Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Training after leukaemia

when not training enough reading and staying up to date is great.
    Bless you

dont give up

just dont give up man. be it least glad you werent 2 when this crap started going on. good luck
    "you might be in a fake cma school if your master claims to teach a style secretly passed down to him & nobody else called the Five Deadly Venoms"-forgot who

"With kungfu, if it is good method you will build the body and the mind. when these are strong, the spirit flourishes. That's the core of kungfu and again it circles back to 'you'."- david jamieson

P.S. i could be completely wrong

dude im really sorry i didn't see this sooner. im also surprised no one on here directed you to me.

i went through a bone marrow transplant in january of 2004 and here i am a year and a half later and i've never been in better shape. im lifting more than i ever have, training more than i ever have, whooping more ass than i ever have, getting beat up more than i ever have, and more importantly than all of that i'm actively being a better father, a better boyfriend, a better brother, uncle, and friend than i ever have.

they will tell you that you'll feel like **** for about a year. stay active and prove them wrong. at john hopkins they encouraged me to stay active even during the transplant. they had most people walk around the unit but i hit the treadmill and bike everyday. id do it for 10 - 12 minutes and i built myself up to what most people do to warm up, but by the time i left i was actually in better cardio shape than when i went in.

drink water. no seriously ... are you drinking some ... drink it. drink about a gallon a day (as your stomach can take it) and eat whatever you can. dont worry too much about what your eating .... if you get to the point that you can only stomach a certain tv dinner and sprite do it .... the nausea will pass then you can get back to salads and green tea and anything with tons of antioxidants.

play video games and read. read about taoisim or whatever your into spiritually. this will be a spiritual time for you ... take advantage of it. seriously .... people who have known me all my life are surprised at some of the things that come out of my mouth now.

it sucks that you cant train the way you want to, but right now you're busy training your character my man. im not talking out my ass either ... you are getting stronger in ways you cant imagine. when its said and done you will be a better person. hardship trains your very core in ways that only hardship can. you'll look at everything differently ... and you'll know that there is never a reason to ever take anything for granted. i had a rough 4 years of **** to deal with (i had to go through treatments twice as i dont think the doctors in my area were able to do what john hopkins did, but ill get into that more with you later if you want), but i wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. hell im almost a decent person now.

if it helps to have someone to talk to dont ****ing hesitate to IM me ... im available at work all day long. i had hodgekins lymphoma which is closely related to leukemia in treatment and the like ... or at least it is when the first 6mos chemo and radiation dont get rid of it such as in my case.

aim - PussDrippingAnus
    icq - 85583679
    yahoo - GunnedDownAtrocity

i also have an msn account if needed.
    where's my beer?

having been through some hardship myself in the past (nowhere near as hard as leukemia tho) that was a ****ing inspiring thing you wrote there gunneddownatrocity

and you aim name had me in stitches. you rock dude to cut that deep then crease me up in one go

lol thanks ... i like my aim name. i've always had a sick sense of humor and that came in handy during the whole cancer ordeal. my friends would sometimes call me powder because they would hear me say so much worse.

i guess thats another thing i could have mentioned neo .... never pass on an opportunity to laugh ... watch lots and lots of comedies. and always be the first to laugh at yourself. not only does it put others at ease but it really helps you feel better. when i had two central lines in my chest on either side i used to try to make them spin like tassles. it hurt a little and it didnt work so well, but the effort itself was pretty **** funny.

oh and if IM doesnt work out for you there's always my email gunneddownatrocity@gmail.com.
    Last edited by GunnedDownAtrocity; 07-27-2006 at 09:01 PM.
    where's my beer?

GDA,

beautifully put- one of the reasons I enjoy taking care of people- sometimes, in extremis, you see what a human *can* be.

Alasdair,

you're on my mind, if good will does anything you've got mine.

Andrew

GDA
    thank you so much for sharing your experience, you have inspired me and humbled me.
    just finished 1st cycle of chemo yesterday, still got hair on so far! had two infections, arm swelled up like a balloon and also developed clot. going down but still can't straighten arm. mouth infected so look like quasimodo! waiting for op to put chest line in then I too will have a couple of tassels to swing around!! first day temp has stayed down so things are doing okay.
    cant write for long as stupid terminal wiped out what I wrote when it updates payment fter 12 mins!
    so will sign off here, and say once again big thank you GDA for you message. and thank you andrew too.
    Alasdair Kirby
    VingTzun Concepts
    www.vingtzun.co.uk

not a problem at all dude. like i said if you ever need someone to talk to im here.

keep us updated dude.
    where's my beer?