Thread: Question for brothernumber9 and anyother Hung Fut stylist.

Question for brothernumber9 and anyother Hung Fut stylist.

I've trained very little in Hung Fut, so my knowledge is very limited about the system. My question is for some of you that have trained Hung Fut for sometime or that have access to your sifu for information.

There are some forms we share within Hung Fut and Hak Fu Mun. Some of these we even share with styles like Hung Kuen and Jow Ga. I'm trying to find out if you or your sifu may have an idea how we share so much, like when and by whom?

Here are just a few of the forms we share.

1.Iron Wire

2.One Armed form

3.Chopsticks and Bowl

4.Demon staff

I don't know if your Iron Wire is directly from Hung Kuen or not, but our's is not from Hung Kuen. The demon staff i think it's safe to say this was introduced to us by White Haired Devil himself as, Wong Cheung trained with him. The one armed form and Chopsticks and Bowl come directly from Soo Hak Fu, so this is one i'm interested in knowing. I'd be very interested to hear what Sifu Tai Yim has to say about this, if anyone could find out?

Just curious...

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

I presume that some or all of these forms would be related by name only. I will ask my Sifu later.

I personally do not know any of the forms in question.

Hung Fut Tit Sin Kuen I beleive is derived from Hung Ga Kuen's but is a little different from what I was told by a sihing. The one arm form is said to be very old, I beleive even before White Hair Devil. And since White Haired Devil taught thousands in his travels and it is not entirely known who he taught what to, it is not impossible that the form was shared. I don't even know if the lineage I learn has a chopstick/bowl set. I've never heard my sifu mention it, and if he knows it, he's never taught it to anyone in the U.S.

The Hung Fut Fung Mo Gwan is by the account that I am told, the most guarded set in our lineage. Only one knows it, and only one from the next gen will know it after him. So I don't think any person outside of this "policy" so to speak has ever learned or been taught the set. However there are several sets with "crazy/mad/devil" and "wind" in them and is much more likely that if any staff sets were shared it would be one of those.

Well, i'm sure that Wong Cheung learned his Hung Fut from WHD. Wong Cheung was known as a master of many styles including Hung Fut,Hung Kuen, and Hak Fu Mun. I agree that the one armed form is pre WHD and is a very old set, so is Iron Wire. Our Iron Wire is also close to Hung Kuens, but it's said that our's is a bit more martial. We also have 5 animals within our Iron Wire.

Any info your sifu could provide would be great!

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

I believe Hung Kam Pui's line in Hong Kong teaches the chopstick& bowl form.

I'll ask him.

My sifu knows who Wong Cheung is, I asked him befoe, but nothing more than that. I beleive Wong Cheung is much older than my Sifu.

I'm afraid it is very difficult to find out who or what traded in or out of the Hung Fut style based on the turbulent past since most of it happened with White Haired Devil. He traveled all over China looking for "Purple Bamboo" temple. His travels were not entirely chronicled, and he taught so many people different things and in doing so developed so many different sets, dozens or more really. So Hung Fut in a bigger picture is not really about a set looking exactly like another one learned by someone else along another branch. I think it is more similar but even more diverse than something like Choy Lay Fut, were there are a few main branches but all are Choy Lay Fut based on and connected by their "seeds" and flavour if you will.

You are learning HF that is propagated primarily by Hung Kueng Seng who was a student of Hung Jiu Shing but learned differently from Hung Yiu Jung. But it's all Hung Kuen Fut Jeong.

Brother#9:

I would imagine that the White Hair Devil altered forms slightly when he taught them to people he met during his travels. Maybe not but why pass on something your real students worked very hard to learn compared to someone you might meet in passing. I think the same can be said of all kung fu and how it is passed on from generation to generation.

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole
    I believe Hung Kam Pui's line in Hong Kong teaches the chopstick& bowl form.

Yeah, that line has it for sure.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

Quote Originally Posted by brothernumber9
    I'll ask him.

My sifu knows who Wong Cheung is, I asked him befoe, but nothing more than that. I beleive Wong Cheung is much older than my Sifu.

I'm afraid it is very difficult to find out who or what traded in or out of the Hung Fut style based on the turbulent past since most of it happened with White Haired Devil. He traveled all over China looking for "Purple Bamboo" temple. His travels were not entirely chronicled, and he taught so many people different things and in doing so developed so many different sets, dozens or more really. So Hung Fut in a bigger picture is not really about a set looking exactly like another one learned by someone else along another branch. I think it is more similar but even more diverse than something like Choy Lay Fut, were there are a few main branches but all are Choy Lay Fut based on and connected by their "seeds" and flavour if you will.

You are learning HF that is propagated primarily by Hung Kueng Seng who was a student of Hung Jiu Shing but learned differently from Hung Yiu Jung. But it's all Hung Kuen Fut Jeong.

Yeah, Wong Cheung was 87 when he passed back in 1989. Your sifu should be about the same age as my sifu. I tend to agree with everything you've said.

Your sifu may or may not know mine, i asked my sifu before if he knew yours. He says he knows of him, but can't remember if they've met or not.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun