Thread: 五行棍 / 5 Elements staff from Lee Gar

五行棍 / 5 Elements staff from Lee Gar

Ls,

Within the Pak Mei curriculum we practice this set which I am told comes from the Lee Gar system. Furthermore I do not know much regarding this set. Can someone share some insights on:
    - The origins of the set
    - Do other styles practice it?
    - Why is it called five elements staff?

I hope some of this info can give this form a deeper meaning for me

Best Regards, Lau

Here's a vid of a guy practicing Lee Gar gwun.
    Is it a similar set to this one shown?

http://members.lycos.co.uk/shaolinbl..._Gar_Gwun_.wmv

p.s right click and save as on this link, it's coming from a tripod site and they sabotage external link refererals.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Thank you for posting that. I recognize some of the movements, but our form is very different, always holding the stick at the end with the left hand. We start with hitting the floor (toes) three times while stepping forward right left right. No flashy movements, mainly stabbing and hitting. But chances are that the form we practice has been adapted from the original.

Besides 2 single person forms we have some two person sets, practicing the techniques, footwork and sticky pole cconcepts with a partner.

Best Regardss, Lau

This one is more like it. The video is at the bottom of the page.
    http://www.nykungfu.com/school/Grand...hanTai-San.asp

Best Regards, Lau

Lau

Maybe look towards the 5 element theories is the 1st key, you start as earth center and then move in other directions which is the second clue. Then after that you look at what the other person is attacking with and then you apply the destruction or the 5 elements another clue!!

Basically look at your angles and directions...then again i might be full of it?

Garry

Hi Lau,

I would look to opening salutation moves for clues.

Li or Lee is really quite a generic family name among the Chinese of different dialects. Compounded by the fact that you got Hakka Li and Cantonese Li family Kung Fu.

Looking at the Pak Mei 3 Gates Pole video clip you linked, the first impression is that it’s “Shue Mei” or Single End Pole type execution. Interestingly the Chinese Sifu is using a “Chi Mei” stick.

The only other system to do this kind of stick play is, perhaps, Hsing Yi; using an even diameter stick but thrusting, lifting and stabbing. Void of sweeping moves or flowers that is normally associated with double end stick.

5 elements, 6 combinations and 8 methods are descriptions used throughout kung fu both Northern and Southern.

To trace using any of this is really tough.

Well you got 5 element fists, palms and even chien (straight double edged sword).

Something still postures are the signatures. Do you have a certain techniques that you hold in your form?

Know the name of the posture; this might tell you something of the story behind.

Regards.