Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Chi translates as what?

Quote Originally Posted by Sui
    good morning gentlemen i hope all is well with your practicing of learning.

just 1 question to see what you are learning,either self taught/realisation or taught by your insurficient sifu.

what is the translation of chi?or what does it mean to you?
    the reason i ask is that i see on tv or read that its far from the truth unless any can prove me wrong,i'm sure some one can.

your nice sui.
    Dumbest question eva!

q: what is the translation of chi?

a: None. It's already an English word in both it's Chinese and Japanese spellings.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/chi
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ki

q: or what does it mean to you?

a: The above definitions are close enough for an English speaker. "Breath" works too as long as you keep the quotes.

Dear Sui,

There are many types of chi so we have to restrict our discussion to kung fu and in this regard we are concerning mainly with our vital chi or chi that keeps us alive.

Everyone has vital chi otherwise we will be dead but we tend to block it and weaken it with our life style and the food we eat etc. and we can see the symptoms in the way we move, the way we hold our postures, the way we breath and talk and the way we think and the mental state we are in.

So if we want to cultivate our vital chi by doing kung fu then we have to pay close attention to our posture/movement, breath and mind intent. When they are all in harmony with each other then we will have “jing” or dynamic force and that allows us to move in a natural but powerful way without us trying hard (wu wei).

In this context chi can be translated as an “energy field” where the “earth” of postures/movements, the “human” of the breath and the “heaven” of the mind are in a synergetic state to make us naturally more powerful and alive.

Most people make the mistake of thinking chi is a singular matter, but in fact it is a “field” of many subsets and to get these things all working in the right way is the main concern of kung fu.

Able to defend ourselves with a strong dose of chi is only one aspect of CMA, what is even more important is to use it to help us live a fuller and healthier life by allowing our vital chi to do what it is designed to do and that is to keep us alive in more way than one!

Hope this makes sense to you.

Regrads,

XJ

fish
    good for you seeking which is bound,but never the less you answerd a dumbest question in your own way at best.unfortunatly not good enough for me and still in misery.

as you can see extrajoseph gives a handsom explanation where he uses some of his own experience and some;some others writing which is a greater in the lines of true seeker.

extrajoseph
    yes makes perfect sense thanks.however just a couple of flaws one is the mention of jing/ging and the other is everyone has vital chi.

is jing related to chi?

does a wooden table contain chi?

but thank you for anwering so that it leads to these questions.

cust what is RPG?

the old way of course,a must latin the father of most languages is deemed useless.but why not in my eye?

"Jake started it" what kind of clue is that
    HTML Code:
    http://www.jaketm.org/site/dsp_default.cfm
    Tusen tak.???????

i'm totally lost.ahhh maybe its the way to find myself?thanks

fish
    good for you seeking which is bound,but never the less you answerd a dumbest question in your own way at best.unfortunatly not good enough for me and still in misery.
    Missing the point which is don't translate it. Either the word is usefull to you or it is not. If it gets in the way then forget about it. If you think you have an idea what it means then go ahead and use it but there's no point if trying to translate it. Words do nothing more than point to ideas. When you were a wordless babbling infant no one ever "translated" any of the words in your mother tongue into anything else for you because . . .there wasn't anything else. You didn't have language yet. Good definitions or translations to NOT instrinsically help understand ideas, in fact, they often get in the way of organic knowledge.

To get truly fluent in a second language one of the primary obstacles is the need to understand it in terms of your first language. The sooner you can stop doing that, the sooner you will become truly fluent in the second language.

Qi/chi/ki is a foreign word that we have imported into English because there is no word or even precise definition for it in the English language. No biggie. Languages add words from other languages all the time. Words like "cool" (as in hip) or "sandwich" have been imported into Chinese and "tofu", "qi", "savior faire" and others have been imported into English.

Trying to define it is an exercise in philisophical thought but the failure to define it well reflects no more on one's understanding of what it "is" than does the failure to define "beauty" or "love" or "truth" but I doubt anyone here is confused over what THOSE words mean. Also, as anyone who has any signifigant experience learning a second language, the fact that "qi" can be translated as MANY different things means NOTHING. Lots of words are like that. Translational choices are contextual. Individual words are just the different tools we use to express meaning. Two carpenters using different tools can both produce a chair that is pretty much the same or two computer programmers using different programming languages, different commands, VERY different code can both produce prgrams that are identical to the end user.

is jing related to chi? - yes.

does a wooden table contain chi? - yes.

LMAO, HAHAHAHAHA Its been years Sui, good to see you in FINE form!

Hows Benny Hill?

Paul Hogan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish
    Missing the point which is don't translate it. Either the word is usefull to you or it is not. If it gets in the way then forget about it. If you think you have an idea what it means then go ahead and use it but there's no point if trying to translate it. Words do nothing more than point to ideas. When you were a wordless babbling infant no one ever "translated" any of the words in your mother tongue into anything else for you because . . .there wasn't anything else. You didn't have language yet. Good definitions or translations to NOT instrinsically help understand ideas, in fact, they often get in the way of organic knowledge.

To get truly fluent in a second language one of the primary obstacles is the need to understand it in terms of your first language. The sooner you can stop doing that, the sooner you will become truly fluent in the second language.

Qi/chi/ki is a foreign word that we have imported into English because there is no word or even precise definition for it in the English language. No biggie. Languages add words from other languages all the time. Words like "cool" (as in hip) or "sandwich" have been imported into Chinese and "tofu", "qi", "savior faire" and others have been imported into English.

Trying to define it is an exercise in philisophical thought but the failure to define it well reflects no more on one's understanding of what it "is" than does the failure to define "beauty" or "love" or "truth" but I doubt anyone here is confused over what THOSE words mean. Also, as anyone who has any signifigant experience learning a second language, the fact that "qi" can be translated as MANY different things means NOTHING. Lots of words are like that. Translational choices are contextual. Individual words are just the different tools we use to express meaning. Two carpenters using different tools can both produce a chair that is pretty much the same or two computer programmers using different programming languages, different commands, VERY different code can both produce prgrams that are identical to the end user.

is jing related to chi? - yes.

does a wooden table contain chi? - yes.

Life tip for Mr. Fish....nobody likes a know-it-all.

Blog Entries
    Some have said that Chi=Vital Force. I reject the notion of vitalism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitalism

Blog Entries
    fu pow's ignore list just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

how funny.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Hi there my old friend.

Why does it matter what it means to me? You will never be me, and thus you will never understand what it means to me, to walk in my shoes as I follow my path. I can only show you shadows of it with my words, and shadows will never suffice.

Matters of the body and spirit are not the same as matters of the intellect.

The only thing that matters is what it means to you. Are you able to recognise it, feel it, to focus it, or even to master it? Or, are you able to let it master you?

I know you don't want apples from my orchard, you have plenty of your own, so, what do you want?

HE WANTS YOUR BLOOOD!!!!!

Yum Cha

Wow, we have the old crew back ready for ROCKY 6 or is it 7?

ding ding round 245......I thought you retired and put you to stud?

Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pow
    Life tip for Mr. Fish....nobody likes a know-it-all.
    Is that why you haven't been returning my calls?

is jing related to chi?

does a wooden table contain chi?

but thank you for anwering so that it leads to these questions.
    The three treausres of man are jing (ging), qi (chi) and shen so they are related and refer the the same thing in their different states of expression. The metaphor people often used is that jing is like water in its ice state, qi in its liquid state and shen in its vapour state, but they are in essence the same thing - vital qi that keeps you alive.

A wooden table has chi (qi) also but its quality is different to the vital chi we are talking about here. A wooden table is only an object, it is inorganic and has no feelings or organs so we cannot use the same term to compare the two. Hence the Chinese always use another character with qi to define its quality more precisely, like tianqi (qi of the sky - weather), shenqi (qi of the spirit) and muqi (qi of matter as referring to the table) etc.

cust

rpg-oh like D&D,man they were the good old days.

how about an easier clue then?

вы радушны x 1000

Goi,
    wow so i guess i should forget about it?and now i know why is a dumb question

f.t benny hill lol.croc dundee.hahahaha

fu p reject you may,then ignorance is truly bliss and stagnant i become.