable circle of insiders, and why loyalty — to him and from him — is the primary trait of all his closest relationships. And it’s the reason why he was Hong Kong’s most ebullient cultural ambassador before 1997 — and why now, after Reunification, he’s transformed into The New China’s most fervent public advocate.

Chan’s eagerness to belong was shaped by a history of repeated abandonments, separations and betrayals, both small and large. His parents, unable to care for him, signed him over at a tender age to a master who had the right to punish him “even to death.” Then, after putting Chan through a decade of harsh training for stardom on the Chinese opera stage, his teacher announced that there was no longer a market for such skills, shut down the school and retired to Los Angeles, leaving his students to fend for themselves with minimal book learning and no adult supervision.

His early film years were marked by repeated humiliation and disappointment. Living in the shadow of the late, great Bruce Lee, Chan found himself forced to emulate Lee’s stoic screen image, with unconvincing and financially disastrous results. (Even the nom d’ecran Chan chose for himself, “Becoming the Dragon,” reflects Chan’s youthful aspirations to rise to Lee’s heights.)

Breaking free from the clutches of Lo Wei, the “millionaire director” who would later claim both Lee and Chan as proteges, Chan created the persona that would endear him to millions: Both Everyman and Ubermensch, an ordinary joe with extraordinary abilities hidden beneath his plain surface. But while it served him well in Asia, where he became the biggest and most bankable star of his generation, it did nothing to break him through to the world’s largest movie market, the U.S. The forays Chan made into Hollywood — the dull “Big Brawl,” the clownish “Cannonball Run” films, the misguided “Protector” — again forced him into roles and contexts that were ill-suited for his abilities and personality.

And Chan’s youthful interactions with American studio execs and members of the U.S. media during that run, which ranged from dismissive to condescending to straight-up racist, gave him a bad taste that he has never quite been able to wash away.

In 1998, “Rush Hour” gave Chan the American success he’d long been seeking. But his experience on the film also confirmed many of his suspicions about Hollywood: He has privately expressed resentment over the fact that his costar Chris Tucker’s paycheck for the Rush Hour sequels — $20 million and $25 million plus a portion of the gross for RH 2 and 3 respectively — far outstripped what he was paid, even though Tucker has had almost no box-office success outside the RH trilogy, and even though Tucker risked little more than a case of drymouth, while Chan put his fortysomething body on the line in every other scene. (He still refers to the “Rush Hour” films as his “least favorite movies.”)

So Chan has a bit of bitterness about America, how it treats foreigners, its sense of value and its sense of values. Combine that with his lifelong desire to be an acknowledged and appreciated member of his “home team” — channeled into a self-appointed role as chief evangelist for The New China, a place that is lifting itself up by its bootstraps, that’s fixing its problems and that’s poised to shape the future of the world — and you get a formula for unpredictable blurts of an impolitic nature.

In 2004, Chan called the election that gave independence advocate Chen Shui-Bian the presidency of Taiwan “pathetic” and an “international joke.” In 2009, he called for greater restriction of freedoms on China, pointing to Taiwan and Hong Kong as examples of the “chaos” that occurs when the people are not “controlled.” He has expressed support for China’s censorship policies, unleashing angry responses from Chinese Internet users.

And yet, despite, or maybe because of his verbal eruptions, Chan’s star in China continues to rise. CZ12, by most accounts a mediocre addition to Chan’s canon, had a record opening weekend and continued to soar, ultimately becoming China’s second-highest-grossing domestic film ever, with over $130 million in total box office.

If there’s one thing that Jackie Chan has learned how to do in four decades of action, it’s falling on his feet.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jackie not dead....AGAIN!

Jackie Chan Dead? Martial Arts Actor Victim of Online Death HOAX, Responds to Death and Engagement Rumors on Twitter and Facebook, Posts PHOTO with 'Today's Date'

BY Danica Bellini, Mstars Reporter , Mstarz reporter | Jun 24, 2013 02:06 PM EDT

Popular martial arts actor Jackie Chan is just the latest celebrity to fall victim to the infamous online death hoax (again). But no worries, "Rush Hour" fans, Chan is still indeed alive and well. The 59-year-old Hong Kong superstar even hit up Facebook and Twitter to debunk the morbid death rumors! Chan posted a photo posing with an issue of Friday's newspaper (June 21), proving that he hasn't bitten the dust just yet. At least he has a good sense of humor about it!

The internet tried killing-off Chan back in 2011... and for some reason, such morbid death rumors started resurfacing on Twitter and Facebook again earlier this month. Here's the bogus Global Associated News report that started the whole thing:

"Actor Jackie Chan died while filming a movie in Kitzbühel, Austria early this morning - June 23, 2013 (obviously the fake obit generates up-to-date deaths). Preliminary reports from Austrian Police officials indicate that the actor fell more than 50 feet to his death in a remote area of the Hahnenkamm mountains while on-set during the filming of a movie. Specific details are not yet available. The accident occurred at approximately 4:30 a.m. (UTC/GMT +12)."

Several fans fell for the story posted on the PRANK news website. But Chan IS NOT dead - and he has visual evidence to prove it!

Chan posted this message on Facebook and Twitter on Friday, June 21:
    成龍 Jackie Chan:

"Hi everybody! Yesterday, I got on a 3am flight from India to Beijing. I didn't get a chance to sleep and even had to clean my house when I got home. Today, everybody called to congratulate me on my rumored engagement. Afterward, everybody called me to see if I was alive.

If I died, I would probably tell the world! I took a photo with today's date, just in case you don't believe me! However, thank you all for your concern. Kiss kiss and love you all!

P.S. My dog is healthy, just like me! He doesn't need surgery! By the way, my dogs are golden retrievers, not Labradors."

Photo: Hi everybody! Yesterday, I got on a 3am flight from India to Beijing. I didn't get a chance to sleep and even had to clean my house when I got home. Today, everybody called to congratulate me on my rumored engagement. Afterward, everybody called me to see if I was alive. If I died, I would probably tell the world! I took a photo with today's date, just in case you don't believe me! However, thank you all for your concern. Kiss kiss and love you all! P.S. My dog is healthy, just like me! He doesn't need surgery! By the way, my dogs are golden retrievers, not Labradors.

The post received over 231,000 "likes" and counting.

So there you have it, Chan is indeed alive and still as busy as ever!

The post on this thread from the 2011 hoax
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jackie is scared?

I'm surprised Ai even cares what Jackie thinks.
    Ai Weiwei disappointed in 'scared' Jackie Chan
    Dissident artist's exhibit According to What? now on display in Toronto
    CBC News Posted: Sep 4, 2013 5:15 PM ET Last Updated: Sep 4, 2013 5:13 PM ET

Ai Weiwei connects with Q host Jian Ghomeshi via video feed from his home in Beijing. (CBC)

In a Canadian broadcast exclusive with the CBC’s Jian Ghomeshi, Ai Weiwei says the martial arts star Jackie Chan was "playing" when he claimed to not know his name.

Ai has been called the most powerful figure in the art world, and a major retrospective of his work is now on view at the Art Gallery of Ontario.

But in an interview with Ghomeshi in June, Jackie Chan repeatedly said that he was unfamiliar with the artist and his work, including the famous Bird's Nest stadium in Beijing.

Not possible, said the artist in an interview that aired on CBC Radio’s Q Wednesday.

"He knows me very well," said Ai. "He's very much a pro-government actor. And he's acted so extremely on the side of authority, which [has] already become laughable in the public's view."

Ai added that it bothered him that people like Chan who are "very influential" do not admit the truth and seem "scared of authority".

"He is quite well known, and he doesn't have to be like that."

Thanks AGO for its courage
    Ai Weiwei has expressed his gratitude to AGO organizers and Canadian audiences for supporting his retrospective in Toronto, saying it takes courage to showcase a dissident's work – which itself supports "basic values such as human rights and freedom of speech" – at a time when western governments are trying to build smoother, stronger relations with China.

"I am very happy to know that my work now received great enthusiasm from the Canadian audience, and I have to say thanks to them," said Ai.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

To speak one's mind is what free men do! When people try to muzzle free speech =, that is the true problem regarding fear and loyalty. That is why I love Jackie Chan

Aki Mizusawa

Published: Thursday December 12, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
    Updated: Thursday December 12, 2013 MYT 10:31:54 AM
    Japanese model tells of one-year fling with Jackie Chan

A JAPANESE model-cum-actress has claimed that she had a one-year relationship with Hong Kong superstar Jackie Chan (pic) in the 1980s.

Sin Chew Daily reported that Aki Mizusawa described Chan as a gentleman with a well-built physique during a variety show in Japan recently.

According to the report, Chan could have been married to Joan Lim and their son Jaycee was already one year old when he had the alleged affair.

Mizusawa, who was then a Japanese correspondent in France, had earlier said her encounter with Chan began when she was assigned to interview him in Barcelona.

Chan was said to be filming Wheel on Meals in 1984, a comedy martial art film directed by Sammo Hung then.

Both of them did not see each other after the one-year relationship until recent years when Chan visited Japan.

Asked about the affair during a promotional event on his latest film Police Story 2013 in Beijing, Chan did not deny it.

“This can be discussed privately. I can’t clear the air in just a few lines,” he was quoted as saying.

Aki Mizusawa was a popular Japanese sex siren in the 1980s
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Poor Jackie

Can't even flirt with a cute gal at CPPCC without catching some flack...
    Tactile Jackie Chan shrugs off controversy over cuddle with singer at CPPCC meeting
    Actor says criticism online of his greeting of a singer at a forum in Beijing was over the top
    PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 18 March, 2014, 1:06pm UPDATED : Tuesday, 18 March, 2014, 5:17pm
    Darren Wee darren.wee@scmp.com

First came the hand on the shoulder. Then a slight bend to get level with his target. And before she knew it singer Song Zuying had Jackie Chan nuzzling up to her, cheek-to-cheek.

Photos of the filmstar cuddling up to Song during an art and culture group meeting at the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference last week caused something of a stir on social media.

But Chan has dismissed the controversy, describing the comments as “a lot of fuss about nothing”, according to a mainland media report

At a press conference to publicise his forthcoming birthday concert he told reporters he was a friendly and tactile man and had been amazed at the online reaction to the pictures, the China News Service reported.

Some had accused him of flirting with the 47-year-old singer, who is the director of a PLA song and dance troupe.

Others reminded him he was attending the country’s top political advisory body - not going to a night club or out on a date.

“That day, I was behind her. She turned her head, saw me and said ‘Oh, it’s you,’” he said.

“I’m always like this. Only this time it was photographed and published.”

Illustrating what had happened at the press conference on Monday he moved close to the hostess, Chun Ni, and twice pressed his cheek next to hers.

“Do you want to be in the headlines?” he laughed. “It’s a lot fuss about nothing. This is a very normal thing,” he said.

Chan has invited 1,000 fans from 52 countries to his 60th birthday concert on April 6 in Beijing, according to the report.

He will foot the bill for travel costs and take his guests on a tour of the Forbidden City and the Great Wall before a visit to a restaurant where they will eat authentic Peking duck.

In addition they will all be flown to Shanghai to visit the Jackie Chan Museum.

Stars including Jay Chou, Wang Lee-hom, Coco Lee and Kim Hee-sun have confirmed they will attend the concert, although the report did not make clear who would be performing.

When asked if he would invite Song to the event, Chan said: “I have invited too many people this time. If I invite Song Zuying then I’ll also have to invite [folk singers] Chen Sisi and Liu Huanhuan.

“It’s very hard to choose who to invite and who not to invite.”

Chan has made headlines in recent months for a string of remarks that have upset various groups. In October last year he was quoted as saying that he would like to see some countries be struck by a tsunami or an earthquake.

And he has several times infuriated Hongkongers by stating that the city's residents should not be allowed to protest freely on the streets.

His outbursts haven't been limited to criticism of Asian nations. He blasted the United States as "the most corrupt country in the world".
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

JC has openly admitted in the past that he has a mistress or mistresses. So I'm certain his wife was aware of at least some of them, and apparently she hasn't seen it as problem enough to leave him.

However, now it looks like he's one of those 'old guys' whose filters are no longer functioning. I respect the hell out of JC for his movie career. But to say that he'd like to see some countries be struck by earthquake or tsunami is idiotic, I don't care who says it. I wonder how he'd feel if it happened in China? And particularly if it were he himself or the people he loved caught in the tsunami or quake?

Also, regarding JC's right to free speech, it seems he's the one who wants to muzzle others' right to free speech.

JC has done some great things onscreen and off, and he deserves full recognition for that. That doesn't mean that some of the things he says aren't seriously flawed.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 03-18-2014 at 09:35 AM.

a fake

Worthy of note as there are so many fakes in martial arts and it's always good to remind ourselves of this.

JACKIE CHAN AFFAIR RUMOR WITH MIZUSAWA AKI FIRED UP BY NETIZENS
    by Carol on May 23, 2014
    IDOL NEWS AND RUMORS

He is yet caught up in another relationship rumor all caused by a photo.

This time the rumor involves Japanese actress Mizusawa Aki. A photo of a very young looking Jackie Chan embracing a nude women circulated online, it has become a hot issue of discussion.

Netizens claimed that the women looked like Mizusawa Aki. During a variety show last December Aki herself claimed that she had an affair with Jackie, so netizens were speculating the photo to be real from their affair. She stated that when she was younger she met Jackie in Spain when she was a correspondent for Fuji Television Network, and went to interview him while he was filming Wheels on Meals in 1984.

Aki had said they started dating afterwards and often visited Spain to maintain their relationship. She praised Jackie and even said they met in Japan a few years ago, but her claims were ignored by netizens due to the lack of evidence.

The photo above was quickly found out to be fake, and someone had photoshopped their faces on it. This was the original photo,

With the fake photo spreading like wildfire, media outlets began digging up the past to find evidence. The media did confirm that Jackie was indeed in Spain in 1984 for the filming, and at that time he was already married to Joan Lin with a one year old child, Jaycee Chan.

Netizens also said the women in the photo resemble Hong Kong actress Charlie Yeung, but her agency has stepped up to deny the ridiculous rumors.

“This is a joke; it’s obvious that the editing work done on this picture is very haphazard. This whole incident is too funny; everyone should know that Jackie had just celebrated his 60th birthday. The ‘Jackie’ in the photo looks to be about 20 to 30 years old; at that time, Charlie couldn’t have been more than 10 years old.”

Some people have too much free time on their hands to photoshop such a photo and cause trouble.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Weed is funny in China. Where I was it grows wild all over the place...people just go out on their e-bikes and drive around until they find some. 100 grams of that is VERY different from 100 grams of what we have over here.
    Other than foreigners, the vast majority of people I saw smoking it were old farmers. Most people don't even know what it smells like. So of course China treats it like any other illegal drug...but hey, so did the U.S. until very recently. It's a shame.

seems he might get 3 years... the other guy has already been released..sad sad sad

aw man....

If it's not Jaycee-Chan-s-PRC-drug-bust, it's another son?!?!

Jackie Chan's ex-lover Elaine Ng 'arrested on suspicion of child cruelty'
    Published on Mar 13, 2015 11:17 PM

Jackie Chan and Elaine Ng in a file photo. The former lover of movie star Jackie Chan has been arrested after allegedly hitting her daughter. -- PHOTO: APPLE DAILY

The former lover of movie star Jackie Chan has been arrested after allegedly hitting her daughter.

Elaine Ng Yi-lei was “arrested on suspicion of cruelty" to a child, a police source said on Friday, according to a report in the South China Morning Post.

The source said Ng's daughter, Ng Cheuk-lam, told staff at her school that she had been assaulted by her mother and that they reported the case to the police.

Ng claims that Cheuk-lam is Chan's child.

After preliminary investigations, police suspected that Ng may have hit her daughter on the arm at their home in Tai Po, the SCMP said, and arrested Ng on Wednesday.

The girl did not appear to have any visible injuries, police later said.

According to the SCMP source, a search of Ng's home revealed a small amount of what appeared to be illegal narcotics, but further tests were needed.

The source said police needed to carry out further investigations to establish whether it was Ng, her daughter, or their domestic helper, who possessed the substance.

Ng was released on bail and asked to report back to police in mid-May.

In an interview with local media at her home on Friday, said the SCMP, Ng - speaking from behind window blinds - said her daughter was still in hospital but insisted she had not abused her.

“Children are sometimes naughty, and they do something wrong when they are naughty,” Ng was heard saying in a video clip of the interview.

“I think adults can deal with these things… But first (of all), I did not hit her like that, and secondly, she did not keep drugs.”

In January, Jackie Chan’s son, Jaycee, 32, was jailed for six months and fined 2,000 yuan (S$430) in Beijing for accommodating drug users.

Jaycee tested positive for marijuana, and a stash of marijuana - 117.72g of it - was stashed in a safe in a bedroom.

Elaine Ng is an actress and was the winner of Miss Asia, a beauty pageant hosted by ATV, in 1990, said the SCMP. She announced that she was pregnant in 1999 and disclosed that she had an affair with Jackie Chan after public speculation. Jackie Chan, in response, said he had “only committed a fault that every single man in the world commits”.

Chan’s current employer, online radio station DBC, said it would keep close track with the development of the event but would not comment because it had entered legal process, the SCMP reported.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

It said she hit her on the arm. Was it a light-to-medium slap on the arm, or a full-bodied punch? Apparently the girl had no injuries from it. In SOME (many) cases, allegations of 'abuse' are not really abuse at all. My father wasn't abusive in the least, but when I was young and was way out of line, I got worse than a little hit on the arm, and deservedly so. Not a beating, mind you, but much more than a little swat on the arm. In a lot of allegations, the kid is being an entitled, spoiled brat.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 03-13-2015 at 09:57 AM.

Hold the phone....

Bawang? BAWANG?!?!?

‘Jackie Chan’ BaWang shampoo in HK$630m legal lather
    PUBLISHED : Monday, 16 March, 2015, 10:53pm
    UPDATED : Monday, 16 March, 2015, 10:53pm

Thomas Chan thomas.chan@scmp.com

A still capture from the advertisement featuring Jackie Chan.

A journalist told a HK$630 million defamation hearing yesterday how she came to write an article alleging shampoos advertised by Jackie Chan could cause cancer.

BaWang International is suing Next Magazine claiming the article by Lam Yu-ting, which appeared on its pages on July 14, 2010, led to a 20 per cent slump in its share price.

Lam, a defence witness for the publisher, said the article was based on the results of laboratory tests carried out on BaWang shampoos and expert opinion.

Benjamin Yu SC, for Next Magazine, read the opening paragraph of the article in Chinese. It alleged the shampoos contained carcinogenic substance 1,4-Dioxane and long-term contact could harm liver function and even cause cancer.

Lam, who now works as a creative writer for Now TV, said: "I based it on the test results … and a conversation with Dr Lau Fei-lung and Dr Lam Hon-wah."

The High Court heard that a "Mr Chan", a BaWang customer, had approached Next Magazine with the claim that the shampoos were carcinogenic. "It was transferred to the current affairs department for a period of time … I could not see any [earlier] stories [on this complaint]," Lam said. "Then I asked [my senior] if further investigation was required."

Her editor asked her to research the claim and see whether it could be turned into a story, Lam added.

The court heard BaWang was claiming HK$630 million for loss of business and advertising expenses incurred restoring consumer confidence.

BaWang's revenue reached 930.8 million yuan (HK$1.17 billion) in the first six months of 2010 and profits rose by 47.1 per cent.

The financial statement "shows how beautiful the prospect of the plaintiff's business was shortly before the publication of this article", said Jason Pow Wing-nin SC, for BaWang.

The hearing continues today.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Yet another death hoax

Hoax 2011

Hoax 2013

Maybe it's every odd year now?

Jackie Chan death hoax: Kung Fu legend denies death rumours on Facebook
    By Simi John
    May 19, 2015 09:17 BST

Jackie Chan squashed death rumours on his official Facebook account Getty

Hollywood actor and Kung Fu legend Jackie Chan once again became the victim of a celebrity death hoax.

Rumours that the 61-year-old Hong Kong-born actor is no more, started doing the rounds on Twitter and Facebook, with many social media users posting condolences.

The Karate Kid actor took to his official Facebook account to prove that he is still alive and kicking.

"I was shocked by two news reports when I got off the plane. First of all, don't worry! I'm still alive. Second, don't believe the scam on Weibo using my name about the Red Pockets," he wrote. "This is my official Facebook page and I only have 1 official Weibo page. Love you all!"

In 2013, fake reports had emerged that the Rush Hour star died while filming a movie in Kitzbühel, Austria.

Numerous celebrities have been at the receiving end of similar hoaxes, and the list keeps growing.

In the past, people have tweeted about the deaths of Bill Cosby, Bill Nye the Science Guy, Reese Witherspoon, Robert Pattinson, Margaret Thatcher, Phil Collins, Kris Jenner, Denzel Washington, Adele, John Witherspoon, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga.

A death hoax involving the Fast & Furious star Paul Walker was doing the rounds on the internet on the eve of his actual demise in a car crash in Los Angeles.

Meanwhile, Oscar-winning actor Morgan Freeman personally came forward to clear rumours and mocked fake stories suggesting he had died, and assured fans that he was alive and well.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips