Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Got Thrown!

Quote Originally Posted by HearWa
    This IMHO is a very unethical thing to do. If they're giving you attitude ask them to stop it or walk out the door, don't try to injure them.
    Hey, I didn't start the tradition. It used to happen to me when I was younger, so I just return the favor. Somebody comes in acts like they're all great and know more than you do ... throwing huge attitude. You have to knock them down a few notches.

Plus, I don't really injure them (beyond some bruises). Just rough them up a bit ...

With karate guys sparring leg checks work really well for that. For throwing classes, high falls are always nice ... of course you land them right so they don't get hurt ... much.

But nice bruises from your hip and bruises on their thighs and calf where they land tend to make them much nicer the next day. If they come back.

Sifu should always show new students how to handle being thrown,and doing it safely.It could have been serious if you had landed badly and got hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFNTUFGIRL
    He had the class split by two's showing and practicing some blocking and elbow strikes. I don't know him, yet he decided to use me as his example, I guess. I didn't get a warning or know what he was going to show everyone. I am just wondering is it normal practice to use a newcomer as an example or is this person showing that he is inexperienced?
    I always play with guests.

Usually its a great way for them to see what you have and for you to show what you have because a relationship hasn't been set up yet.

I've counter punched boxers and have sprawled, gained position and submitted grapplers.... my money is on that this person didn't hurt you, just surprised you with the realism.

If you're not hurt, get over it. He respected you as a martial artists and didn't make a case about your experience or sex.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Rufntuf,
    how much experience do you have? If you have several years, and told this guy so, then Ray is right. He was respecting your skill and giving what he thought you would benefit from.

...(sigh) ok, that being said, if you have little or no experience, AND if he was not even aware of THAT, then it is inexcusable. He is an idiot who has no business teaching, He should stay in his garage, put the car on and shut the door.
    NO INSTRUCTOR throws a beginner. In Judo, Jiu-Jutsu, Hapkido, etc, the students spends the first several weeks or even months learning how to fall safely and properly, BEFORE he is taught throws, or is thrown, and is only thrown with less than full force. There is no excuse for stupidity. I am totally against any type of Gov't. Regulation of Martial Arts, but you can definately see why some people would see a need for it.
    (ok, let's not get into the whole regulation, anti-reg trip)

Your first time, your first lesson, the instructor was not executing proper duty of care towards you.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina
    If you're not hurt, get over it. He respected you as a martial artists and didn't make a case about your experience or sex.
    This is a great point.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    Your first time, your first lesson, the instructor was not executing proper duty of care towards you.
    Did he have a face like a dropped pie?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    Agreed. Wehn I have a neo, I usually so a hip throw on them. But I pick them up and hold them off the ground while I explain why it's not a good thing for their feet to be off the ground in a fight. Then I follow through and 'lay' them on the ground while I explain the idea of 'control' and that if they can throw softly, they can throw hard by default.

That's about when I grab one of my guys and blast him into the ground, lol.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

I was never on it?

Originally Posted by Ray Pina
    If you're not hurt, get over it. He respected you as a ma

I am not upset about it and I am physically fine, I can handle it, but I didn't think it was normal for an instructor to do that.

Everything depends on the situation. If you are brand new to MA you don't play with me, you learn from me. You learn pulling and pushing angles, shielding, we co-op.

If you come with a few years of Kung Fu training we chi sau... I'll land open handed shots on your torso that demonstrate the potential to be heavy and I'll gently sweep you off your feet ...... this will show the gaps in your training and that I at least have more proficiency. If I can teach that to you should be obvious within one or two classes.

If you've been boxing for a year or two I'll say grab some headgear and boxing gloves and I'll jam and lightly counter punch. If you say you've been boxing for 5 or more years, no head gear, just gloves, and chances are you'll be firing well and I'll be firing well.

If you wrestle, we wrestle.

Frankly, I'd aopreciate your teacher for being so hands on with you. A lot of teachers sit in the back room and let their seniors teach. No harm, no foul. This is martial arts .... you will fall, you will be punched, you will be kicked, locked, bruised and bloody.

Starting on day one with a fall seems alright. He might have been testing you

"NO INSTRUCTOR" throws on the first lesson? Nonsense.

If the guy has any skill I would be overjoyed that he threw me the first day.

Its just plain silly for small groups and individuals to spend days/weeks/months of breakfalling before being thrown. People should be punched, kicked, kneed, thrown, locked up, and choked many times withen the first few lessons. Otherwise your just being sold cirriculum, not learning how to fight.

There are obvious red lines and boundries. Hurting people is no good, even if they have been training for years and years, even in your school or system. Any one of us would know something was wrong and over the line the very second it happened.

There are a couple articles on judoinfo.com about the ridiculous amount of injuries begginners recieve during their first few months of training, almost all related to way too much pre-throwing breakfall training. It is not true that no judo instructor would throw a beginner. Any good instructor worth his salt would get his hands on new people, or make sure that someone expierenced did.

Still, we dont know if he picked her up and slammed her ala matt hughes or just tripped her and walked her into the floor.

strike!

I Went To Block Right And Then Strike Left, He Grabbed Me At That Point And Flung Me Over At An Angle And Down. I Was Giving No Attitude Whatsoever. I Went To A Class With My Cousin While I Was Visiting Her Area. He Had No Idea If I Was A Beginner Or Experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFNTUFGIRL
    I Went To Block Right And Then Strike Left, He Grabbed Me At That Point And Flung Me Over At An Angle And Down. I Was Giving No Attitude Whatsoever. I Went To A Class With My Cousin While I Was Visiting Her Area. He Had No Idea If I Was A Beginner Or Experienced.
    Your words say everything regarding your level of martial skill, from the way you describe the encounter, the actions taken and most of all the way you have accepted -- actually haven't accepted -- what has occured.

This is fine. Everyone starts somewhere and you'll either put your ego aside, pick yourself up and keep training, or pout that he had no right to do that to you.

I'm not sure if you were the poster who posted last week about how you kick box in Queens with men or not, but you presented yourself in a manner suggesting you have a certain degree of training. Accept the fact that you will be thrown, and if you're really serious about martial arts and really want to test yourself you will be hurt.

Regardless of all of that, if you've received no training at all, be the rough-n-tough girl that you are advertising. Right now, you are 100% supporting all those biased mens' posts a few weeks ago.
    Last edited by Ray Pina; 07-19-2006 at 11:58 AM.

Yeah, you showed experience, so he threw you.

But when you say at an angle and down, okay, that makes sense, but how did you land? Did he just let you fly to the ground, or did he keep hold of you?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina
    Your words say everything regarding your level of martial skill, from the way you describe the encounter, the actions taken and most of all the way you have accepted -- actually haven't accepted -- what has occured.

This is fine. Everyone starts somewhere and you'll either put your ego aside, pick yourself up and keep training, or pout that he had no right to do that to you.

I'm not sure if you were the poster who posted last week about how you kick box in Queens with men or not, but you presented yourself in a manner suggesting you have a certain degree of training. Accept the fact that you will be thrown, and if you're really serious about martial arts and really want to test yourself you will be hurt.

Regardless of all of that, if you've received no training at all, be the rough-n-tough girl that you are advertising. Right now, you are 100% supporting all those biased mens' posts a few weeks ago.
    No, do not misunderstand my post, I have very little MA experience. I teach kickboxing for different gyms, not in MA studios. The reason I pose the question is that my cousin wants to continue going for lessons at this person's home and she is young. I wanted to ask if this was normal practice. I am in no way biatching about the experience. As far as Ruf n Tuf well that name has nothing to do with MA. But it fits in a hokey kinda way, doesn't it?