Thread: Why do we study Martial arts?

Why do we study Martial arts?

WHY

"Why" is the most important question in any language, because it is the hardest to answer. Who, what, when, and where are all questions of physical time and space, easily measured, scientifically quantifiable. "Why" is not measurable, unknowable in that its application is purely subjective. One my attempted to infer the "why" of someone else through empathy, but more often that not that person does not understand their own "why". The Merovingian of the Matrix trilogy said "Why is power". "Why" is what drive the Who, what, when and where, and why we must find the truth of our own "why's" in every experience we have. Knowing that we do something based on an emotion, triggered buy some past experience allows us to affect change with in our selves, and control our "why", just as knowing about others allows us to manipulate their"why".

Asking our selves Why is a means of Self-evaluation and allows us to control our own evolution, by allowing us to concentrate on whats really important.

SELF DEFENSE

Do you Train for Self-defense? I think most of us Don't train for that reason. Who here really expects to get into a fight in the future. I, having moved on from the bullies of the school yard, find the my self having to face some form of random violence to be in the realm of highly unlikely. If that were my purpose and I never had to use my knowledge for self-defense then I would never get to see the fruits of my labor and my time would have been wasted. I know I wouldn't invest this much of my time and effort training for something that might happen. If that's what I was here for I should be spending an equal amount of time studying defensive driving.
    I think we train for self-defense because it is the expression of our art, and with out it the "truth" of what we do changes from, Martial arts, to mere Performance arts.
    So, for me Self-defense is not the why I study, just the why these arts are Martial.

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT

Do you train for Character development? Do you train because you feel your are lacking in some ways in Humility, Respect, Discipline, Morals? These are all things that can be gained in greater quantities through the practice of the Martial arts, and through the practice of just about anything else. It is not the Martial arts them selves which bring these qualities out but our dedication to its practice. These things are not actively taught in the Martial arts. I have never seen a curriculum that had patience written as a rank requirement. Because they are not actively taught as most school, they are merely a by product of our training and there for can not be our motivation for studying the Martial arts. If it were then our time would be better spent studying Philosophy.

COMPETITION

Some my study Martial arts as an outlet for their competitive spirit. But unless your are studying a Martial arts whose application is pure Martial sport, like Modern wushu, then that couldn't be your reason for Studying Martial arts. If you believe that competition is your reason for Studying Martial arts, then you must ask yourself why you chose the Martial arts as your outlet instead of some other individual sport. I believe people who chose Martial arts as their competitive outlet had other greater underlying reasons for doing so.

HEALTH

Do you believe you study the Martial arts for its health benefits? The study of the Martial arts can certainly have it's benefits on health and fitness, but so can a dozen other activities. So, we again are led back to the "Why" choose Martial arts. How many pot bellied western masters have you seen?

CONNECTION

I believe we train in the Martial arts because we are all great big NERDS! We train for the connection it gives us to ancient cultures and histories of the world. Allowing our selves to be immersed in the exotic rituals of the far away and long gone. We train because it makes us feel connected to something greater and older than our selves. We train to be apart of that tradition.

We train for the illusions of personal empowerment it gives us, allowing us to play out our childhood fantasies of being great heroes who could beat the crap out of the bad guys. We train because we grew up on tales of Knights, Swashbucklers, Detectives, and Super heroes.

CONCLUSION

Self-defense is what we train

Character development is just a byproduct of out commitment to training

Competition and Health can be found through a hundred other outlets.

I train because deep down I'm just a nerdy kid reading tales of valor, and pretending to battle the monsters in my closet.

Why do you Train?
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

I train because I enjoy the act of training. It's healthy, it feels good, I like it. Period.

no agenda.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

It keeps me skinny for thong season.

Blog Entries
    Health, self-defense, fun, challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan
    WHY

Why do you Train?
    It was fun. It is fun but also hardwork. It is a practice of endurance and diligence over time.

For me, it takes my mind away from daily work, family, church etc.

My body is "relaxed" and "tuned". I am more aware of my bodily condition. or feels "alive" after passive activity of daily work or chores.

Why asks why?

there are many small y's in the big Y.

---

I started training as a small child due to my parents enrolling me in the local park & rec classes, lol. Later when I was around 10 or 11 y/o it became more of a fighting thing. My neighborhood had many bullies and self-defense became necessary on a daily basis. Throughout high school I started to become very serious about how and way I trained. I started to focus more on all aspects of my art. The health and fitness aspects didnt really kick in until I realized the health and wellness benefits. Once I realized that my strength, endurance, speed, flexibility, agility, etc was being enhanced due to my training, everything started to change for me.... This is why I dont believe in the Black Belt rank under the age of 16/18 y/o. Maturity of the mind and understanding is very important. Anyway, From junior year in high school through present day, I train to build build superior health and fitness. With this said, the MA is a lifestyle for me, not a hobby or fascination. In my personal training or outlook on training, I veiw self-defense as the by-product..... I do focus on self-defense but overall health and fitness is my first priority. My formula is, health and fitness + martial technique = effective self-defense (generalized)..... My veiw on training is to increase my overall health and fitness in order to live a long productive life. I also like the culture and philosohpy of asian arts. Really, there's so many more reason on why I train, just cant put them all in a post, but most importantly are the reasons listed above.
    The Style Doesn't Make The Master Famous. The Master Makes The Style Famous!

I train because I love it. I really don't think I could put in words exactly what it is that makes me want to keep training.

I initially got into the martial arts because I was looking for something to keep me in shape. I figured I could kill two birds with one stone by learning some self-defense at the same time. After my first class I knew I found something that I really liked. But I really don't train for self-defense or health any more. Sure, those are wonderful side effects, but that's not why I train now. I just dig it.

There's nothing quite like the feeling after you've finished training--be it working on your forms, working the bag, or having your ass handed to you on the mat.
    Last edited by Reggie1; 07-24-2006 at 08:01 AM.