Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CLF & relaxed power

I agree 100%, I think I may have misunderstood what he was asking. I thought he was talking about doing the form and imagining fighting someone at the same time because he talked about "picturing targets".

I wasn't really picturing fighting a person when doing forms, more like picturing an imaginary pad or something (to hit) to make sure my focus is in the right place with each technique. It's not really something I've done, I just was wondering if anyone has tried it and what they thought of it. It seems a lot easier to me to coordinate the entire body together when I'm actually hitting a pad so I was wondering if perhaps that would be a good method to translate that coordination to the forms.

Well I'm getting the vibe that basically a good idea is to try to continue to practice and that as I do it'll just come with more repetition and I'll get the feel of it more and more.

That is really the best answer. Definately having a "target" in mind is a good idea when doing a set as it will serve as a point of focus. Just make sure the target is in the right place, meaning don't let it get you into bad posturing or bad form, keep proper alignment and boby mechanics.

Learn not to think. It is hard in the beginning but it will come if you practice hard both during class and out of class on your own.

By the way, who is your sifu?

Blog Entries
    CLFNole,
    His Losi is moi. But we're in different parts of the country now, so I can't physically teach him stuff, except those rare times I go up to visit. Master Wong worked with him not too long ago.

BTW, are you going to be at the Taiji Legacy?
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

123:

No I won't but Joe and Paul will be there with a few students. I am not much into sitting around and judging for a weekend.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole
    123:

No I won't but Joe and Paul will be there with a few students. I am not much into sitting around and judging for a weekend.
    Bummer, I was hoping to meet you - you've provided me with a lot of great information through the years, and I wanted to thank you in person.

Yeah, I'm only going to judge for a little bit. My wife is coming with me, she's never been to one of these before...I'm trying to gauge at what point she's going to start yawning!
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Jeong where you at Zhang's tournament last month?

I sure was, it was my first tournament experience. I really enjoyed it, but I wish there would have been some san shou to really get the full experience.