Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Jackie Chan scandals

If Jackie needs a dinner date, I'm free.

Jackie Chan dined with two stars. Hong Kong is not amused
    Photo: EPA/Dan Himbrechts
    by Stephanie Ma

Taiwanese megastar Jay Chou and X Japan leader Yoshiki are facing a backlash for hanging out with Jackie Chan.

Chou and Yoshiki were panned on social media by their fans after they shared pictures of themselves having dinner with Chan on Wednesday.

While the Hong Kong-born actor is widely adored globally for his kung-fu movies, Chan is spurned by many at home in Hong Kong for being pro-Beijing and dismissive toward the city’s aspiration for democracy.

jaychou
    Verified

353,881 likes
    jaychou's profile picture
    jaychou
    Verified
    祝大哥新專輯大賣🎊🎊 @jackiechan
    6d
    The musicians’ association with Chan didn’t sit well with their fans as Hong Kong was wrapping up a series of massive demonstrations against a controversial law allowing extraditions from the semi-autonomous city to mainland China.

When asked his opinion about the protests while promoting his new album last Tuesday in Taipei, Chan said he was unaware of the rally.

“I only just found out yesterday that there was a big parade in Hong Kong. I don't know anything about it,” he said.

Jackie Chan attends the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference in Beijing in March 2018. Photo: AFP/Wang Zhao

Two days before he spoke, Hong Kong saw one of the largest marches in its history, as opposition to the extradition bill made international headlines.

Chan is also remembered in Hong Kong and Taiwan for openly dissing the two places at an international forum in 2009.

“I’m not sure if it’s good to have freedom or not. I’m really confused now. If you’re too free, you’re like the way Hong Kong is now. It’s very chaotic. Taiwan is also very chaotic,” he said.

Chou was criticized for being ignorant of Hong Kong’s political situation after he posted Wednesday on Instagram a picture with Chan, captioned: “Wishing Big Brother big sales for his new album.”

View image on Twitter

Yoshiki

@YoshikiOfficial
    Wonderful dinner with #JackieChan .#ジャッキーチェン @EyeOfJackieChanhttps://www.instagram.com/p/BynBkdCA8l8/

5:41 AM - Jun 12, 2019
    3,047 people are talking about this
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    Yoshiki, drummer and leader of Japanese rock band X Japan, even issued an apology after sharing a picture on the same day of himself having a “wonderful dinner” with Chan.

"My dear fans, if any of my posts made you feel like... I'm not considering any situation, I deeply apologize. I really care about all my fans and friends," he tweeted on Friday.

STEPHANIE MA
    Stephanie Ma is an intern reporter at Inkstone.

THREADS
    Hong kong protests
    Jackie Chan scandals
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Bruce v Jackie

Hong Kong protests embrace Bruce Lee but reject Jackie Chan in tale of two martial arts heroes

Bruce Lee becomes a symbol for young demonstrators and their ‘formless’ guerilla tactics in defiance of China’s unpopular extradition law

But Jackie Chan, already vilified for his pro-Beijing stance, feigns ignorance of historic marches in his home city

Nicolas Atkin
    Published: 1:00pm, 29 Jun, 2019

Protesters march in Hong Kong against an extradition bill. A number have been channelling the spirit of Bruce Lee, whose statue is seen in Tsim Sha Tsui. Photos: AFP/Sam Tsang

Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan may be Hong Kong’s two most famous martial arts sons, but the kung fu superstars are like chalk and cheese to the protesters taking part in historic marches against the city’s extradition bill.
    Enter The Dragon star Lee’s famous “Be water, my friend” saying has become a clarion call among the young protesters demanding Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor withdraw the unpopular legislation which would have allowed for the transfer of fugitive suspects to mainland China and other jurisdictions with which Hong Kong has no extradition deal.
    Lee’s words have also inspired a new form of guerilla tactics that has outfoxed the police and given the government headaches, with protesters moving in unexpected waves, rolling from one spot to another.
    Spontaneous road blockades and the circling of buildings have replaced the prolonged mass sit-ins of the 2014 Occupy movement, creating a “formless” protest.

View image on Twitter

Mary Hui
    @maryhui
    One Hong Kong protester channeling Bruce Lee philosophy.

8:07 PM - Jun 25, 2019
    29 people are talking about this
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    “We are formless, we are shapeless, we can flow, we can crash, we are like water, we are Hongkongers!” read one protester’s sign channelling Lee’s philosophy.
    Protesters are also wearing T-shirts and clothing bearing Lee’s words and likeness, with the martial arts icon becoming a symbol of the movement.
    Drunken Master star Chan, on the other hand, feigned ignorance of the protests when asked during a trip to Taiwan to promote his new album, I Am Jackie Chan.
    The visit coincided with police firing tear gas in clashes with demonstrators as tens of thousands surrounded the Legislative Council building in Hong Kong.
    “I only found out yesterday there was a big march in Hong Kong. I don’t know anything about it,” Chan said, despite images of two million marchers being widely disseminated around the world.

Hong Kong actor and singer Jackie Chan at an event announcing his new album in Taipei. Photo: AP

It was a less controversial take than his 2014 comments, when he weighed in on Beijing’s side and said he was “worried” about damage to Hong Kong’s financial markets during the occupation of key commercial districts, and called for a “return to rationality”.
    “I am willing to work hard with everyone … to face the future, love our country, love our Hong Kong,” he added.
    Well, Chan may love Hong Kong, but does Hong Kong love him any more?

jaychou
    Verified

358,035 likes
    jaychou
    Verified
    祝大哥新專輯大賣🎊🎊 @jackiechan
    2w
    Hong Kong was not amused when Chan dined with two music stars earlier this month. Taiwanese megastar Jay Chou and X Japan leader Yoshiki faced an online backlash after sharing pictures on social media of themselves hanging out with the 65-year-old, who is a member of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference. The legislative advisory body in Beijing is largely made up of members of the Chinese Communist Party.
    The Hong Kong-born actor is adored around the world for his famous kung fu films like the Rush Hour series, but his pro-Beijing views and dismissals of the democracy movement are unlikely to endear him to protesters, two million of whom marched on June 16.
    “I’m not sure if it’s good to have freedom or not,” he said in 2009. “I’m really confused now. If you’re too free, you’re like the way Hong Kong is now. It’s very chaotic. Taiwan is also very chaotic.”
    But while Chan is opposed to chaos, Lee embraced it in his teachings.
    “In the middle of chaos lies opportunity,” was one of his famous idioms. “Out of chaos, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony,” was another.
    Hong Kong’s protesters believe they are taking their opportunity amid the chaos to have their voices heard by the world. They say they are trying to bring the city together as one in harmony against China’s increasing curbs on their freedoms.

Demonstrators protest outside police headquarters, demanding Hong Kong’s leaders step down and withdraw the extradition bill. Photo: Reuters/Tyrone Siu

If Lee was alive today, who knows whether he would weigh in on the side of the protesters? Stardom and success often comes with a price to pay for Chinese actors and celebrities.
    Hong Kong film stars Andy Lau, Leon Lai, Donnie Yen, John Woo, Sun Xing and Tony Leung Ka-fai all starred with Chan in the 2009 Chinese propaganda blockbuster Founding of a Republic. The epic was made by the state-owned China Film Group, and marked the 60th anniversary of the Communist revolution and featured a cast made up of almost 200 of China’s best-known stars.
    Perhaps Lee would go the way of China’s other martial arts megastar Jet Li, who has naturalised himself in Singapore away from all the controversy – though Li also starred in Founding of a Republic.

Protesters make an appeal to consulates for the G20 Summit. Photo: Felix Wong

There is of course no way to tell. But Lee’s legend is being immortalised by a new generation of Hongkongers who have made him a symbol for their cause. The legend of Bruce Lee is only being enhanced (as if it needed to be any more).
    Chan, meanwhile, continues to turn a blind eye to what is going on in his home city. Maybe his PR people have told him it’s not a good look to make a big fuss again, something he probably doesn’t need telling.
    But with the eyes of the world on Hong Kong, Chan will not be able to escape the questions forever. Sooner or later he will have to answer, and his reputation could suffer, depending on what he says.

This article appeared in the South China Morning Post print edition as: Lee closer to their hearts than Chan
    THREADS
    Hong kong protests
    Jackie Chan scandals
    Bruce Lee Memorials
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jackie & Tony

Both Jackie & Tony are taking a lot of heat for this.

Jackie Chan and Tony Leung Ka-fai Voice Opposition to Hong Kong Pro-Democracy Protests
    As the uprising enters its 10th week, top celebs native to the former British colony take controversial stances.
    Tambay Obenson
    Aug 14, 2019 6:17 pm

Top Photo Corporation/Shutterstock

As Hong Kong heads into a 10th week of mass demonstrations against a controversial China extradition bill, facing a major political crisis, high-profile local natives Jackie Chan and Tony Leung Ka-fai have publicly thrown their weight behind Beijing over the mass protests that have swept the former British colonial outpost since March.

In an interview with Chinese state broadcaster CCTV, Chan said (via Variety) it is “heartbreaking and worrying for many” to witness the gripping violence of the mass unrest, and that he supported the state TV’s campaign to protect the national flag “desecrated” by protesters. Specifically, Chan was referring to an incident in which pro-democracy protesters had thrown the flag of the People’s Republic of China into the sea.

“On one hand, I needed to express my most basic patriotism as a Hong Kong citizen and a Chinese,” Chan said. “I am also one of the flag guards. On the other hand, I hoped to express our collective voice through participating in such a campaign.”

Meanwhile, Tony Leung Ka-fai took part in a pro-police rally on June 30, where he posed with a sign reading, “Support the Police,” although he did not actually speak.

The controversial move by Chan might especially come as a surprise, given that he has long been Hong Kong’s most recognizable and influential export, launching a career that would thrive while the city was still under British colonial rule (it was handed back to China in 1997). Once considered a likely successor to Bruce Lee in Hong Kong cinema, Chan instead developed his own blended style of martial arts and screwball physical comedy which proved to be box office gold, en route to making him Hong Kong’s highest paid actor.

Leung, who burst onto the international scene after appearing in Jean-Jacques Annaud’s “The Lover” (1992), is also a film industry veteran, with a career that spans almost 40 years, earning four Best Actor Hong Kong Film Awards (the Hong Kong equivalent to the Oscars).

What could be motivating both actors to take pro-Beijing positions, especially Leung, could be the box office. Leung’s most recent film, “Chasing the Dragon II” was in mainland China theaters at the time he attended the pro-police rally, where it grossed $43.6 million (RMB306 million).

However, the 65-year-old Chan may have less on the line. His output isn’t anywhere as prolific as it was during his junior years, and, according to Forbes, already boasts a net worth of around $350 million.

But Chan is certainly not new to stepping into political minefields, and has often sided with mainland Chinese government stances on a number of contentious issues. For example, during the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, Chan spoke out against demonstrators attempting to draw attention to several grievances against the Chinese government. And in December 2012, Chan criticized Hong Kong as a “city of protest,” suggesting that demonstrators’ rights in Hong Kong should be limited.

The current movement against a controversial law has expanded into something significantly larger. The protest has evolved to millions marching through the streets. While the majority of protestors have been peaceful, it’s clear that all sides are becoming increasingly frustrated. Protestors are now demanding greater democracy, as well as an investigation into alleged police brutality against demonstrators. And Beijing has taken an increasingly firm tone, calling the protesters “arrogant lunatics” that represent a “tiny minority,” promising “imminent punishment” to those who engage in violence.

THREADS
    Hong Kong protests
    Jackie Chan scandals
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jc & hk

Here’s Why Jackie Chan Is Really Unpopular in Hong Kong
    One of Hong Kong's most famous exports has provoked the ire of the pro-democracy movement.
    By Heather Chen
    August 19, 2020, 5:25am

JACKIE CHAN ACCEPTS THE ALBERT R. BROCCOLI BRITANNIA AWARD FOR WORLDWIDE CONTRIBUTION TO ENTERTAINMENT ONSTAGE DURING THE 2019 BRITISH ACADEMY BRITANNIA AWARDS PRESENTED BY AMERICAN AIRLINES AND JAGUAR LAND ROVER AT THE BEVERLY HILTON HOTEL ON OCTOBER 25, 2019 IN BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA. PHOTO: KEVIN WINTER / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA / GETTY IMAGES VIA AFP

To the Western world, Jackie Chan is a martial arts hero and popular action film star. But in his birthplace of Hong Kong, Chan is deeply unpopular, particularly among the city’s pro-democracy movement.

“The West lauds Jackie Chan but they don’t understand him,” a popular Twitter account called Hong Kong World City that supports the Hong Kong pro-democracy movement told VICE News. “He isn’t this wholesome mascot that he makes himself out to be.”

Known in the cinematic world for his acrobatic fighting style and slapstick comedy, Chan—who also goes by his Chinese name Cheng Long—is easily one of Asia’s most recognizable and influential stars. He started out as a stuntman in the 1970s and worked his way to the top, rising to international superstardom after appearing alongside comedian Chris Tucker in the hit action-comedy franchise Rush Hour.

Chan has appeared in more than 200 films and shows to date and remains one of Hong Kong’s biggest names in the entertainment industry—with an estimated net worth of $400 million.

But Chan’s outspoken support for China’s ruling Communist Party has caused controversy in Hong Kong—he was even recruited to join the party’s political advisory body.

In 2009, Chan questioned the idea of a free press and said that Chinese control was a positive thing.

“I’m not sure if it’s good to have freedom or not,” he said at a conference in 2009. “I’m gradually beginning to feel that we Chinese need to be controlled. If we’re not being controlled, we’ll just do what we want.”

Hong Kong World City referenced Chan’s comments in a recent tweet, explaining why people in Hong Kong are not fans of Chan.

“His support among fans in Hong Kong is bone dry because of the controversial beliefs he holds—that people here and in Taiwan belong to mainland China and therefore, do not deserve freedom,” the Twitter page told VICE News. “His words are unfathomable and unforgivable.”

Chan criticized Hong Kong’s renewed pro-democracy protests in a televised 2019 state TV interview, reiterating his pro-China stance and expressing hopes for the city to “return to peace”.

“The recent events in Hong Kong are sad and depressing,” Chan said. “Hong Kong and China are my birthplaces and my home. China is my country and I love my country.”

Most recently, Chan voiced his support for the controversial national security law imposed on Hong Kong by China. The law bans all forms of secession, subversion, terrorism, and collusion with a foreign country, and threatens a maximum penalty of life in prison.

Chan added his signature to a group statement that read: “We fully understand the importance of safeguarding national security for Hong Kong and support the decision of the National People’s Congress on Hong Kong’s national security law.”

In response, Hong Kong and Taiwanese netizens were quick to label him “a two-faced scumbag” and “a deviant traitor”.

“Instead of raising awareness and safeguarding Hong Kong’s security and core values, Cheng Long rides on his political status with mainland China,” Lo Kin-hei, vice-chairman of Hong Kong’s Democratic Party, told VICE News.

“He may have been well-liked and respected as an actor in the 1980s and 1990s but things have changed. There is a lot of hatred for him in Hong Kong now and he is no longer in any position to accurately represent our city and its people.”

Chan was also the subject of a political art campaign by popular Chinese-Australian artist Badiucao.

“When you stand with the Chinese government, you stand with violence, censorship, concentration camps and ethnic cleansing,” the political cartoonist told VICE News.

“Jackie Chan is one of Hong Kong’s biggest names. He has a social responsibility to speak out about what’s happening in his home city but instead, he defends Beijing-backed violence and police brutality. Cheng Long may be an idol to many Chinese people but he is misusing his fame and influence by allying with the Communist Party to betray not only Hong Kong but himself.”

The artist added: “Democracy helps artists by giving us the freedom to create work. Jackie Chan is an enemy of democracy.”

The mainland Chinese market is a lucrative one that wields power and influence over Hollywood. To anger China would mean paying the price with one’s career, John Lee, a senior fellow at the Hudson Institute in Washington, D.C., and an adjunct professor at the U.S. Studies Center in Sydney, Australia previously told VICE News.

“There are potentially serious commercial consequences for celebrities and entertainment executives who make sensitive comments that are deemed as being critical of China and the Communist Party,” Lee said.

“China’s box office revenue is valued at almost $10 billion, which makes it the second-largest in the world after the United States and there are estimates that this figure will even double,” he added. “Mainland Chinese audiences are also a highly influential market that the U.S. and other regional film industries are all seeking to expand into.”

The turbulent anti-government protests that have roiled Hong Kong for years have also split its entertainment industry.

Celebrity figures like Chan and Ip Man star Donnie Yen, who is featured in the upcoming Disney live-action reboot of Mulan, are rewarded for loyalty in promoting China and the Communist Party. But fellow veteran Hong Kong stars like actor Chow Yun-fat and Cantopop singer Denise Ho, who have thrown their support behind the Hong Kong pro-democracy movement, have paid the price with their careers.

“There is a sense of betrayal and hypocrisy, given that Jackie was born in Hong Kong and presumably enjoyed the freedoms that the territory offered,” Lee told VICE News.

“This benefitted his career greatly,” Lee added. “But today he articulates the same propaganda messages as the Chinese government on highly sensitive and political issues, emphasizing the importance of patriotism and stability rather than freedom and democracy.”

Representatives for Chan did not immediately respond to VICE News for this story.
    Threads
    Jackie Chan Scandals
    HK Protests
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jackie loses his condos

Beijing closing in on him?
    Kung Fu star Jackie Chan's luxury Beijing condos are seized and put up for auction for £7.8million following ownership dispute
    The two high-end properties in downtown Beijing will be auctioned this month
    Chan's condos cover over 13,000-square-foot and are valued at nearly £11million
    They were seized and put up for sale due to a legal row between real estate firms
    The international action star has lived there with his wife and son since 2007
    By AFP
    PUBLISHED: 06:43 EDT, 1 September 2020 | UPDATED: 07:44 EDT, 1 September 2020

Two luxury Beijing apartments seized from martial arts film star Jackie Chan will be put up for auction for nearly £8million due to an ownership dispute.

Chan and his wife Joan Lin and son Jaycee Chan have lived in the high-end condos, which cover more than 1,200 square metres (13,000 square feet) with a market value of nearly £11million, in the Chinese capital since 2007.

But a legal dispute between two real estate firms has resulted in the properties being commandeered and put up for sale, despite appeals by the Kung Fu star.

Two luxury Beijing apartments (pictured right) seized from martial arts film star Jackie Chan (pictured left) will be put up for auction for nearly £8million due to an ownership dispute

Security guards stand at the main gate to a luxury apartment building in Beijing where two flats were seized from Hong Kong-born actor Jackie Chan in an ownership row

The action star, 66, best known for hit movies 'Rush Hour' and 'Police Story', sparked controversy in 2013 when he joined China's top political advisory body despite being born in Hong Kong, where his reputation has taken a beating over his pro-Beijing stance.

Chan signed an agreement with Yujia Real Estate in 2006 to buy the two units, according to a court judgment published in July seen by AFP.

The flats are listed at Dongzhimen Inner Street, in a residential compound within Beijing’s second ring road.

The actor paid 13million yuan (£1.4million) - a 20.6million yuan (£2.2million) discount over the original purchase price, in exchange for a celebrity endorsement of the compound in a prime area of central Beijing.

But court papers outline problems including a change in Yujia's company name, as well as tax arrears, which delayed the transfer of the property rights to Chan.

The action star, 66, best known for hit movies 'Rush Hour' and 'Police Story', sparked controversy in 2013 when he joined China's top political advisory body despite being born in Hong Kong, where his reputation has taken a beating over his pro-Beijing stance

The action star Jackie Chan and his wife Joan Lin and son Jaycee Chan have lived in the high-end condos (pictured in Beijing on Tuesday), which cover more than 1,200 square metres (13,000 square feet) with a market value of nearly £11million, in the Chinese capital since 2007

Another developer, Tenhong Real Estate, later filed for arbitration with Yujia to settle debts and the two properties were among those seized in 2017.

According to an online listing seen by AFP, the price for the two flats in the Chinese capital will now start from 71.9million yuan (£7.8million), with bidding to begin later this month.

A virtual tour of the property showed a maze-like space with a pool table, at least two walk-in wardrobes, a wine fridge and a framed photograph of Chan meeting former US president Barack Obama.

The property was also the scene of a 2014 drug scandal involving Chan's son Jaycee, who served six months in a Chinese prison after he was found to be providing a venue for others to use drugs and possession of 100 grams (3.5 ounces) of marijuana.

The properties are now valued at more than 100million yuan (£10.9million), according to the auction listing.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Myth 2

Jackie Chan, 68, Said To Be Romancing 30-Year-Old Chinese Actress Gulinazha In New Movie
    Netizens are crying foul about the 38-year age difference, with one saying that Jackie’s old enough to play Gulinazha's grandfather instead.

Toh Ziyi
    24 Feb 2023 at 22:00

After 18 years, a sequel for martial arts fantasy-adventure film The Myth is finally in the works.

Though the cast has yet to be officially revealed, netizens have combed through social media to come up with a list of celebs who are most likely to be involved in the sequel, which will star martial arts legend Jackie Chan, 68, once again.

Hong Kong director Stanley Tong, who directed the original film, will serve as the sequel’s screenwriter this time instead.

The original film featured appearances by celebs like Tony Leung Ka-Fai, Korean actress Kim Hee Sun, and Indian actress Mallika Sherawat.

This time round, filming will take place in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, with the story revolving around a “wild and brave princess from the Western regions of China” and a “brave and strong general”.

Recently, a picture of Jackie and Uyghur Chinese actress Gulinazha, 30, on-set in Xinjiang was posted online.

Though the original poster did not give more details, netizens believe that the duo are involved in the sequel for The Myth.

Hello there, Li Chen (in beanie).
    Chinese actor Li Chen, 44, who is rumoured to be in the movie too was also spotted in the background of another video featuring Gulinazha.

Are they a good match?
    While some netizens were full of praise for the cast, with many commenting that Gulinazha is the perfect fit for the role of the princess, since Gulinazha does hail from Xinjiang.

Others were less enthused about the 38-year age gap between Jackie and the actress.

One netizen commented that Jackie’s "old enough to play Gulinazha's grandfather” instead, while another complained that Jackie’s "not as good at filming action movies now that he’s older".

A number of them also requested for Jackie to step down as the male lead, in favour of someone younger.

Jackie and Kim Hee Sun in The Myth.
    Photos: Gulnazar/Weibo, 娱圈胖胖/Weibo, Sinchew Daily
    Jackie-Chan-s-The-Myth
    Jackie-Chan-scandals
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips