Thread: 1 Kung Fu form Is it enough?

1 Kung Fu form Is it enough?

If some one was to learn just 1 form would that be enough for self defense and health?

Depends on the form , the style and what it includes. I would personally say that wouldn't be enough, as each form tends to deal with different aspects of the style. Not all forms are particularly suitable for defending yourself, and may be better for developing internal strength, which would still aid your health, but not necessarily fighting skills, and vice versa.

My old sifu used to feel that it was enough to be an effectively practising student; not necissarily a teacher, as long as it was a foundation type form and not more of a specialization.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

there are a lot of ppl that would say its too many. but i am inclined to think 1 isnt enough. than again it probably depends on the style and the form and how well you learn the applications in the form. i mean it might be a form chock full o' viable techniques and you can dismantle the form and drill the techniques until they are reflexes. but with that said if you dont dismantle what ever forms you learn and drill the techniques in them you could learn 100 forms and be lacking as a fighter. if you are looking to learn a style with very few forms i would suggest you look toward wing chun. i think it has like 3 or 4 hand sets (i might be mistaken though).

yes, one form is often enough, but it should touch on all the principles that drive the system and should not be the exclusive form of practice. YOu still need basics, you still need force feedback and device/apparatus training and you still need to pressure test technique vis a vis sparring and or competition.

Other than that, yes 1 form is enough.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MARTIALSTUDANT
    If some one was to learn just 1 form would that be enough for self defense and health?
    Some would argue it may be one too many.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina
    Some would argue it may be one too many.
    I have to agree with what Ray posted. You don't need forms to learn to defend yourself. It might even take your focus off what really counts. Some try to perfect the form to look all pretty and gracefull, but forget to pull the form apart and train the important aspects of the form.

Buby

I've heard from a few different practitioners from a few different arts that their systems were originally transmitted via one single form. It was the subsequent generations of practitioners that developed additional forms and/or included forms from different systems.

The reasons behind the additional forms may vary; one reason may have been that the "original" form was very lengthy and thus split into sections for ease of transmission (or to lengthen the time for a student to learn the material), another reason may have been that an instructor decided to stress certain ideas or principals and "created" an additional form. My reasoning behind this is that each practitioner is an individual and will normally gravitate to certain aspects of their chosen system of combat, a specialty if you will. So, what better way to showcase a specialty than creating a form that specifically addresses the "specialty?"

But, let's step back a moment and think about the creation of forms in general, aren't forms a collection of techniques to begin with? If we can agree on that, then it should be safe to say that forms were created by individuals who wished to preserve and catergorize their favorite combat techniques for future generations.

All of this to say that I agree with posters R Pina, "some would argue it may be one too many", and D. Jamieson, "one form is often enough, but it should touch on all the principles that drive the system and should not be the exclusive form of practice."

Remember, sometimes it's not how many tools you have in the toolbox, it's how you use the hammer.

Jusat my 2 cents.

Regards to all.

Well Martial Student. Classical Bagua is technically One form. and it is a complex one. takes a few minutes to do the whole form. i think that is pretty much enough. it has all the systems applications and movements and style contained within.
    But we dont just want ONE form, we want more, more more. i stuck with Hsing I/aspects of bagua/ the one mantis form i learned and now the form i just learned form those Wudang Monks last week.
    i used to have a ton of forms under my belt, forms that didnt really serve any practical purpose. so i shed those and now just work with a few things. i consider that plenty. i mean how many ways can you punch and kick effectively? very few and they are easily learned. To me the real challenge is the many ways one blocks and draws and defends. those are the most challenging to learn.

what form have YOU leanred MartialStudent? what System do you study/practice?

Peace,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

If all you do is practice the form then I would say no, it's not enough. Now if you break that form down into its parts and drill the applications on a bag, with a partner and then in sparring then I would say yes.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword
    Well Martial Student. Classical Bagua is technically One form. and it is a complex one. takes a few minutes to do the whole form. i think that is pretty much enough. it has all the systems applications and movements and style contained within.
    But we dont just want ONE form, we want more, more more. i stuck with Hsing I/aspects of bagua/ the one mantis form i learned and now the form i just learned form those Wudang Monks last week.
    i used to have a ton of forms under my belt, forms that didnt really serve any practical purpose. so i shed those and now just work with a few things. i consider that plenty. i mean how many ways can you punch and kick effectively? very few and they are easily learned. To me the real challenge is the many ways one blocks and draws and defends. those are the most challenging to learn.

Peace,TWS
    None and looking was in jkd before i moved but want something with traditional vaule now.