Thread: Tiger Balm

Post Tiger Balm

Ingredients
    10 drops essential oil of peppermint
    10 drops essential oil of eucalyptus
    5 drops essential oil of clove
    60 ml extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil
    15 g beeswax

Heat olive oil and beeswax in a double-boiler over low heat. Stir until wax is melted. Remove from heat. Stir in essential oils, and pour into small glass or metal containers to cool.

Your opinion please.

be nice for a shoulder rub from the wife.

melt some camphor crystals into that!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Interesting recipe.
    Just out of curiosity, what is everyone's opinion of the commercial Tiger Balm that you can buy at the store?

No tiger squeezings?
    If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.

Lucky Numbers 11, 8, 39, 46, 5, 17

"Tiger" balms, plasters, etc. that do not contain actual tiger parts, are essentially fake, and do not do the same thing as the real deal. In fact, they're quite useless in comparison. I personally do not advocate the use of tigers due to thier endangered existence, but I did want to point this out.

I was under the impression Tiger Balm was simply a commercial name and had nothing to do with tigers or ingredients. Therefore, it does not need tiger to be effective.

The commercial preparation has never really impressed me unless its the super strong version. I get better results from Ping On ointment, Zheng Gu Shui and just about any Dit Da Jow. But in a pinch, it works great to soothe my aching calves and achilles when out hiking or or working a festival...

peace

herb ox

oh yeah... thanks for the formula, dougadam. Once I get my kitchen back in order I'm gonna try making your formula. I'll probably add/substitute some sesame oil for the olive oil, though I do have some organic coconut oil in the fridge that needs to be used. we'll see...

'ox

but.. butt....

...tiger balm is so darn cheap. Why would I bother to make my own? That would be like making my own dental floss.

I find tiger balm to be excellent for bug bites. And of course, flatulence.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

...well, Gene, if you find it effective in reducing sphincter tightness to allow the gas to pass, you should try encasing a dallop of the Balm in a small torpedo of cocoa butter for a more direct approach

~ox

I agree 100%. Wait, WTF?

WTF is right....

That's the second post by herb ox on 08-10-2006 in reference to my anal functions. Obviously herb ox has some kind of fixation there and I better beware...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I was set up!

Wait a minute, Gene... I was only responding to your 'but... butt' post hailing TigerBalm as a cure for your flatulence. I simply suggested a more direct approach.

As for the Acai berry article, I was simply commenting on your discovery of the juice keeping you 'regular'...

Indeed, Gene, it appears you are the bubbling wellspring... let's rect-ify this situation!

~ox

set up indeed

In fencing, we call that a 'second intention' attack.

And I'm sure if you ask anyone in our circle, they will declare *you* as the 'bubbler'. There's no doubt about that, bro.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I made one in may. I call it Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon Balm. I made it with Eucalyptus, mint, lemon balm, lemongrass, mugwort, lavender, chamomile, wintergreen, white sage, clove and camphor. Smells very good.

tiger balm is pretty good stuff if you get it in the bottle, this is a hell of a lot stronger and works better on strains/aches than the wax stuff.

I tried 'siang pure oil' and this was barely good enough for mosquito bites....

I stick to LKW's wisest oil and random jows for everything nowdays.

craig