Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: People get what they deserve

People get what they deserve

In regards to the endless (and I've been here a while) this vs that arguments, I've like to state one simple thing I've observed.

Students tend to find the teachers they deserve, and teachers attract the students they deserve. Everything else is incidental to that one main fact.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

So what brings this on all of a sudden?
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neilhytholt
    If I ever go to a school again, it's not going to be CMA, it's going to be MMA because at least they apply their sh*t without B.S.
    Bwahahaha.....

You know what's funny to me is that all these people that practice MMA, how many actually compete...what percentage...or is it just another STYLE filled with wannabes....only difference from CMA is its heroes and legends are televised.

Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pow
    Bwahahaha.....

You know what's funny to me is that all these people that practice MMA, how many actually compete...what percentage...or is it just another STYLE filled with wannabes....only difference from CMA is its heroes and legends are televised.
    I train to train. I don't train to fight.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    I train to train. I don't train to fight.
    Since you are the Patron Saint of Pain I thought maybe you trained for the pain!

Dude, don't comment on Choy Lay Fut. It's somthing you obviously know nothing about.

Blog Entries

I mean, let's take CLF for instance. How much time do you spend on form work versus practical applications?
    I can't speak for other CLF teachers but in MY CLASS we spend close to 1hr on "fundamentals" which includes the following:

-conditioning
    -single hand and foot techniques (some hands from Western boxing)
    -short combinations
    -2-man partner work including applications

The last 1/2 hr is spend on "level specific" work which includes forms. Eventually, we hope to have that last 1/2 hr include various kinds of San Shou (not to be confused with San Shou the sport, but could include that.)

This is different than how I learned CLF however. I don't let my beginning students learn any forms until they have completed a 3-month crash course in the "fundamentals." Then they start on some really basic short forms, working up to the "pillar sets" of CLF ie Saap Ji Kau Dah, Ping Kuen, Ping Jaang Kuen and Ng Lun Chui.

That's how we are weeding out students too. You want to learn to dance go to the ballet school. You want to learn to fight then you got do the simple stuff first, lots of repetition and building up your body for endurance, strength, flexibility, internal ging, breathing, etc.

FP

Actually, I did quite a bit of research on CLF in addition to taking classes ... I will comment upon it if I want to comment upon it.
    Obviously you are free to comment ... but your "reasearch (web, books, what?)" and a few classes does not leave you in a position to comment credibly.

Also, your statement that "IF you ever take up clases/training again," implies something completely different than Master Killer's "I train to train" ... which is excellent by the way.

If you are a serious martial artist you're looking to refine yourself through the journey, by going to class when you're tired, sore, don't feel like it. By measuring how well you can execute X today compared to 3 weeks ago. This is martial arts. A very small percentage of martial artists are compelled to "fight".

The attitude you expressed wouldn't produce much more weather you trained ninjitsu in a bright-orange suit, MMA or special Navy Seal H2H.

Whatever you do in this world, it's in the doing. Research is for those to ponder what other's have done or are doing.

No, the difference between CMA and MMA is that CMA spends a ton of time on useless forms without practical applications.

CMA is a huge waste of time.
    this statement proves to everyone you have not been involved in any good CMA...sorry you have been duped and fooled in the past.

that must suck
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

No, the difference between CMA and MMA is that CMA spends a ton of time on useless forms without practical applications.

CMA is a huge waste of time.
    My god, why are we still discussing this??? Some CMA schools teach just forms, some dont. I do forms for ~15 min as warm up. 99% of the time I spend on martial arts is 2-man drills and exercises, often times with a good deal resistance; its rare a week goes by where I dont come home with a busted lip or a bruised chest or face.

Neil, I understand that you feel the way you do but is there really a need to keep rekindling your anger, ro whatever it is you have? This thread isnt about MMA vs CMA, its about teachers and students. Can we leave it at that?

If I ever go to a school again, it's not going to be CMA, it's going to be MMA because at least they apply their sh*t without B.S.
    Just study what you like; if that's CMA then great, if that's MMA then great.
    I'm sure you'll find good and bad teachers in either group.

As for training just for training ... that makes no sense. Sewing just for sewing? Training just for training? Last I checked this was a martial art. Applied martial arts is fighting.
    Fighting is what I do when some guy decides to grab my wife in a bar.

Training is what I do when I'm working techniques against a resisting partner who won't stab me if I mess up.

Ignoring is what I'll do to the rest of your posts. What a maroon.

As for training just for training ... that makes no sense. Sewing just for sewing? Training just for training? Last I checked this was a martial art. Applied martial arts is fighting.
    Fighting just for fighting?

If you do a thing for the long haul, it's either because 1) You are living in a feudal society where you are owned and have no choice but do it, or 2) You do it because you like doing it simply because you like it.

To my knowledge, Jackie Chan and some people from the PRC are the only people doing martial arts for any other reason than that they like it. No one does it primarily for functionality, since it's a fairly unimportant skill even among combatives.

You are basically up on a high horse with a guy who lives up to the mma fantasy, while you are talking about it. You could be listening, or training, but instead you're talking. Do you think that will get you far in "mma"?
    Last edited by KC Elbows; 07-19-2006 at 12:51 PM.

...CMA is a huge waste of time...
    Why are you here? You add nothing to the community. Leave. Leave now!
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Neily, I'm not sure you can maintain the high ground while posting about your lack of success with women.

I mean, I understand that you don't train, but this whole "why won't women sleep with me" is doing more damagae to your credibility. This kind of behavior only attracts people trolling you into ranting further. What you should do is announce you're leaving. This should prove your point.