Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Has WWIII Begun?

I've read the thread...

but don't have time to address the points in detail so here are a few random observations:

1) The Middle East has always been tit for tat. This has always been exacerbated by western intervention..

2) Israel was created by people stealing part of another country.

3) All parties then reneged on the border deals they'd been forced to accept.

4) Palestine/Israel are in a typical unbreakable violence scenario. The onus is on Israel to break this spiral as they hold more military and economic power.

5) Sooner or later it's going to take someone to step back and say, "We have to stop fighting." Hamas did this with their ceasefire, and then with their recognition of the Israeli state. This latter point esp was a miracle given how many members of Hamas would automatically want to kill the leadership for saying this, what Arafat knew was suicide to say. Israel did not take them up on this diplomatic olive branch and nor did the imperious western powers which maintained sanctions and pushed the extremists in Hamas to act against the majority in attacking the Israeli army and the first kidnapping. Given that Hamas's placatory actions were a once in a lifetime opportunity and the nature of Middle-eastern relationships dictates that it was going to be a short window of opportunity, the West and Israel were criminally negligent in allowing things to deterioriate so quickly and badly.

6) Of course the US (and other Western powers) shouldn't automatically support the Hamas govt because it is democratically elected, as it has many opposing ideologies. It should not however actively disrupt that democratic process by causing instability within the party... not through any ideological ideas necessarily but simply because there was no direct opposition or threat to the US (on the contrary greater regional stability through supporting efforts by Hamas to make concessions to Israel would have been beneficial) and therefore meddling for the sake of it or not intervening when they could have been useful is a rank failure of humanity.

7) The Israelis have every right to attack Hizbollah. They have no right to bomb civilian areas of Lebanon. This is even more cut and dried than it was in Iraq. At least in Iraq you had some measure of support for Saddam. Bombing Lebanese civilians is outrageous: the average Lebanese has no more means to get rid of the Hizbollah in their midst than did your average English person to get rid of the IRA within our midst.

8) The Israelis basically created Hizbollah through overreaction in the past. Although the Lebanese people for now recognise that the Israelis are after Hizbollah, the more bloodshed will lead to more marginalization and more clamouring for revenge, just as before, and just as Iraq, and just as Afghanistan. The Israelis acyions are causing more extremism.

9) Great to see you back Monkey Slap, with your insane anti-Islamic paranoia

10) And as for you DJ, the only thing that's been constant in your long years of posting on this forum has been your ability to flipflop snottily and obnoxiously. Congratulations David Januson .

6. Palestine is NOT an autonomous state and falls under the control of Israel. This can be changed, but the palestinian factions seem to want conflict as is more or less seen by their willful election of a terrorist oprganization
    Did you miss the bit where Hamas declared ceasefire and recognised the Israeli state? To blanket them as a terroist organisation would be wrong: any halfway awake Middle-east watcher can tell you that these organisations are very loose and not unified, in fact you've said as much yourself. The leaders of Hamas who made those very unpopular decisions (to make some gestures towards Israel and the international community against their own extremist factions) still had a mandate within the reasonable members of their party. To blanket them as just a uniform terrorist organisation presumably means you believe that there should be no inclusion of Sinn Fein in Parlaimentarian talks in the UK or that they should all be shot or imprisoned?

Is there a culture clash going on? Yes there is. Would you like to live in a global caliphate with little or no rights for women, a pathetic education system centered on only learning the text and interpretation of same from a book that is 1500 years old? Would you like to live in a society that has taken a step so far back in time that you wouldn't be able to enjoy any of the liberties or freedoms or civil rights or anything that we have come to build for ourselves over the last few hundred years.

Do you think sharia is a better way to live? Afghan women didn't seem to think so under the Taliban. in Fact, Sharia is what governs Iran, a totaletarian dictatorship run by a guy who has publicly called for the destruction of Israel. Yeah that would sit well with us wouldn't it.
    There is no culture clash. There is no one body of Islam any more than there is one body of Christianity. And every time the Bushes, Blairs and Olmerts stir up another hornets' nest of marginalization it only serves to highlight the inequality that causes such a spiral of violence in the first place and to destroy the very rights of the women and civil rights supporters who are campaigning every day slowly but surely to gain more rights.

Your choice of the sharia is particularly rich: at least half of the Palestinians are largely secular Arabs... and although our intervention in Afghanistan had helped to put a stop to the brutality of the Taliban regime that our very same leaders had helped to install in more meddling in the name of regional stability, our continued intervention with no clear objectives seems to be pushing them back into being a flourishing movement with again, highly marginalized and even more extreme support.

11) Zim, that Monkeysphere site is hilarious! But I don't agree...!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Mr. Punch

very insightful post

and Zim

two words

Hee Larious
    Words!

Just words!

Unhappy American dream

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster
    You cite our withdrawal of diplomatic ties with the PA as indicative of U.S. lack of support for democracy.
    Withdrawal of diplomatic ties shouldn't mean hurting a democratically elected goverment that poses no threat (yet, i hope) to the US by supporting a country that want's to wipe them off the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster
    we would withdraw some measure of support for any other administration, HAMAS or not, that held positions contrary to our own. We would at the very least use our power to try and convince them to change their minds.
    It would be lovely if the U.S. cuts relations with every country in the world. The world would be a much safer and richer place. IMF rings a bell? should i list the way IMF hurts poor countries?

I only disaggree with US foregin policies, i actually love American culture and the way you guys are locally.

anyway, those are my 2 cents.

Did you miss the bit where Hamas declared ceasefire and recognised the Israeli state?

yes, please point me to a link. Especially the part about recognizing the Israeli state.

Are you familiar with the history of Israel?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel

"Jews bought land from Ottoman and individual Arab landholders."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Israel

"By the mid-19th century, the Land of Israel was a part of the Ottoman Empire populated mostly by Muslim and Christian Arabs, as well as Jews, Greeks, Druze, Bedouins and other minorities. By 1844, Jews constituted the largest population group (and by 1890 an absolute majority) in a few cities, most notably Jerusalem."

On the other hand:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestine

"Israeli historian Yehoshua Porath believes that the notion of "large-scale immigration of Arabs from the neighboring countries" is a myth "proposed by Zionist writers""

Very well, he is probably right. You know, Google fuc.king exists (GFE). All sites are going to be biased. The difference is, sites like this: http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/...myths/mf1.html

at least they are somewhat self-critical: "Israel is not perfect" ... "Israelis themselves are their own harshest critics. If you want to read criticism of Israeli behavior, you do not need to seek out anti-Israel sources, you can pick up any Israeli newspaper and find no shortage of news and commentary critical of government policy."

So I don't even have to know all the details of who's right and who's wrong. I look for the info that is only 65% biased, rather than the info that is 95% biased. I say to myself that the one that is only 65% biased, must be the one with a better argument. That's what you find with the Israel-Arab conflict, over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by me
    Did you miss the bit where Hamas declared ceasefire and recognised the Israeli state?
    Quote Originally Posted by fa_jing
    yes, please point me to a link.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian
    Some European diplomats now regret their haste. The decision to cut aid as well as contacts with the Palestinians is seen as a mistake. Last month's French initiative to find a mechanism for resuming aid to Gaza was the Quartet's first admission of error.

Refusing contact with Hamas was equally mistaken, especially as Hamas had maintained a unilateral ceasefire for over a year (a point which Israel tries to suppress).
    Not unbiased but not too unreasonable (from here)

Quote Originally Posted by another Guardian article
    Nine Palestinians were killed in an Israeli air strike on the Gaza Strip today.
    The attack - which came less than a week after the killing of a family on a Gaza beach prompted Hamas to end its 16-month ceasefire - killed seven civilians and two Islamic Jihad militants.
    The second article is not particularly unbiased either (from here), and there were two militants killed in the strike. But two militants for seven civilians... makes a lot of grieving families with a higher potential for militancy.

Especially the part about recognizing the Israeli state.
    Hamas performs about turn on Israeli state

Are you familiar with the history of Israel?
    Not as much as I could be, but I think I have a working knowledge.

at least they are somewhat self-critical: "Israel is not perfect" ... "Israelis themselves are their own harshest critics. If you want to read criticism of Israeli behavior, you do not need to seek out anti-Israel sources, you can pick up any Israeli newspaper and find no shortage of news and commentary critical of government policy."
    Self-criticism means nothing if your actions don't change. It's like a Catholic confession.

So I don't even have to know all the details of who's right and who's wrong. I look for the info that is only 65% biased, rather than the info that is 95% biased. I say to myself that the one that is only 65% biased, must be the one with a better argument. That's what you find with the Israel-Arab conflict, over and over.
    That's reasonable - I certainly don't know, but it seems to me that both sides are wrong. And to some degree I agree with Crushing Fist: the focus on the past can only be an unhealthy concentration on revenge and feuding... some needs to press forwards and that'll take the bravery of a Sharon or maybe a Abbas, the bravery to take a peaceful concessionary stance despite opposition from within your own ranks.

BTW, don't have time to look for sources other than the Guardian to answer your request for links... been on here enough already today!
    Last edited by Mr Punch; 07-18-2006 at 07:22 PM.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

from the link you posted:

"but without formally recognising the Jewish state."

But that may be seen as a minor point to your argument. I'll agree with you that the Guardian is only 65% biased.

Well I wanted to counteract the most extreme arguments, Israel and other regional players' moves are certainly up for debate beyond that.

WWIII?

seems to be a lot of this talk going around...

Colbert's bit was Hee-Larious, anyone see that?
    Words!

Just words!

"9) Great to see you back Monkey Slap, with your insane anti-Islamic paranoia "

Glad to be back. What can I say, it's based upon historical fact and listening to sermons from the mosques and the lessons taught in orthodox islamic schools. I have good reason to be paranoid.

This of course, does not make all the people in the islamic areas bad people. Hell, this Lebanon thing is tearing me up, as some of the most modern, enlightened folks I've ever met from the Middle-East came from Lebanon.

When the Syrians left, we missed a real diplomatic opportunnity to prop up the democratically elected government through proxy - the Germans, Hungarians, whomever. Just not the French, as they just seem good at stealing money and saying that is how they defend the thirld-world from US 'imperialism'.

But I digress. Helping the Lebanese would have created a barrier in the region.

Now it is too late. And the 'Army of God' uses innocents as human shields. Which, against Israeli weapons is about as good as tissue paper.

I don't have a good answer for this, but I fear for the innocents in Lebanon.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

Speaking of Lebanon Israel just went and deliberately bombed a UN outpost. How's that for insane?

I mean they used guided missiles on an installation that has been UN held since the 70's. I don't care what "Mr. Wants to get into the history books as the guy who started WWIII" Olmert says, that was an intentional attack.

The question is... why?
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

good question.

there is a possibility of human error.

there is a possibility that the US is using Israel as a puppet to get things started so they can a do an all out war in the middle east and eradicate all opposition to the cause of the new world order, IE hezbollah, al q, al aqsa, hamas and unfriendly dictatorship governments.

the real danger of this is the politicizing of human strife.

Lebanese citizens do not by any means deserve to be attacked.
    But then, neither do Isareli citizens.

the cause has been lost over years of hate and aggression towards each other with small punctuations of peace and ceasefires here and there.

I think what Dr.Rice said was very telling in regards to how things will just be protracted and continue on teh same path if there is yet another ceasfire.

lebanon's army and government should be moving Hezbollah out of their country.
    They won't though.
    This could all very well backfire on Israel and the US of course despite their military power and conviction to get rid of these terrorist groups, by damaging civ populations they create hatred towards themselves and support for the groups that are at the root of the problem.

It is an ugly ugly situation and in all honesty, I think W is completely off base on pretty much all foreign policies and power grabs he makes.

It is complex and simple at the same time. Complex at a cause an effect level and simple at a level of common sense and decency of which no group seems to have much of after following this.

My original thought was that Israel would go in and take out Hezbollah targets to a point where they are no longer a threat.

My view is starting to change over to Isareal is acting as a puppet for the USA in order to ignite a situation in the middle east the will burn for years to come and ensure profit and power for everyone but the people that live there Isaraeli and Arab alike.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

My view is starting to change over to Isareal is acting as a puppet for the USA in order to ignite a situation in the middle east the will burn for years to come and ensure profit and power for everyone but the people that live there Isaraeli and Arab alike

Reply]
    How? Did Bush call isreal, and order them to have a foriegn contry start launcing missiles into thier cities? Does Isreal have the power to make another entity attack them out of the clear blue sky?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Post Terrorism.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon
    How? Did Bush call isreal, and order them to have a foriegn contry start launcing missiles into thier cities? Does Isreal have the power to make another entity attack them out of the clear blue sky?
    Bush didn't call Israel, they just supported them, and gave an ok to their attacks saying that "Israel has a rigth to defend itself". That unfortunate statement implies that Bush is biased towards Israel, supports their use of force, and won't be claiming a cease fire anytime soon. Nowadays, a statement like that from an American president kills hundreds of lifes. I know what hamas does, and how they killed Israelis as well, but its clear that an attack in such scale and excesive use of force by Israel wasn't necessary and will do nothing but seed more terrorism and hatred among everyone. Israel seems to be a good factory of terrorists this days. (US too).
    Actually, many countries are ignting this situation, like Iran and Syria in one side and the U.S on the other, trying to make Israel and Lebanon start a crisis in the area...
    Argentinian writer Jose Hernandes wrote about a father talking to his sons:
    "The brethren be united, that is the First Law, have true union all time, because if among themselves they fight, THEY WILL DEVOURED BY THE PEOPLE OUTSIDE" Martin Fierro by Jose Hernandes
    Last edited by emisosa; 07-27-2006 at 08:42 AM.

"Beware your enemies, for you shall become them."

Israel is no one's "Puppet'

and they were not attacked "out of the clear blue sky"

hello neighbor...can you say FUBAR?

I knew you could
    Words!

Just words!

Quo Vadis?
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

Quo Bono?

Words!

Just words!