Thread: Northern Shaolin 7 animals?

Northern Shaolin 7 animals?

Every one has heard about the southern 5 animal style? Southern styles of kung fu have five animals and northern styles have seven. Apparently in the north they have a 7 animal system. Tiger, Snake, Dragon, Crane, Eagle, Mantis, and Monkey. Has anyone heard of this?
    Last edited by SanHeChuan; 07-24-2006 at 09:15 AM.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

As far as I know, Eagle, Mantis, and Monkey are complete systems unto themselves, where as Tiger, Leaopard, Snake, Crane & Dragon are components of a single system.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Eagle Mantis and Monkey are all Northern Styles but I've never heard of a 7 animals system.
    Where did the Leopard go? was it absorbed into the Tiger or Abandoned totally?

Perhaps the "7 Animals" represent the main "Individual Systems" or concepts of Northern Kung Fu "Schools"
    I dunno

In Hsing-I there's a bunch of other animals as well , but not the above mentioned.

I have never really heard of it either, and I may be misinterpreting something. I had thought that since the 5 animals were infused throughout the southern systems I might find a similar correlation with 7 animals being represented in different northern styles.

It may just be a unique occurrence. I had never heard of the Phoenix Eye style or Yau Kung Mun, meaning style of flexible power, Yet they exist.

What animals are represented in CLF, just the 5 or are there more?

Did the north just do Single animals systems like, Eagle, Monkey, Mantis, Tiger, etc...

Are there not elements of other animals in these Northern styles? Even styles that are not considered animal styles usually have some animal forms/techniques in them, right?
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

When I hear "7 Animals Kungfu" I get a very negative feeling, though I can't remember exactly where I first heard that term to make me feel that way. A quick search did bring me to a link to this website: http://www.kungfugeneve.ch/ which is not in English. The brief English discriptions though on the webpage I found it through said "Association Suisse Kung fu Tao Lung - Tibetain Kung fu - 7 animals : cat, tiger, snake, monkey, eagle, mants, dragon - the style is external/internal"

The animals are close, except for cat instead of crane...

I'm starting to remember a bit... I remember videos of a guy with a mullet wearing a karate gi... some B.S. history about mandarins... and a "da sifu"? Grr... I can't remember the name of the group

I don't know about the seven animals of Northern Shaolin. It wouldn't surprise me if the animals you state are included, but it would would surprise me if Leopard is not in there somewhere.
    Figure Eight

funny...

those are the same animals that were painted on the walls at our old school, though there was a leopard too. I have no idea who painted them.

B-rad : don't start, there is already a thread for that sort of thing here
    Words!

Just words!

there are....

8 major animal styles( and many minor animal styles )....... leopard ,tiger ,crane, snake , dragon, mantis , ape, and eagle... the first five are are both individual and a collective style .there are both northern and southern versions developed independantly and -interdependantly of each other.the eagle ,ape, and mantis are individual styles/ .....