Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MTV2's FINAL FU

MTV2's FINAL FU

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

It sounds like a very good program to showcase different MA styles across the states.

MTV is martial TV or musical TV?

Well... lots of "Do", but not enough "Fu". The cast is the usual MTV formula. I wonder how they'll work in a secret relationship and a hot tub... I watched maybe 5 minutes of it and turned it off.

TV bad... I'm gonna go train.
    If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.

Lucky Numbers 11, 8, 39, 46, 5, 17

Final Fu...PooPoo?

Wow that def takes my vote as worst show ever. I would rather watch the kung fu k-9 on the family channel.
    With everyone being TKD and Karate shouldnt they have called it Final Do(rk)?
    And they threw in a Wing Chun "master" as a fight judge. well thanks for the thought Reyes, but no thanks. I guess you had to be able to do 10ft spinning back kicks to get on the show. Cause if you cant kick bigfoot in the face your not a Martial artist.
    what a stupid challenge "bull in a china shop" well the bull part is right. These guys didnt even have to kick the targets. I think i saw that same challenge on family double dare!
    In the fight in the end the points were like 75 to 86....thats like 20 or 30 blows landed each.....and neither one got hurt...WTF? They should have just had a breakdance battle.
    I wish I had four hands, So I could give it four thumbs down!
    MTV2 should stick to reruns of punked and the Andy Milanocis show.

I am sure i will watch it again.....its like slowing down for a car crash. Kinda the same way i get stuck watching benny hinn perform his christian healing majic. Its so horrid but i cant make myself look away......

I caught the last ten minutes of an episode last night. The two guys with the lowest points had to "spar." They called it light contact sparring or some such, but when one guy made the slightest of contact with the other guy's head, they warned him, then deducted a point. It looked like an old school girly girl slap/pillow fight. One guy had the other one backing up the whole fight, was totally dominating him in their little silly game of tag, and still lost on points.

There's an XMA guy on the show, and they actually list that as his style. Nuff said.

I've said before on these boards that point sparring is the devil (more or less). It actually trains people to be worse fighters than if they had no training at all. Just watch an episode, and my point will be made, you'll see guys wading into each other throwing rapid fire strikes without any structure (because raw number of hits is all that counts), and without any effort to protect their heads.

My favorite part is the collective delusion among the participants. It takes me back to some of my very early training. The people participating really think that their performance in this competition represents some indication of genuine martial prowess, like the guy that can do a flying spinning back kick the highest and ****hest is the most dangerous person on the planet. I just can't believe there are still people who are so naive.

This show sucks ever so badly, because I also can't look away from such a trainwreck.
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

I feel like if this show goes on for another season, its ratings will mostly be contributed to 8 year old kids and people who can't stop watching its atrocity.
    If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.

Lucky Numbers 11, 8, 39, 46, 5, 17

Martial Arts reality shows

I haven't seen FINAL FU because it's MTV and I don't get MTV. But I think the concept of a martial arts reality show is intrinsically interesting. Didn't some American network do some sort of action star/stunt person reality show? And wasnt' Chuck Norris going to do something? Or did that morph into his team NHB show? I've heard there's one going in the UK - is it called FIGHT CLUB? China has a very popular one going right now called K-STAR. It's been going since April 2006 and they just held auditions in LA.

Are there more martial arts reality shows? I don't watch a lot of TV and I generally hate reality shows, um, except for America's Top Model .
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I friend of mine was telling me of a fight club type show that features sillicon Valley type nerds beating each other up with key boards and/or other equally absurd weapons of choice. Has anyone else seen such a show?

25 grand on the line. That alone makes me wish I made it back in time for the auditions last december. They mentioned they might call me back if they do a second season, so I hope it does well. A lot of these guys fight like pure TKD guys in that they look clueless in close range or are just spasming out with punches. The sparring matches are pretty much TKD matches allowing light leg contact and no head contact. I wonder how a good ole po pai would hold up in that environment. Btw, does anyone recognize that Wing Chun Master named Eric? Who is he? I didn't get a good look at him, but is that Eric Oram?
    Last edited by Eliver; 07-18-2006 at 11:26 PM.

You auditioned?

Tell us more about that, Eliver! We'd love to hear details.

Here are some links I just poached off jiayo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68kDGadsbvQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3mjcRVnJV4

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Well, I was finishing up my last month studying abroad in Taiwan last december when I saw the ad. I was going to return on the 20th, which was a little bit past the end of the auditions, but they saw my resume and were willing to give me a look and said they'd call me. When I got back, I didn't have any messages on my cell phone. Apparently, they left me a message the night before on the 19th. But I didn't get it until the night of the 21st. So when i finally called them back, they told me they already closed the auditions but would be willing to give me a look if they do this another season. I didn't feel too bad though. I'd actually like to get even better if I'm going to be representing wing chun. Showing from the clips, I think if i learned the dragon pole training, it might help.

so i watched the trainwreckof a show last night too. the one guy's style is EMC (extreme monkey combat). he said he and his friend made it up and he is a master of it. when these words came out of my television i actually punched myself in the face. i hope i gave myself a loud and clear message in case i am tempted to watch it again. furthermore, i feel as though any style that has the word extreme in it should automatically pull a jim jones (that would be so EXTREMEly awesome).

Thumbs down Extreme Lameness...

Everyone that has anything to do with that show deserves an "extreme asswhoopin'.

I think its would be a bad idea for any real fighter to go on that show.
    Wing chun especialy. The challenges and more so the sparing would be super stacked against you i.e. jumping kick worth 3 points. How much do we train ariel kicks in wing chun. And these challenges. you really dont need and fighting ability at all. Not to mention i just know that I would get kicked off first time i tried to fight because when the fists start flying i am going to punch one of them dudes in the face without thinking about it and knock thier ass out.
    The only challenge i kinda wanna see are the one where they have to hold the bowls on thier arms and keep em stait long as pos.....who wants to bet these TKDers all drop it in no time.

yeah, that's one thing I don't like. They're encouraging a lot of spinning and flying with the 3 point shots. I've done TKD for a long time as well, so I have no problem flying around if need be. But I'd probably feel like a kid in a toy store for the very first time if they allow leg kicks. Especially with all these guys flying around. In close range, like I said, all the guys we've seen just spasm out like they're having a seizure or they start running away. It looks like they'd be pretty screwed against someone who can hold their centerline (without grabbing) and start tapping away at their ribs. I'm actually looking forward to seeing the black guy who does boxing and kenpo just so i can see someone who will use his hands.

You'd also have some guys who try to turn it into full contact like that one white TKD dude (wow, that really narrowed it down didn't it?) last night. The second you try shoving your ego onto me like that with just kicks, i'm taking your leg out.

In the end, it's 25 grand. That's a lot of money I can use for tuition with my sifu and sihing and even possibly some BJJ classes on the side.
    Last edited by Eliver; 07-19-2006 at 05:40 PM.

I only have local TV channels. May be I will update my cable subscrpition.

There are many ways to have "game shows" on the TV.

May be call it fighting game show and not final or ultimate fu!

1. jepardy for MA history, theory and philosphy.

History for 200.
    Dong Hai Chuan. Who is the creator of Ba Gua Zhang.

Zhang Sen Feng. Who is the daoist priest theoried Tai Chi Quan.

--- who is the first teacher/ o sensei of Aikido.

--

2. pushhands, Shuai Jiao etc etc game shows.

3. look at the move or posture and name the move and the style.

white crane spread wing, yang tai chi.

Shun Shi Zhang the third old palm Cheng Ba Gua.

4. watch a clip and name the actor and movie. listen to a theme song and name the movie.

Shaolin soccer, Zhou Xing Chi 2001?
    --

etc etc.

Last edited by SPJ; 07-19-2006 at 07:37 PM.