Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name this form

Name this form

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sge4h...martial%20arts

Is it northren or southren?

Any ideals on the correct name for this form?

Contemporary Wushu. Northern. One of the Changquan forms.

Yup, what he said.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by taichi4eva
    Contemporary Wushu. Northern. One of the Changquan forms.
    what does this mean?

Is it the same as kung fu?

Uhh martialstudent maybe you should read the definition of "kung fu" as per stated by the wonderful folks here at KFM

That vid was a sad representation of that long fist form. but i guess he was a beginner. Now that wouldnt be YOU now would it?

Peace,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword
    Uhh martialstudent maybe you should read the definition of "kung fu" as per stated by the wonderful folks here at KFM

That vid was a sad representation of that long fist form. but i guess he was a beginner. Now that wouldnt be YOU now would it?

Peace,TWS
    was not me

we all start some were or maybe you were just gifted

Gifted? HA, i think not. im a tall lanky gwai lo. took me years to get at even a decent looking level of performance with respect to martial arts.

TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Quote Originally Posted by MARTIALSTUDANT
    was not me

we all start some were or maybe you were just gifted
    He was definitely a beginner. And yes, everyone has to start out somewhere. If I need to reaffirm myself that I'm making progress, all I have to do is look at pictures of myself when I started out.

Jiayo! (a Wushu website) used to have that particular form (done by a different person.) She had very strong basics, and good stances. I think it was called "Yi Lu Chanquan" or something like that. Didn't have the jumps and flips that Wushu is known for however, but I think it was Wushu. (Jiayo is currently down for now, except for the forums and photos.)

As for the difference betwen Wushu and Kung Fu... well, it's like this. Kung Fu means "skill acquired over time." it can mean skill in ANYTHING including Martial Arts. "Wushu" means "martial arts."

HOWEVER, when we say Wushu on here, 90% of the time we are reffering to "Modern Wushu." which is a standardized curriculum of Performance Art regulated by Mainland China. It is meant to be a "progressive" form of the ancient Chinese Combat arts, which, with the advent of Firearms are thought to be obsolete. Therefore combat application is not the aim of these forms.

Kung Fu or "Traditional Wushu" is used to describe the various forms of armed and unarmed combat that have their origins in China. This includes diverse forms such as Longfist (traditional, as opposed to the Modern Wushu versions.) Hung Gar (Hung Family Fist) Wing Chun, Praying Mantis, Choy Li Fut, Baji, Taijiquan, etc. It is the intent of these styles to teach a student how to fight (it is hard to find this in Tai Chi these days, but it can be found) as well as the other benefits that can be found in Martial Arts.

If you want to know the technical differences between the two, check out videos on Youtube bearing the names above. Then try searching under "Wushu" or "Chang Chuan." and you will see what we mean. Wushu Chang Chuan (Longfist) is based on the traditional versions, but embellishes heavily on them. Hope that helps.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

Its an old traditional form, that was adopted in the early 1900's by the wushu fed people. It's a basic form either way.

What happenned basically was that wushu did not have a curriculum standardized per se, so they got various masters to submit old traditional forms which they modified.

This form was among them.

It is very poorly don 32 posture Changquan.

By age, it is contemporary. Being a NEW form that was created since the 1950's. However, it was created early on before the move to flash over substance.

It was actually all but forgotten until recently. It was then dug up and made a part of the contemporary long fist curriculum in China.

It can be done flashy...or with the traditional flavor of Chaquan - but mostly you see the flashy flavor.

A bit of a misunderstanding : the age of a routine is not as important as the idea, flow, and flavor. 32 can flow quite logically after a person has learned Tan Tui. It CAN be done with focus and power. It IS an intermediate or advance beginner form with the idea to have short connected sections that have a brief pause and then another short section that flows. It was originally designed as a bridge from the simple forms of Tan Tui to more complex ideas (As can be seen by its very linear back and forth structure that is typical of beginner to intermediate northern sets.

Martialartstudent, do not listen to these morons.
    Uhh Maxwang, what about the comments posted are moronic? have we all not established the same fuking thing that YOU have? Who is the moron here? oh yeah you are in the buckeye state. nuff said

As Always,TWS

after wubu chuan (5 stance form) this is usually the first form taught to kids. there are 4 or 5 other long fist forms that consist of the basics.

this is a very poor performance too

our teacher teaches the first 3 forms normally (been doing so for the past 20 years and even when he was young learned them). they all have good foundation and basic work.
    Last edited by Shaolinlueb; 07-16-2006 at 06:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Yep, that is a very boring longfist form.

My daughter is much better than that guy, and she's only 7. Of course, she is doing something a little bit more interesting for her first form with sweeps, kick passes, stomp kicks, mantis fists, etc.

I'm trying to figure out how to break it to her that it's not a competition wushu form. I guess I'll have to enter her into open tournaments or something.

But the best part is she'll be able to scratch all those little wushu brats eyes out. They won't have a clue as to how to apply their stuff.

boring long fist? part one

Consider this position on long fist before being critical

TAKEN FROM www.adamhsu.com for educational purposes only, please excuse the usage.
    LONG FIST POWER
    Training the Complete Martial Artist & Complete Person
    by Adam Hsu
    Among a couple hundred Chinese martial art styles, it's a pretty safe bet to say that long fist (chang quan) is the largest style of them all. Now, if you count heads based only on the name "chang quan," you are likely to lose your bet. But as a matter of fact, as a matter of reality, long fist is truly the largest.

Some styles in this family are actually called "chang quan:" tai zhu chang quan (tai zhu long fist), jia men chang quan (Islamic style long fist), mei hua chang quan (mei flower long fist), and so forth. Others have totally different names, but still are long fist: for instance, mizong quan (lost track style) and even taiji quan (grand ultimate style). Yes, taiji quan is chang quan.

FOR THE REST about usage and misconceptions GO TO http://www.adamhsu.com/articles/long_fist_power.html

© Copyright 1999. Adam Chi Hsu. All Rights Reserved.
    Last edited by Sifu Darkfist; 07-16-2006 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Darkfist
    Consider this position on long fist before being critical

TAKEN FROM www.adamhsu.com for educational purposes only, please excuse the usage.
    LONG FIST POWER
    Training the Complete Martial Artist & Complete Person
    by Adam Hsu
    Among a couple hundred Chinese martial art styles, it's a pretty safe bet to say that long fist (chang quan) is the largest style of them all. Now, if you count heads based only on the name "chang quan," you are likely to lose your bet. But as a matter of fact, as a matter of reality, long fist is truly the largest.

Some styles in this family are actually called "chang quan:" tai zhu chang quan (tai zhu long fist), jia men chang quan (Islamic style long fist), mei hua chang quan (mei flower long fist), and so forth. Others have totally different names, but still are long fist: for instance, mizong quan (lost track style) and even taiji quan (grand ultimate style). Yes, taiji quan is chang quan.

© Copyright 1999. Adam Chi Hsu. All Rights Reserved.
    Whatever. Like I care what Adam Hsu says.

Yes, longfist may be the old basis of CMA but so fricking what?

That form is boring. I don't really care what Adam Hsu says ... just because something's old doesn't mean it's good.

Anyways, the form I taught my daughter as her first form is a lot similar to long fist. Except that instead of just a sideways punch, it's got a sideways mantis fist. There's sweeps, there's kick passes, there's stomp kicks for the pelvic area / kidneys... but it looks a lot like long fist.

Because long fist is good for kids to build up their flexibility when they're starting. But that's still a boring form.
    Last edited by neilhytholt; 07-16-2006 at 07:35 PM.