Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training after leukaemia

Training after leukaemia

Last week is was diagnosed with leukaemia (M3 APL). Wondering if there is anyone who has been in a similar position as I'm writing this on my hospital terminal wondering if I will be able to continue my life's interest after treatment??? Any docs out there (AndrewS, mate?) that know what the future holds for me?????

Thanking you all in advance :-)
    Alasdair Kirby
    VingTzun Concepts
    www.vingtzun.co.uk

Alasdair,

check your PMs.

I presume you're getting ATRA + an anthracycline, followed by consolidation therapy, or have you been enrolled in a clinical trial?

If you're getting standard therapy, and things go well, you're going to be sick as h*ll and very tired for the next year or two. I would train very softly, as you can tolerate (think very soft taiji), avoiding taking any impact, or stressing your CNS. Bleeding complications characterize both the disease and the cure in this case so avoiding impact is non-negotiable. Should you achieve complete remission, looking like cure, I would still avoid anything where you're taking any sort of impact to the head, as relapse could present as a CNS (central nervous system) bleed, but vigorous exercise shouldn't be contraindicated.

Anything I can do to help, let me know,

Andrew

thank you. :-)

couldn't find anything on the net so it's a real dilema as to what the future will be. Will check my PMs and thank you so much for the advice.

guess judo is out of the question then!!!!!

decided not to go on phase 111 trial which compared Spanish Approach to Medical Research Council Approach. In the end gut feeling decided.

will speak soon
    Alasdair
    Alasdair Kirby
    VingTzun Concepts
    www.vingtzun.co.uk

Stay strong.

Enjoy the chi kung for as long as it takes!

Who knows? Your chi should be tiptop after a year or so...!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Alasdair,

Stay strong, brother!

I´ve been waiting for a kidney transplant for a year and a half, also been doing dialysis for two years. It has seriously changed my training from daily training to no training at all.

The support of my fellow Tang Lang family has helpped me a lot. Just going to the gwoon to check upon them is always a life-saver.

I´m very sceptic regarding the future, how to train with a transplant and so on.

I wish you the best of luck!! And keeping the training mental if nothing else.

Jari Vuorinen
    Fen Lan Tang Lang Men
    Helsinki, Finland
    www.tanglang.fi

Best of luck to you. I'm sure battling cancer will condition you to get through any challange life has to offer. Martial arts will be there when your feeling better.
    Bless you

You might also contact Helen Liang (you can see her ads and info in articles in Kung Fu magazine.

She was diagnosed with cancer (it may have be leukemia but I don't recall) and she did a lot of Qi Gong and other things and last I knew, was in remission.

If nothing else, she is a very upbeat and dedicated person so a dialog with her would be enlightening.

Alasdair,

My thoughts are with you, all the best and stay strong!

Alasdair,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis Buddy

Wish you all the best for a speedy recovery

Stay positive and keep your self occupied

Lots of instructionals to watch and learn from even though you're not training

Best wishes
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

thank you all, I start chemo tomorrow and as I lay here not wanting today to end, your words of support are much appreciated
    Alasdair Kirby
    VingTzun Concepts
    www.vingtzun.co.uk

Alasdair, my best wishes on you. Keep your chin up, and believe in yourself!

focus on beating this ur mental will be a big factor keep ur head up nva giv up ull be fine. it will b a big turning point in how u view life but ull b fine.
    Go hard or go home or some where else up to you

http://therandomandthefit.blogspot.com.au/

Think 'Lance Armstrong' (relatively similar illness, and similar therapies) ... you can definitely come back training HARD once you are cured. In fact perhaps harder than before, given the mental toughness going through an illness must develop.

Spirits up, learn heaps of theory whilst you are unable to practice (books, instructional videos, etc) and perhaps do some daily stretching and qigong or other low-impact "maintenance" work so that once it's all over you can get back to training quickly and efficiently.

Sister in law had leukemia at 25, including a relapse and two periods of chemio, the second even stronger than the first ... today she's 34, fully cured (6 years of remission without any relapse), and competes in amateur ironman triatlons! She was just a recreational ciclist before!

Best of luck!

Wall
    > it is your mind, that creates this world >

Neo
    in your mind ---make a choice ---simply LIVE !!! and accept not other possibilies
    i will be looking forward to meeting you one day in the near future and you handing me my @ss

If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Smile

In one word ''WOW''

feeling crap of sitting here and wired up to an intravenous. Like a physical chain. Hadn't been on forum for a couple of days so this has picked me up.

Wall, thanks for the recount, has lifted the spirits.

Jari, god willing you will get there and kick a**

thanks guys
    Alasdair Kirby
    VingTzun Concepts
    www.vingtzun.co.uk